The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

windows shuts down

(5 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by sandillajoan
  • Latest reply from GuiltySpark
  • Topic Viewed 663 times

sandillajoan

my computer has been shutting down at night when i'm asleep - sometimes during the day. i get the black screen that says windows shut down to prevent.....also, twice i've gotten the blue screen. also, i've installed my cable's tool bar and it won't stay. toolbar options say it's there but i can't check it to turn it on although i shouldn't have to do that. and a few days ago i had to get help here because my screen suddenly went verticle. i've used my super-antyspyware. the only thing it came up with that i didn't understand was something that said "CPUP.installer" and then the number 2. the rest was just tracking stuff. I ran the CCcleaner and whatever that was is gone. Computer keeps shutting down however although blue screen hasn't come back again. Yet. i've done everything i can do (just a regular user) based on instructions from Windows help site, and when i try and find the reason for shutdowns in windows there are none. i've followed all the directions but i'm afraid to do a restore as nothing else worked. the only other thing i noticed was in anti spyware there are lots of registry items - most of which have something to do with 'silverlight' - i have no idea what that is or if i could have a problem w/that. i don't touch registry items in CC Cleaner as I don't know if I should or shouldn't. Also I don't clean "WIndows" in CC Cleaner because I don't understand what they are telling me needs to be cleaned. I just clean "Applications" section results - should I clean the "Windows" results too and Registry results? - maybe that's my problem. i have an HP Presario 3 yrs old.

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

Hi sandillajoan ,

CPUP.installer is basically a "Potentially Unwanted Programme" = PUP.

A good Tutorial for CCleaner is over here : http://www.howtogeek.com/forum.....replies=26

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

Silverlight shouldn't be a problem in general but PUP is.
A good clean up as GS suggested is the 1st port of call.

Un-installation of useless / un-needed software is especially a good idea.

And use this to do it REVO

If you use this in advanced mode, you might solve many problems.

In the advanced uninstall mode, do not reboot until revo has done the job

Mike

Posted 1 year ago

sandillajoan

Thanks GuiltySpark very much and Mike - Mike I have an important question. I do use REVO as it was suggested here, and can't find anything in terms of programs that are not necessary. However, when I use the 'advanced mode' as you suggest, i get all sorts of things. the instructions say to be sure to know what they are before deleting - Do you think it would be safe for me to delete the suggested bolded items REVO says are related to the program I un-installed? I'm unsure. Of course, I can't be promised anything I understand that - but I have been afraid to delete anything that is not in safe mode as, truthfully, I don't know what I'm deleting....I know I'm to keep it short and sweet, but I have to say that the people in this forum have been incredibly helpful to me . Thanks to all - you are the best.

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

Well that may depend on the programme you are deleting.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!