How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

Windows Update messed up my computer...

(41 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by Richard0600
  • Latest reply from LH
  • Topic Viewed 10627 times

Richard0600

I currently run vista 64 bit SP1....

I was going to reboot my computer and saw the windows update sign...so i decided to update my computer as well... when windows finished updating and reloading... it would work for the first minute or so then it would freeze.. not literally freeze... but nothing will work and i can still move the mouse but the mouse icon would be stuck in that loading symbol...(the little blue circle)

At first I figured I would just let it finish loading whatever the computers trying to load... but 30 mins later its still stuck on loading... I did a hard reboot, and the same thing would happen... 30 secs - 1 min into loading windows it would just freeze on whatever its doing...

So I figured the windows update screwed up my computer... I loaded up safe mode and tried to do a system restore only to find out that my computers system restore was turned off!!!???... so now I have no idea what to do.. someone please help I have a lot of work to do... thanks in advance

off the top of my head here are my computer specs:

Windows Vista SP1
Intel Core i7 940
12GB ram
NVIDIA FX 1700

Posted 4 years ago

Richard0600

Update on the situation:

I've posted on several tech forums and 2 of them asked me to go to safe mode Add/Remove Program and then uninstall windows updates...

The problem with that is my computer doesn't register the fact that it just installed an update..it says that the last update done on the computer was on the 17th of sept... the date today here is 23rd of sept...

I uninstalled the the 2 updates from the 17th with no prevail..the problem still persists... i load windows in normal mode...and 30 secs -1 min later it just freezes on loading things...

Should I just keep uninstalling windows updates until the problem fixes?

Posted 4 years ago

madmacs
madmacs

Hi Richard0600, you could try going back to a system restore point made before the updates were installed. It seems strange to me that the updates are not shown, have you installed programs recently before the freezing started? Matt

Posted 4 years ago

Richard0600

there are no system restore points...system restore is off and I cant seem to get it back on

Posted 4 years ago

BobJam
BobJam

It sounds like the update didn't complete, and your browser is hung trying to communicate with the MS Update Server, which may be either down or overloaded.

Coupla' things to try.

First, see if you can stop the Update Process in Task Manager.

Whether you can or not, try going to the Windows Update site and downloading the update from there. MS maintains a different server for manual updates.

Lastly, and this is a long shot, try turning off your automatic updates and then turning it back on after a bit.

I think you can do all this in Safe mode.

Out of ideas for now . . . report back and let's see if any of that worked.

Posted 4 years ago

Richard0600

I cant access the internet on my computer...normal mode freezes 30 secs 1 min into loading windows...

(after i type in my password..all applications start and everything seems to be working fine..and then all of a sudden whether its opening firefox..or msn..or my computer.. it will get stuck on whatever its doing and just kinda freeze...the mouse icon as i mentioned will just turn into the little loading circle vista has...)

I cant seem to find where in safe mode the option is to turn off and on the windows updates i only see the uninstall windows updates in "add/remove programs" in the control panel... can you perhaps guide me to where i can turn it off... or should i just start uninstalling all of the updates...

Posted 4 years ago

BobJam
BobJam

I'm not a VISTA kinda' guy . . . was an XP person 'till I switched to Linux, so my suggestions are from my memory of XP. I think the VISTA GUI in Safe mode may be different than it was in XP, so maybe a VISTA person will jump in here. Am reluctant to say where stuff is in VISTA because I may muddy up the water (with my XP references). AFAIK VISTA does have a Task Manager, but I'm not sure where it is . . . and you can turn off automatic updates I think somewhere; in XP automatic update settings were in the Security Center in Control Panel. I have no idea if it's in the same place in VISTA.

Cue VISTA person (whs?) . . .

Posted 4 years ago

Bartman
Bartman

Posted 4 years ago

Richard0600

Update on Situation:

OK I tried to install Vista SP2:

Windows Server 2008 Service Pack 2 and Windows Vista Service Pack 2 - ALL Language Standalone for x64-based Systems (KB948465)

in safe mode hoping that it will eradicate the problem..
I began the installation of vista sp2 and received a pop up box
instructing me that I had unsupported languages installed. I go to
control panel:

Chinese (simplified, PRC)
Chinese (Traditional, Hong Kong S.A.R)

The only way I know is to go into normal mode and remove each language pack manually...but I can't get into normal mode... Does anyone know how I can remove a language pack from safe mode? is it even possible?

