How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

Windows Vista Partition Problem

(9 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by georgelaljohn
  • Latest reply from raphoenix
  • Topic Viewed 7147 times

georgelaljohn
georgelaljohn

I am having a DELL XPS M1330 laptop. It has already 4 primary partitions for the 160Gb available. These partitions where there when i bought the laptop. The partitions are:
One for the OS , The other for the Recovery.Then one for the dell media direct software. And other one for some other .
The OS loaded partition is 140Gb and 15Gb for Recovery and rest for the others.Is there any way i can have another partition for the hard disk .A secondary partition would do. But data on this should not be lost if i have to reinstall the OS. Can some one help me out???

Posted 6 years ago

bamsan
bamsan

On a PC, you can only have 4 partition, if you want to have more, you'll need to create logical drives inside an extended partition

So, on your system I'll suggest you to have 3 primary, and 1 extended. Later you create logical drives inside the extended partition as many as you wish and the OS permits. The best option would be backup the 'other' partition, delete it, then create an extended partition on the free space. Now you can create some logical drives inside the extended partition and restoring your data

Hope this helps

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

I'm not sure you can backup those primary partitions and restore them as logical ones. The software on them may not work afterwards.

Why do you need another partition anyways? If it's to install Windows XP why do you need it? Windows Vista should do most things just fine.

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Good grief! What is Dell thinking using up all the partitions on a brand new system? Here's a website that shows how they use them:
http://www.goodells.net/dellre.....direct.htm

georgelaljohn, it looks like your system might already have 5 (!) partitions as shown on that web page. Is Dell MediaDirect actually worth all this hassle? Has anyone used it?

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

@ScottW: I haven't really used it but I did run it once. The MediaDirect partition has a minimal copy of Windows XP with just the MediaDirect software running so you can play movies, DVDs and other media without loading a full OS.
I imagine it would be useful for watching things while you are on battery as it would save battery life to not have other things running. Not to mention it would probably load faster then the installed OS if you have many things in it.
Also Dell laptops have a Dell MediaDirect button next to the power button to power on and load that.

Edit: And of course right after sending this post I see the post at http://www.howtogeek.com/forum.....post-27293 saying the same thing.

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

jd, that is helpful even though I've seen the video clip from Dell. What I'm wondering is if this feature is useful, practical. Do you use it? Do you like knowing that it's there even though you don't use it? Would you rather have your HD space back? Personally, I don't think that I would use this and I would not want 3 partitions taken up by Dell so that I can't partition my HD the way I want to.

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

No, I don't use it myself. A situation to use it in hasn't presented. I could see how it could be useful it someone wanted to watch a movie on an airplane or something. Hard drive space wise there is so many gigabytes of space now a days that it doesn't matter.
As for knowing it's there, I don't really care about it either way. It's on my Dad's laptop and he doesn't need any extra space or partition changes. The same above still applies to my Dad's usage of it too. He hasn't used it either.
Also you can still do what you want with the partitions if you don't need the feature. Just delete the partition and do what you want.

Edit: Now that I think about it, it probably would bug me to have all the partitions used if it was my laptop due to my dual boot of Windows and Linux.

Edit 2: If I did find it useful and needed another partition I would probably get rid of the recovery partition sense I know how to reinstall Windows and the preinstalled software and drivers manually.

Posted 6 years ago

ZaneH

I don't know if this has been mentioned elsewhere but that 4th much smaller partition is a diagnostic partition and probably should not be messed with.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

ALL,

Opinion:

Do (NOT) ever purchase a computer that you do not have a Full Set of Machine Specs For, a Complete Copy of Machine Drivers For and A Full Copy of the O/S you intend to use. Otherwise, you will end up in the conversation above (LOL) (LOL) :) :)

Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!