SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - Windows Security Center Virus?

(8 posts)
  • Started 3 years ago by GKI610
  • Latest reply from Veegertx
  • Topic Viewed 408 times

GKI610

I clicked on the link in HTG's Firefox hacking email, and immediately got a program running with the usual "You're infected" etc. I immediately shut down, booted into safe mode, ran Malwarebytes and MSE; neither found anything.
Rebooting into W7, things are normal, with no notifications, which it was showing in Safe Mode that I ignored. Anybody had this happen?

Posted 3 years ago

Veegertx

can you paste the link so we can try?

Posted 3 years ago

LH

This I think,
http://www.howtogeek.com/69051.....a-storage/

Posted 3 years ago

GKI610

That's the one.

Posted 3 years ago

LH

No problems at all at my end ?
What did you click on ?

Posted 3 years ago

Veegertx

Edit: No problem here either so I ask what did you click ? I'm using Fox so it may block some things. Tried with IE and nothing

Posted 3 years ago

GKI610

Veegertx, the link that LH posted. It was in the HTG newsletter posted Aug 2.

Posted 3 years ago

Veegertx

I have seen that a few times before where pages will bring up something like that. You done right thing shutting down

I recently had wifes PC here bring up something like that on Facebook and in the past I click the X button to close but this thing started trying to download so I hit the power button.
Could not replicate it from same PC hour or so later after boot with Bitdefender and scan and then boot and run malwarebytes

We don't know what strange things are lurking out here in www land when the no gooders are trying to hack many things. I think bleed over may be occuring or either they are trying to hack this website.

Accepted Answer · Posted 3 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.