How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

(Solved) - Windows Update Error Code 80070490

(12 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by SarahJames
  • Latest reply from geo72
  • Topic Viewed 29828 times

SarahJames
SarahJames

Don't know what happened but today after installing the 'patch tuesday' updates I get this error code.

So I googled it a bit and did the manual fix MS offers (no way I will use the FixIt thing - last time I tried it messed everything up like crazy), but so far no luck.

Already went back to an image, but it appears the flaw was there too (still wondering how it found out about the current updates, but that's probably me missing something LOL) and the other images are quite a bit older. I don't really want to go there.

Any help in resolving this very welcome.

Posted 1 year ago

Drizzle
Drizzle

You have probably read this, but just incase :):)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958044

(zap mr fix it LOL!!)

Kate

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

SarahJames,

Unless the Fixit solves the issue this is what MS says. :( :(
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Code Error 80070490 checking for Windows Updates

The error you are receiving occurs if there is corruption in the Component Based Servicing manifest. The only way to fix this is to do a "repair" install of Windows Vista.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958044/en-us

The "repair" (in-place upgrade) install will not effect your installed programs or data. Just make sure you are already logged into your computer when you start the install. Do not boot from the DVD.

If the installation does not start automatically when you insert the DVD, run setup.exe from your DVD drive.

•When the Setup program starts and the Install now screen appears, click Install now.
•Note When you receive with the Get important updates for installation message, click Go Online.
•Click Upgrade when the Which type of installation do you want? screen appears

Please let us know if that fixes the issue for you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Brent
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

=====================================================================
Answer Searched for by Rick P.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

Please let us know if that fixes the issue for you.

If it does not please buy a MAC.

Posted 1 year ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

@ Kate - did all that and got nowhere. "Was this information helpful?" H*ll No! <insert manicly rolling eyes emoticon here>.

@ Xhi - Arrrhhhhhhhggggggggg!

@ Rick - Do a Windows Repair for what one of their own updates breakes? D'uh ...
Just restored an image, or actually I made an image of my broken Windows, restored a perfect image of twee weeks ago, used Beyond Compare to find out what had changed since then (had updated RED, made some changes in CCleaner etc. etc. and I don't want to lose those good changes ;D), added my changes back in and tested the lot. Windows Update still works just fine, so it is as I thought - one of the new updates is what breaks the mold.

Am now about to test which update is responsible, but will make a new image first and I'm in no hurry to apply those updates.
Wonder where the Office 2010 update went to, because it is not on my list. Seems I have a safe version of Word all of a sudden? <LOL>

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Is up on Technet how to solve the issue.

Is long process involving CBS Log Files to determine the specific problem.

Let us know. :) :)

Rick P.

Posted 1 year ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

I went back to an image I made two months ago, because all of the updates gave the same error (It wasn't just one of them).It gave me a different set of updates and this time it worked. Just like that.
I have the feel there must have been a faulty update in between and by going back that far it has been eradicated or something.
But at least thing work :)))

Edit: you can see in the screenshot this has been bugging me - it's about the first thing I did this morning <LOL>.

Posted 1 year ago

Drizzle
Drizzle

Well done;):)
Nightmare when these updates fail, I spent days with MS support a while ago,.Grr!

As Mike says sometimes it is best to wait and see if any bad reports come in before jumping in and dowloading :):)

Posted 1 year ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

Thanks, Kate ;)
I don't even consider MS support an option :P

And waiting is a good idea. Always jump right in <LOL>.

Posted 1 year ago

geo72

Hi Sarah, i just sent you an email in regards about this error code, hopefully you got it, its a pain in the butt code error

Posted 1 year ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

Hi Geo,

Do you have an image you can go back to? Or even just a restore point from before this happened?
Looking at what I wrote here I got it resolved by restoring an image of a while before the error, so I never really found a solution (I just prevented it from happening again).

Posted 1 year ago

geo72

I had the exact same image or error that you posted on your first post , same pop up window

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!