The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Windows Updates Available

(42 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by raphoenix
  • Latest reply from raphoenix
  • Topic Viewed 5890 times

LadyFitzgerald

raphoenix said: "I just found out today my Logitech Win7 Mouse Driver was calling home !!!!"

That's one of the major things I love about Zone Alarm's free firewall; unless I have already given it permission, it will block any program from phoning home and alert me that it is. i can then decide if I want to lett it this time only, not allow it this time only, or either block or allow it permanently. When first installed, the popup notifications are a hurt in the donkey until the firewall has been "trained." After "training,", ZA is pretty much invisible.

Posted 4 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

Most firewalls are like that. I have McAfee's and my wife has Norton. Both have the same feature. One can set the warning level. On both machines they are turned off and told to do what it thinks best. Best may not be what you want though. McAfee's will close ports to new apps, and in some cases this has led to program problems, like s/w never getting updated or in rare cases, not working correctly. Norton will keep some ports that it considers 'benign' open even for new apps, but it too has had its share of problems that require attention. Both of them 'choked' on the network changing when I just did something as minor as changing the router channel, and to top it off, my system is hard wired to the router and shouldn't care. I forgot what the problem was but it had to do with ports I recall?

I could never get a comfortable setting with either of these, either I got warnings and popups at some level or nothing. Went for nothing, but I do have to check occasionally.

Big program for both of these is when you do do an upgrade and MUST remove the old version. The new install is treated as a new program and doesn't always inherit the old settings all the time, some times it does, sometimes it doesn't, you just don't know when this happens.

Irv S.

Posted 4 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

Mickey,

"upon further inspection i never receive the (KB971033) update.
what would be the reason for me not receiving the (KB971033) update?"

Does it show up when you run Windows Update from the ALL PROGRAMS list?

It shows there for me, but it seems to be staying there? I'm set for auto-update and to be checked at 9AM every morning and it has not been d/l'ed or installed since it was put out? 5 others were installed on the 24th, 2 days ago, KB976264, 978637, 979306, 976662, and 977863. The 1st two and the last were recommended, the other 2 important. 971033 is listed as important as well and is also 'pending', but it never comes down? Wonder why?

Irv S.

Posted 4 years ago

mfletch
mfletch

Same here never received the (KB971033) update.

Posted 4 years ago

mickeyblue
mickeyblue

even for the all programs list, doesnt show up. hmmm interesting.

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

What OS are you all running ?

Posted 4 years ago

mickeyblue
mickeyblue

Win7 32-bit ultimate and 64-bit ultimate.

Posted 4 years ago

mfletch
mfletch

Win7 32-bit ultimate

Posted 4 years ago

LadyFitzgerald

@ispalten I don't have any problems when Zone Alarm needa an update (which isn't excessively often). It merely tells me an update is available, giving me the option to pick when to deal with it (best choice) or to ignore it (bad idea). It basically replaces the old version with the new one but it will carry all my settings over to the new version so no reconfiguration is needed unless I'm just really, really bored and want to reconfigure (lessee, the last time I was that bored was in 1992). I also have total individual control over what gets blocked or not, the level of blocking, and how much interruption occurs.

One of the biggest reasons I will no longer will use any Norton/Symantec products is they choke my computers. I've heard McAfee isn't any better.

Btw, if one is concern abbout old programs or bad files being left installed after updating, just download and run run Secunia PSI. It automatically scans for any updates your programs need once every week or two although scans can be initiated at anytime. By using the advanced mode (not all that complicated, even I was able to figure it out), it will tell you if any dangerous artifacts are left behind.

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@mickeyblue,
---
The (KB971033) Update may not be available in some world regions due to recent geo-political issues which are under dispute.
---
@ALL,
Also the the (KB971033) Update was shown as NOT Check Marked for Installation on most machines which have already PAed and are known to have legitimate licenses such as mine.
---
Thus, I just hid the Optional Update as it is Non-Applicable.
---
Didn't mean to create such an "up-roar" with this Routine Reminder Topic. :(
---
Best Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 4 years ago

mickeyblue
mickeyblue

no "uproar" just general interest, which is good. will wait and see on that update, not that its important or anything, was just interested :)

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

Hey Rick, we love it :)
Chaos rules.

Posted 4 years ago

LadyFitzgerald

Constructive chaos is a good thing!

Posted 4 years ago

mzakho

http://www.snapdrive.net/files/505203/zzz.swf

Posted 4 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

Lady Fitzgerald,

The uninstall/install issue was not for the A/V but other programs on the system.

