The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Windows product key

(3 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Ambani
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 526 times

Ambani

I purchased a used computer,i did not get the cd of the OS. when there was problems with the system i borrowed my friends window 7 professional disk and tried to install the OS. i took the product key from my PC using kefinder. when i tried to activate my OS it won't take it. i called MS they said that key is not for that PC. if i buy a new OS ,do ihave to format the hard drive and install all over again or can i just enter the new product key.Please advise. Thanks

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

Ambani, Hi.
The product key must match the original installation for the key to work.
What was the original install?
Home premium or Professional?

Edit; you can get the original .iso here; http://www.mydigitallife.info/.....tal-river/

Your key will be on the label underneath your machine

Mike

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Only the key that is on the COA sticker on your box counts. The key you retrieved with Keyfinder is probably an OEM mass installation key that you cannot use with any installation disk from another source.

The link that Mike gave you is a good, valid Windows7 .iso that you can burn to a DVD and use for the installation. Just make sure you get the edition (e.g. Home Premium) that matches the key on your COA sticker. Then activate the installation with that key.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!