The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

Windows Vista PC very unstable

(6 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by LyricWulf
  • Latest reply from LyricWulf
  • Topic Viewed 1555 times

LyricWulf

I have an HP Pavillion Entertainment PC which is kinda old, and it had a few problems (audit.exe) but it got to the point where I couldn't even open and programs, so I recovered it. After the recover the computer got worse, my computer told me that some disk issues were found, but when I tried to run chkdsk it freezes when it tried to fix free clusters in log files or something. Please help!

Ps: I can't download or install anything, I can't store any cookies (not even to log in, I'm on my phone)

Posted 1 year ago

Ruja

Welcome to the HTG forums!

Your hard drive may be faulty. You could try to check that by using an Ubuntu Live CD. You can use a Live CD to access Ubuntu on your computer without installing or changing anything. You can download the ISO image of Ubuntu Live CD from http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop . Select 12.04 (32-bit version). Burn it to a CD or DVD with ImgBurn www.imgburn.com .

To boot from the CD or USB via the "Boot Menu" you may need to press ESC or F9 during the HP screen when you turn on your computer. Then select your CD / DVD device to boot. Once the installer shows up, select "Try Ubuntu".

You will be able to access the forums with your PC using Firefox in Ubuntu. Once you get to the Ubuntu Desktop, select the "Dash Home" icon on the top of the launcher.

Then search for "Disk Utility".

On the left, select your hard drive, and then check the disk's "SMART Status" and click on "SMART Data".

Check the SMART Data for any problems.

If you have trouble booting into Ubuntu try again, but this time, when you boot from the CD/DVD, you will first see this tiny logo at the bottom of the screen:

At this point you must press a key, ENTER for instance. You will be presented with a list of languages, English is already selected so press ENTER. Then you will see this:

Press F6, and go down to "nomodeset" by pressing DOWN ARROW.

Press SPACE, the "nomodeset" option will be selected.
Press ESC, the menu will close.
Press ENTER to boot into Ubuntu.

If you have any trouble please ask us.

Posted 1 year ago

LyricWulf

I can't download anything onto the computer... It says that it can't find the file at [dl site here] and it says that every time I try to install something.

UPDATE: Now the laptop can only boot in safe mode, and it still boots very slowly.

Posted 1 year ago

Ruja

You will have to download the ISO image and burn the CD or DVD using another computer. Once you boot from the Live CD, it won't use the hard drive, so you will be able to use Ubuntu without trouble.

Posted 1 year ago

gedstar

You could check the BIOS and see if there's a Hard Disk Test Utility there and run that.

Posted 1 year ago

LyricWulf

Thanks Ruja, I'll try that as soon as I can get my hands in another computer.

I ran chkdsk a few times and I got it to the point where it reads no more errors, but the system still has trouble maintaining itself.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.