How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - Windows Server 2008 R2 and new hard disk

(5 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Artiah
  • Latest reply from Artiah
  • Topic Viewed 624 times

Artiah

Hi guys!

Probably in the next days I should buy a new hard disk to the server, now the server have 3 hard disk in RAID5, my question is if I connect the new hard disk the RAID5 configuration can take it automatically or I have to do something in the configuration?

Many thanks in advance an d have a good day!

Posted 1 year ago

scorpion99
scorpion99

If it is hot swappable disk , u can remove the damaged and put the new one instead of it.
If no , shutdown , the server , replace the damaged and turn your server on. In both cases,reconstruction will begin immediately after replacement and everything will work fine.
But note that the new hard disk must be identical to the old one as size and same model, and that you have just to change the damaged one, do not change the order of your installed hard disks.

Posted 1 year ago

Artiah

Thanks scorpion99, but I dont want to replace a bad hard disk, I need more space in the server so for that I need to install another disk. Now I have 3 hard disk in the server, if I put a new hard disk the configuration recognize the new hard disk and I have more space or I have to do other thing?

Thanks again for your answer scorpion99.

Posted 1 year ago

scorpion99
scorpion99

Adding an additional hard drive to a RAID array in order to increase the capacity is known as array expansion. One example of array expansion would be adding a fourth hard drive to a three-drive RAID 5 volume. Since RAID 5 uses block-level striping, adding a drive to an existing array requires pretty much all blocks to be moved either within a drive or from one drive to another. Not only does this take quite some time, it is also dangerous. For example, a forced shutdown due to a power failure could cause you to lose all your data.
So, even though adding a drive to an array without backing all the data up is possible, I would advice against it.
If you want , you can add the new hard disk as RAID0 or add another new one with it as RAID1.
Whatever you want to do , I advice you to BACKUP , BACKUP , BACKUP.

Accepted Answer · Posted 1 year ago

Artiah

Many thanks for your help scorpion99, have a nice day!

cheers

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.