The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - Windows Send to option

(20 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by LarrySr
  • Latest reply from SarahJames
  • Topic Viewed 522 times

LarrySr

The “send to” addon that was available in windows XP was much better. I could select a set of files, use send to and it gave me not only a list of place to send it but it gave you the option to browse anywhere to find a location to sent to. It also gave you the option to move or copy the files. The windows 7 “send to” will not let me send to a directory on the C drive and it seems to only move the files! I liked the old “send to” better.

Posted 4 years ago

mfletch

Hold down the shift key then right click>send-to

There will be a lot more options now

Posted 4 years ago

LH

Hi LarrySr. So it's not in,
C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo\
Any more ?

Posted 4 years ago

mfletch

No LH

Best way is to copy and paste this

shell:sendto

Into the search,

Posted 4 years ago

germ-x

here is the HTG link, it explains what you are trying to do more thoroughly.

g-x

Posted 4 years ago

LarrySr

I tried the shell:sendto idea and while it does take you to the options that are available it does not tell you how to ad or change them so I can have the option to BROWSE as needed and the option to COPY or MOVE. Someone told me to drag in the options I want! OK drag from where? Then how do I save my changes? How does that give me the option to BROWSE or chose COPY or MOVE at the time I want to send to?

Posted 4 years ago

mfletch

Once the send-to folder is open all you do is right click / NEW/ Shortcut or FOLDER

It will open a browse option window

Posted 4 years ago

SarahJames

LarrySr, I think this is what you were looking for.

Edit: I use it in Vista. I don't know if it works onder 7 too, but seeing that 7 and Vista have a lot in common I take it it will work ;)
Oh and btw - before making any changes to the registry, make sure you back it up.
Even better, always make good backups of you computer, preferably by means of an image.
Macrium Reflect is free and works very well - I highly recommend it.

Posted 4 years ago

LarrySr

Thank you for teaching me how to modify the "send to" option. I now understand that part but it still will not give me the BROWSE option available in the old version.
I will also take a look at the free backup software mention above. Do you know if it has the option to schedule unassisted backups? Do you know if it can do a differential backup?

Posted 4 years ago

SarahJames

I think it does give you the option to browse, or otherwise I'm understanding you wrong;)

And no Macrium doesn't have an option to schedule it, but you can create an xml file with the settings how you want your drive to be backed up, so I ake it you can create a task in the taskscheduler and have it start automatically that way.

And no, it doesn't do differential backups, only full image. But it is very fast. My 360GB HDD wih 25GB of data on it is backed up in 20 minutes on my external USB drive and in a little over 12 minutes on my second HDD.
And I even have compression set to high (to save diskspace, because I create an image at least once a week, sometimes even daily), which normally slows the backup process down.
For comparison: I used to work with DriveImage XML which took about 2,5 hours to do the same and the images would take up a lot more space.

Posted 4 years ago

LarrySr

I think you are misunderstanding me. I want the option to work like this. When I select a set of files and then right click to use the "send to" option I want to see a browse option in the sent to so I can browse, at the time I am using the sent to option, and select the target device and directory to receive the files. Then I would like the option to specify COPY or MOVE. That is what I had in the Windows XP send to.

Posted 4 years ago

SarahJames

Ok, now I understand. I never worked with XP, so I've never had that option to start with <LOL>.

I don't think it is possible to adjust the Vista or 7 default 'send to' like that, but adding the options 'copy to' and 'move to' provides the same features.
I have them added to my rightclick menu and can select a bunch of files, rightclick, choose 'copy to' or 'move to' (depending on what I want at that point), browse to the folder of my choice and click 'copy' or 'move' at the bottom of the menu and there they go.

Posted 4 years ago

LarrySr

That sounds close enough to what I want. How did you get the "copy to" and "move to" in the send to option. If I open the window to modify it the options are to add a folder or a short cut. I know I sound dense but help me understand this please.

Posted 4 years ago

vistual

hey LarrySr, here it is right here

Posted 4 years ago

LarrySr

Thank You. That sounds great. Have you tested this with Windows 7?

Posted 4 years ago

SarahJames

Strictly speaking it is not 'inside' your send to menu, but it is in your rightclick menu, just like the 'send to' menu.
For me it looks like this:

To add it you can follow the manual steps in the desciption given in the link I and Vistual posted earlier or click here.
But on the top of that page is also a download for a registryhack which you can import by double clicking it, so you won't have to edit the registry yourself.

Only thing is that I'm not 100% sure the hack works in 7, so if you could wait a little till I've found some one who can assure us that it works in 7 just as well as in Vista I would feel better ;)

I will post back on that a.s.a.p.

Cheers,
Sarah.

Posted 4 years ago

vistual

nope i personally have not - still love'n Vista - i mean runn'n Vista : )
gotta make a few more deposits into the piggy bank 1st ....
sit tight for a few im sure one of the guys will let you know for sure.

Posted 4 years ago

SarahJames

Ha already found it!
This link tells you all about copy to / move to in Vista and 7.
So yes, it it possible in 7, just as much as in Vista.
Please use the download offered in this link and not the other one - this one I'm sure of is meant for Vista and 7 :)

Have to get some sleep now,
bb,
Sarah.

Accepted Answer · Posted 4 years ago

LarrySr

That worked great and it is exactly what I wanted. Thank You very much.

Posted 4 years ago

SarahJames

OK, glad it worked out for you;)

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.