How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

(Solved) - windows vista Add "Open with" to right click Context Menu

(16 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by scr621
  • Latest reply from LH
  • Topic Viewed 16944 times

scr621

Can anyone help me with a registry hack to enable
Add "Open with" to right click Context Menu (Windows vista)

I have copy to, move to etc but need the above also please

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

I don't understand. "Open with" is in the right click context menue for most filetypes (not all). Check it once with a picture (.jpg or .jpeg). It should be there.

Posted 6 years ago

scr621

That option just simply is NOT on my system. There's 'edit with', 'open' but NOT 'open with', which allows you to choose what program you want to open 'whatever' it is with. For example I have some text files & for some reason every time I try to open them I'm given a pile of options. I also need the registry hack so that I as in ME & NOT my system can decide which program I want to open say an image file with.
I did have the registry hack but not any more :(

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Try running this, to see if your "Open with" is disabled.
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shell_menu_view.html

Posted 6 years ago

scr621

Thank you for the awesome program, but from what I can see, everything is as it should be.

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

OK. How about this. (Remember to back up your registry before making any changes)

Open regedit and navigate to "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell

Right click on "shell" and select "new" > "key"
type in "Open With" (without quotes) press <Enter>

Right click on "Open With" and select "new" > "key"
type in "Command" (without the quotes) press <Enter>

With "Command" highlighted,
On the right pane, right click on "(Default)" and select "Modify..."
In the edit box, type or paste in the following (exactly as it is written)

rundll32.exe shell32.dll,OpenAs_RunDLL %1

Posted 6 years ago

cfc2300

I find winbubble ( http://www.softpedia.com/get/T.....bble.shtml )to be the best tweaker and there is an option to add items to the right click context menu. I have used Lighthouse's method and that works fine. I have two computers with Vista and neither came with an option to "open with" or "move to" "copy to" etc. Quite irritating, as are the user permission controls which are intrusive to say the least. i am getting used to Vista, but I can't say I prefer it over XP, even now. Many ordinary people like it because it comes with a new computer, and they notice the speed of the computer and ascribe it to Vista. if they saw how fast their new computer went with XP, I bet loads of people would specify XP, especially if you told them that they would have to spend days and some cash on upgrading printers, software etc. to get to where they were before.

Posted 6 years ago

scr621

Lighthouse Moderator ..... a gazillion thank you's. This is EXACTLY what I was looking for & it worked.
I wuv you ;)

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

What a nice start to a Saturday morning :)

Posted 6 years ago

wildshovel

Lighthouse -- just want to say that this response did the trick for me too. I've been wanting this in Vista for quite a while.

Thanks!

Posted 5 years ago

LH
LH

wildshovel, thanks, yes it's me :)

Posted 5 years ago

david999

thanks Lighthouse fixed the problem for me vista 32 sp1

Posted 5 years ago

Klexur
Klexur

this fix worked for me and i was able to get the menu item back, but i still don't have the Open With menu item. The menu that opens to the side and has the most recently used applications for a file type listed. how do i get that menu back?

Posted 3 years ago

LH
LH

Klexur, could you ask that question in a New Topic please.

Posted 3 years ago

Jimbowhap

Well my open with context menu disapeared due to me messing with programs that edit the menu (OpenExpert), I got it back following Lighthouse. But the open with submenu had gone. Then the other day was messing with OpenExpert again and found that under the options tab there was a tick box that had disabled my sub menu and the open with menu in the first place. Running OpenExpert as admin then unticking the box fixed my context menu, hope this helps someone.

Posted 3 years ago

LH
LH

Thanks Jimbowhap. I hadn't heard of Open Expert, but have just downloaded it, to have a look see :)

Posted 3 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!