How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Windows Updates Available

(42 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by raphoenix
  • Latest reply from raphoenix
  • Topic Viewed 5890 times

raphoenix
raphoenix

General reminder that MS Updates are available.
---
Wn7-64 (At least 5 as of Tuesday 23, 2010)
---
CAUTION:
Some might NOT want to install <Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB971033)>
---
Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 4 years ago

GKI610
GKI610

There were 2 for XP, also.

What's the skinny on KB971033?

Posted 4 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

Yep also had one that wouldn't install on Vista x32 - KB979306. Error code: 80070643.

Posted 4 years ago

vistamike
vistamike

Morning Sarah, could be many things when I looked, but office 2003 and.Net Framework pop up often; this from Microsoft;
'Windows Update error 80070643 can happen for several reasons. The most common cause is a problem with the .NET Framework installed on the computer. You might also encounter this error when installing updates for Microsoft Office 2003. If you were installing Microsoft Office 2003 updates when you received the error, follow the instructions in the "Microsoft Office 2003" section below. Otherwise, follow the instructions in the "Windows .NET Framework" section.'
You could browse Windows update error.
I in stalled 979306 ok but it took 15 mins to configure the update on rebooting. (Vista 32 H Premium),

Mike

Posted 4 years ago

ProstheticHead
ProstheticHead

I've got 6 updates awaiting approval for my Vista 32 system. I think I'll run a backup before installing anything.

Posted 4 years ago

mickeyblue
mickeyblue

i installed all updates pertaining to win7 32-bit and 64-bit, no problems at all.

EDIT : both are ultimate version

Posted 4 years ago

ian2
ian2

These were fine on Windows Home 7

But waiting on installing this one

Posted 4 years ago

GKI610
GKI610

KB971033 installed ok on my Win 7 HP.

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@GKI610,
---
The <SOME> I referred to in my first post on the topic concerning Update KB971033 are those who (may) have non-standard system configurations.
---
This doesn't apply to you.
---
Be happy !! :)
---
Best Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 4 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

@ vistamike - thanks for the input, but I don't worry much about it. Just disabled the update, because I don't have Office 2003 installed - so why on earth would I need this???
Will take a look at the link you posted though ;)

Posted 4 years ago

GKI610
GKI610

@SarahJames, do you have anything like Powerpoint Viewer, or an old version of Word on your machine?

Thanks, Rick. I am happy

Posted 4 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

Uh, are we talking about the same update, KB971033?

===================
More information about this update
This update for Windows Activation Technologies helps detect validation errors and activation exploits. This update also detects any tampering attempts made to important Windows 7 system files. Be aware that some counterfeit copies of Windows include malware.

When this update is installed, it performs a validation process for the copy of Windows that is running on your computer. However, this validation process does not affect the functionality of Windows. The update process exits silently if it detects no validation errors, activation exploits, or tampered files.
===================

It has nothing to do with Office 2003 Sarah? If is specifically for Win7.

Interestingly, I found this on the web :

--------------------

When you are installing updates over the next week or so be aware that Microsoft has finally released their anti-piracy update (KB971033) which can cause issues for many Windows 7 users, even those who got their copy of Windows 7 legitimately.

To quote: "For those of you who have a pirated copy of Windows 7 or have bought your computer from Dell, Best Buy or Gateway where Windows 7 was pre-installed you may want to stay away from this update.

While it isn’t supposed to make your operating system unusable, it will keep asking you to pay for it and will also make your wallpaper a boring blank solid color.

So before you decide to just install all of your updates when you shut down your computer make sure you check to make sure the file isn’t downloaded and ready to install. This is of course if you did not install the operating system yourself or pirated it."
=========

Note the warning above? I have a DELL and it was NOT automatically d/l'ed. My Dell came with Vista x64 and I purchased the MS Upgrade so I have a valid license, but it somehow (Windows Update) knew not to automatically install, still sitting there as an additional 'important update is available'.

Irv S.

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

I did not want to be SO "blunt" in my opening comment. (LOL) (LOL)
---
I figured the <SOME> knew who they were. (LOL) (LOL)

Posted 4 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

@ ispalten - Mine has something to do with time and date and the summertime/wintertime difference.

@ GKI610 - yes, I have Office 97 :)

@ vistamike - I downloaded the windows fixit, but that didn't fix a thing (like I exspected - not very fond of the Fixit concept).
Will have another look later on, but can anyone confirm for me that this update can be skipped without problems?

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

Sarah. You didn't need the time and date ones (unless you were having a problem with the time and date)
You should skip all updates until you have checked them out.

Posted 4 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

Yep, I mostly wait a couple of days and see if anyone here has a problem, so I know what to avoid <LOL>.
I'll leave it be and just disable this update like I originally intended;)

Goodnight!

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Read TOTAL Article.

Very Intrusive MS Update even if one is Pure and Legitimate.

http://www.computerworld.com/s.....2010-02-25
---
Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 4 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

Rick, I've got SO MANY programs 'calling home' I wouldn't think another would matter. The number of programs that either insert a startup 'update' applet or will check for updates is unbelievable.

I was more worried about the comment that it would turn legit copies into questionable ones that need validating again.

I think under XP when you went to get updates it checked and loaded a new copy of WGA. Cracked versions couldn't get updates then. Of course, cracks to get around that appeared, so it was a never ending battle.

I suspect if enough people don't get the update, in the future it will either sneak in another way or it will be like XP, if you don't have it, it will be considered non-updatable.

Irv S.

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Irv,
---
I know what you mean.
---
I just found out today my Logitech Win7 Mouse Driver was calling home !!!!
---
Fixed that one this morning. :) :)
---
Best Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 4 years ago

mickeyblue
mickeyblue

upon further inspection i never receive the (KB971033) update.
what would be the reason for me not receiving the (KB971033) update?

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.