The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 8

Windows update,and Patches

(20 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by secretmechanism
  • Latest reply from secretmechanism
  • Topic Viewed 625 times

secretmechanism

Hi all, the settings in Windows update is it wise to set to automatic,my old pc had updates that were not needed for my system yet they were sent, does Microsoft just send whatever to your machine,if so how do you work around the worse of Windows update,how do you know which update to install. my other question is regarding Patches and iv read a few stories were Microsoft have sent a bugged patch thats caused more problems than its cured,how do you deal with these.thanks

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

Set it to be notified but don't download for a week or so. That should allow time for errors to be rectified by the time you download them. With W8 being new I would think you want all the updates as it is still being ironed out.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

If you have the time and inclination to research each and every update and decide whether or not your computer deserves it then I say go ahead. Microsoft analyzes your computer setup to decide which patches to push to you. They would be different for different computers. Personally I do not have the time or inclination to do so so mine are installed automagically.

I have never, ever, since Windows 1 had a problem with any updates.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

I think checking which updates are good and which ones are bad is a lost venture. Best is to either keep the restore points that are always created before an update (you have to define a large shadowstorage) or - even better- make an image before updating.

The advantage of images is that you control them and you can keep them as long as you like. Restore points have the habit of disappearing at times for no obvious reason.

If you go the image route, you should keep all user data in a seperate partition. That way you don't lose any of your work when you restore the system. If you restore with restore points, the user data will not be touched.

Posted 1 year ago

secretmechanism

Thanks guys, i think ill keep the setting on auto, like Xhi said its having the time, and knowing which update to download, thanks again for all your input

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Expect problens in that case. At least make an image before they arrive.

Posted 1 year ago

secretmechanism

@ Lighthouse iv made a habit of doing that ;) i take it you dont agree to automatic updates, what would you suggest bearing in mind im a long way off earning my geek badge, im even more confused with Patches,are these downloaded or do you have to hunt for them yourself, general question has anyone herd of Secunia Personal http://secunia.com/vulnerabili...../personal/

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

I have mine set to tell me, but not install.
I then install them about 3 weeks later.

Posted 1 year ago

secretmechanism

But if you delay updating wont that leave your machine vulnerable

Posted 1 year ago

germ-x
germ-x

Sometimes I click on the more information just to see what MS is throwing my way. They used to have a good explanation on the side but now you have to click on "more info". You know what you have in your system and should be able to scan down the list and see if any or all pertain to you. Once you get use to doing this it doesn't take but a couple of minutes. Beside you can always restore any that you have hidden if you feel you need certain ones.
I have mine set to notify but let me decide.

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

I'm not as paranoid as Lighthouse (but I must hasten to add that he has forgotten more about computers than I'll ever know). I let M$ download the updates but I wait only until Friday or Saturday to install them. I've found that if there is a problem with an update not playing well with certain software, I would have read about it by then. Like germ-x, I do take a look to see what the updates are for to avoid junk like Bing getting put on my machines.

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

Secunia is quite good however if you it cab be a nightmare when you constantly get asked to update 3rd party apps that can sometimes cause conflictions with your machine.

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

I use Secunia and have been happy with it but it does get false positives sometimes. I recently installed Adobe Acrobat Standard XI (I was happy with 9.x but it reaches EOL this summer) and chose the install everything option. One of the things it installed was a folder for Reader that only had empty sub-folders in it. Secunia hit on it as being out of date (duh!) and wouldn't stop until I deleted the folder and ran Glary Utilities to clean out the registry entries for Reader.

It also has been saying for the last few weeks that a certain xml file is out-of-date in Windows but Windows Update says I'm up-to-date on everything. I've been ignoring that one.

Posted 1 year ago

secretmechanism

Thanks again for all the replys i must admit to feeling abit more confident about updates,thanks for the Secunia info ill look into it abit more

Posted 1 year ago

Travis299

I have always had automatic updates enabled on all PCs, (more than 10), and have never had a problem. I do not have the time nor expertise to validate the updates/patches. FWIW

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

I have tested Secunia in the past, and have to say I am not a fan.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

The problem with secunia is that you get too many updates. Every time they update e.g. a language file, they alert you.

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

@ whs. That hasn't been my experience. I get very few alerts. and even if I was receiving more alerts, I would prefer that to not being alerted at all.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Maybe the current version is better. I have not used the thing for a long time.

Posted 1 year ago

secretmechanism

@Travis299 fully understand what your saying,i havent a clue whats what either,so automatic it is.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!