Posted 4 years ago

Bartman
Bartman

This looks to me to be a virus infection. To be sure try downloading, updating and running this scan.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php ( Quick Scan )

If you can get to Safe Mode with networking, use that.

If you can then get into Normal Mode, run the scan again. ( Full Scan ).

Posted 4 years ago

Richard0600

Will the free version do the scan and delete any viruses found?

I'm no computer expert but I am pretty certain this has something to do with the Language packs installed, and the windows update I did... or maybe its just the windows update... BUT 2 weeks ago I had a similar problem where i did a windows update and was stuck at 'please wait' after I installed which is in the situation I am in now.

I'm pretty sure this is the same windows update that screwed up my computer 2 weeks ago... (i know how stupid of me to do windows update after something like that happened...but i honestly thought that whatever the problem was fixed)

The solution then was to do a system restore which fixed my computer with no problem...the problem now is that it seems every solution that I can find for a problem like this is to do a system restore... but I have no system restore points..or system recovery cd's or backups...

Posted 4 years ago

Bartman
Bartman

Yes. It is one of the best malware removal programs out there.

Posted 4 years ago

Richard0600

Ok i realize there is a TON of text in this thread... and I would like to simplify what was mentioned above...

PROBLEM 1(Main Problem):

Did a Windows Update...
Windows installed the update and restarted
Windows won't load and gets stuck at the 'Please Wait...' loading screen

Problem 2:

In Safe Mode...
Went to add/remove windows updates
and the window update that was done today was not there...
last update was from 17th of September 2009
uninstalled the two updates from that date...
no success... updates that are left on the list date back to the 10th of September.. I left them alone...

Problem 3:

Loaded Safe Mode to do a System Recover
Only to find that System Restore had been disabled
Cannot turn on System Restore in safe mode...
No Restore Points...

Problem 4:

Tried to install:
Windows Server 2008 Service Pack 2 and Windows Vista Service Pack 2 - ALL Language Standalone for x64-based Systems (KB948465)
In safe mode

Received a pop up box instructing me that I had unsupported languages installed.
Chinese (simplified, PRC)
Chinese (Traditional, Hong Kong S.A.R)

Cannot uninstall language packs in Safe Mode.

Hopefully that makes it easier for people to solve my problem.

Posted 4 years ago

Bartman
Bartman

The reason I suggested the virus scan is that what many viruses do is to disable system restore.
That makes me suspicious unless you unknowingly disabled it yourself.

I think we need to rule out any chance you might be infected before we try to tackle any other problems.

Posted 4 years ago

BobJam
BobJam

Strong echo on Bartman's evaluation.

Posted 4 years ago

Richard0600

At work at the moment will get on scanning my computer in safe mode ASAP...be home in 2 hours...

Posted 4 years ago

Bartman
Bartman

If you can get into normal mode to run the scan, run it in normal mode. Full scan.

Malwarebytes is desighed to run best in Normal mode, not safe mode. Although you can run it in Safe mode,
if necessary.

Posted 4 years ago

Richard0600

I cant get into normal mode anymore, all it does is sit at the loading screen... I already have norton 360, bitdefender, and doctor spyware.. and they all scan on a daily/weekly basis... but none of the 3 seem to run in safe mode so ill give malewarebytes a try...

Posted 4 years ago

Bartman
Bartman

Well, that could be another part of your problem, too many anti-virus apps running.

Suggest you uninstall Bitdefender, Doctor Spyware and any other anti-virus / anti-spyware

products you may have installed. Having more than one real time anti-virus program

running at one time usually conflict with each other causing all sorts of problems.

It's OK to have on demand scanners like Malwarebytes installed since they don't conflict with other programs.

Since you have Norton 360 I would get rid of that other stuff since Norton has your anti-virus,

anti-spyware and firewall needs already covered.

Posted 4 years ago

Richard0600

Finished running a full system scan everything was good except for one infected file which was quarantined...:

Registry Data Items Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\NoActiveDesktopChanges (Hijack.DisplayProperties) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

restarted and tried normal mode...but still got stuck at please wait... (waited for 15 mins before restarting back into safe mode...)

(i tried to uninstall bitdefender but it says I have to go to normal mode to uninstall it...)

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!