Well, McAfee is completely transparent and non-invasive on my system, but it is an Intel i7-920 with plenty of ram running W7. Not much will bog it down, even video processing and DVD Authoring. Those 2 would bog down my older XP system on a hyperthreaded 3.6GHZ Intel processor. Norton ISS 2010 is running on an XP MCE 2002 SP 3 system that is powered by a fairly slow Intel Core 2 Duo 2.13 GHZ processor. My wife doesn't even know it is running until it puts up a message, non-invasive too, and it doesn't bother the system even when running a full system deep scan. I'd say compared to older versions, Suite's today have vastly improved, but so then has the horsepower on computers.

The biggest problem probably with Norton today remains the remnants it leaves behind when you remove it. Many people have problems putting on different versions of Norton and must do a FULL clean before either replacing with different Norton Suites or even another suite from a different vendor.

Right now, McAfee's Anti-Spam doesn't work well with Thunderbird 3.0 and Win7. I'm waiting for that to be fixed, but I do have another Anti-Spam tool I used so I'm not worried.

Irv S.

Posted 4 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

MZahko, what is that link for? I get BANDWIDTH exceeded, some words on it please?

Rick, mine doesn't show as 'optional' at all, but it just never gets d/l'ed? Could it be because of how I installed W7 (timeframe they last got notified?) or that I'm using a Dell and 'they' know it?

Also, I think you don't fully understand the concept of the 'fix'. I think it is two sided, protection against YOU having a cracked copy AND possible damage done to your system by virii or trojans? At least, if I 'believe' MS and accept this quote, "This update also detects any tampering attempts made to important Windows 7 system files. Be aware that some counterfeit copies of Windows include malware." from the fix description.

Even with this, and if it is REALLY doing a service for you and not just MS, I would assume it is activated every 90 days? If so, it might not be of ANY value for protecting you...

Irv S.

Posted 4 years ago

LadyFitzgerald

Irv, I'm sorry if I wasn't clear, but I was referring to programs other than the AV when I was talking about Secunia PSI. I'm still on XP but even after I upgrade to WIN 7, I'll still be restricted to 32 bits because of program incompatiblity with 64 bits. sice photo editing can put some significant strain on RAM, forgive me if I'm kindasorta greedy about how much RAM I'll give up to an AV.

Forgot to mention...if Zone Alarm is set to always allow a program to "phone home," Secunia will report (via popup bubble) if a program does an update. I use that as a signal to initiate a scan to make sure nothing harmful was left behind.

Posted 4 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

Lady, don't get me wrong, I used Secunia in the past, just didn't think it was worth it? Actually as I recall it was the program classification that got me. They listed UPGRADES as NEWER VERSIONS.. Many times I found if I did this I had to pay for the upgrade, for instance I use Nero 8 and Nero 9 is out, and they'd list this as a newer version. I had too many 'old' programs and ones I didn't want to update on my system and it got to be bothersome.

I'm running 64 bit and I've hit very little in the way of not finding something to use? Almost all 32 bit programs will operate in x64? It is the old DOS 16 bit programs that really can't, and if your willing to start a DOS Emulator you can run those too. Probably a VM session of XP might as well, but you need better than W7 Home Prem. to really use that.

When I first got Vista x64 I hit a problem with my Canon Camera's ZoomBrowser program. Turned out it was Vista returning a return code due to an event handler. Turned the event handler off an it ran. I can't think of any other program that gave me trouble due to 64 bit?

Irv S.

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@Irv,
---
I have ALL Genuine MS stuff. Just a polite warning to others.
---
Only use A/V when I do maintenance, NEVER Real Time. MODED Router takes care of everything.
---
We Build "um"; we Fix "um". :) :)
---
As me and a MOD were discussing the other day, "Ain't nobody we can call for support except ourselves to make our machines run properly 24/7. (LOL)
---
Never trust MS. (LOL) (LOL)
---
Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 4 years ago

LadyFitzgerald

Irv, my Music Notation program, Finale Allegro won't run on 64 bit. Even full blown Finale is tempermental on 64 bit WIN 7. There have been reports on their Forums about trouble with 64. There was another one or two but I don't remember offhand which ones.

Btw, Secunia just reported Adobe's installer program is a cat 4 threat. Adobe is recommending deleting the program usings the control panel's uninstaller. I know, Foxit is a better and safer reader but I need full blown Acrobat 9 for my use and my ScanSnap S1500 scanner needs it to operate.

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!