The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - Windows unbootable. Please help :/

(13 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by Energokinetic
  • Latest reply from LH
  • Topic Viewed 669 times

Energokinetic

Ok, here is the story. A couple of months ago i dual booted Windows Vista and 7, yesterday, i tried to remove the vista partition with some guides i found on the internet and i was successful , that's what i thought at least... I rebooted and it said that windows failed to start because of a software or hardware change. It tells me how to fix the problem (by inserting the installation disc and restarting it, then choosing the language and click repair computer). The file that caused this problem was "\Boot\BCD , status: oxc0000034 , info : The windows boot configuration data file is missing required information. "
On the guide i followed it said to move the boot system file along with bootmgr on the Windows 7 partition so i would be able to remove Vista. What should i do to fix it? I can't find my windows 7 disc but i still have my windows vista disc. Is there a way to recover my files by using Linux or something? Please excuse my English.

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

First off, yes. Recover your files before you do anything else,
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto.....-computer/

Posted 4 years ago

Energokinetic

Im downloading Ubuntu now, it will be downloaded in 50 minutes. God, i hate my Internet Connection. Ill post back in around an hour and 20 minutes.

Posted 4 years ago

Energokinetic

Oh, i forgot to ask. Is there any chance Ubuntu wont recognize my external HDD?

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

I don't see why it shouldn't. But then again, I have never tried it on an external. Maybe another member can answer that.

Posted 4 years ago

Energokinetic

is there a way to backup FireFox using programs like mozbackup (if it has a linux version) ?

Posted 4 years ago

Energokinetic

I'm done with the back up. Now what should i do?

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

Try the recovery disk form here,
http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/.....very-disc/

Posted 4 years ago

Energokinetic

The Windows 7 recovery disc or the Vista one? (im scared to do anything on my own right now lol)

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

Windows 7

Posted 4 years ago

Energokinetic

In a couple of minutes the download will be done. If i understood correctly i should just burn it and boot it in my laptop and then follow the on screen instructions, right?

Posted 4 years ago

Energokinetic

Thanks! My laptop is working but now i have a different problem, im going to post a new topic. Thanks for helping me with this :)

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

No probs :)

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.