SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Some Windows Operating Systems Questions?

(19 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by robotsneedhugs2
  • Latest reply from robotsneedhugs2
  • Topic Viewed 1364 times

robotsneedhugs2
robotsneedhugs2

I've just got a few questions about Windows OS's.

What is the difference between retail, upgrade versions, and OEM? I know OEM is cheaper, but why? What is it?

Also, if I were to get the upgrade version of Windows 7 from XP, how many times could I install it? I've had several problems with my computer and I've reinstalled XP many, many times. Is there a specific version that allows me to do that? Is that the OEM version?

Or, if I get the upgrade version of Win 7, will I be able to install it only 5 (whatever the number is) times? What version would I need to be able to install it more than that?

Is it possible at all to have an OS on two different machines?

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

robotsneedhugs2,
---
[ IF ] you are a Machine Builder, purchase the full Retail Edition of the O/S.
---
Otherwise you could find yourself in difficulty with having to do Manual PAs when constantly Reconfiguring and Upgrading your machines.
---
I have this difficulty now with 32 Bit XP as I am out of additional Cals for MS Genuine X-11 Product
(Orange & White Label CD/DVDs).
---
Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

Hmm, that's a lot of questions. Let me try to answer them to the best of my knowledge:

1. Retail - is the best but most expensive option. You get the full MS blessings including support. You can install it on any system.
OEM - is essentially the same as retail but you get no MS support. The support comes from the OEM - and if you buy it seperatly from a PC, the OEM is YOU.
Upgrade - that comes in 2 flavors. It can be an upgrade from another OS as will be offered for Windows7 for those that have an XP or Vista. That has to install on the system where the upgradeable OS resides. It is a full operating system. Another flavor is an upgrade from a lower version (let's say Home Premium) to a higher version (e.g. Ultimate). This is not a full system and must be installed on top of the lower system ( usually a real mess).

2. Any system can be installed as many times as you want. That's easy with the Retail and OEM because they are full installation systems. A little trickier with the upgrades because you always have to first go back to the base.

3. An operating sytem can only be installed on one system. Unlike some applications like Norton or Office 2007 which can be installed on 3 systems. The operating system is void, if you switch the system - even if you change the motherboard of your system because the mobo is the system ID. But there are ways to revalidate the OS with Microsoft.

I hope that helps. Maybe other members can add more logic.

Posted 5 years ago

robotsneedhugs2
robotsneedhugs2

Thanks, guys.

If I were to build a new pc, I couldn't use the upgrade option, since it's new? Even if I have my XP product key?

So if I'm building a new PC, I should get retail or OEM?

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

OEM is probably the best deal if you do not need the MS support.

Posted 5 years ago

robotsneedhugs2
robotsneedhugs2

If I were to buy the Windows 7 Upgrade, could I install it on a new machine? Or do I need to install it on the one with XP?

If that is true, is there a way to, like, deauthorize this machine, install XP on the new one, and then upgrade to Win 7?

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

I think that is a question to ask Microsoft. This is somewhere deep in the EULA and not obvious. My first intuition would be that you need a full license for a brand new machine. But they have mechanisms where you can uninstall and reinstall - I just don't know enough about those. Example where those mechanisms are applied is when you change the mobo.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

robots, the Upgrade package is to upgrade an existing OS -- it can't be installed on a new PC. I don't know of a way to de-authorize an old Windows product, but you might be able to do a Product Activation (PA) on a new system. You would probably have to call Microsoft to find out if this is allowed, and to actually perform the new PA.

Some other alternatives: you could purchase Vista now and get a free Upgrade version of Windows 7 when it ships, or install Windows 7 RC now and figure out the rest later.

Posted 5 years ago

robotsneedhugs2
robotsneedhugs2

@ whs:

"An upgrade or a replacement of the motherboard is considered to create a new personal computer. Therefore, Microsoft OEM operating system software cannot be transferred from another computer. If the motherboard is upgraded or replaced for reasons other than a defect then a new computer is created, and a new operating system license is required."

Guess I can't get the cheaper upgrade pricing for Windows 7 if I build a new PC. That's really stupid. You should be able to de-authorize (or whatever) the motherboard and transfer to a new one.

Thank you for your help.

@ ScottW:

I don't want to call Microsoft and talk to a robot. I think I'll just buy Vista and get the Win 7 free thing. It's much cheaper. Would I have to install Vista to do the upgrade thing, or could I just have it laying around until Windows 7 comes out?

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

robots, no you do not have to install Vista. When you start the Windows 7 Upgrade install, it will ask for the Vista DVD as proof of previous ownership. However, when you do get the Vista disc, you should at least boot from it to make sure that it is not flawed. It would not be fun to find out you have a bad Vista disc on October 22nd.

Posted 5 years ago

robotsneedhugs2
robotsneedhugs2

Thank you for your help, ScottW.

Posted 5 years ago

robotsneedhugs2
robotsneedhugs2

If I were to skip on the Windows Vista deal with the free upgrade thing, and build a new pc later, I would have to buy a brand new Full Price version, correct?

Posted 5 years ago

JH

Yes, you will have to buy a full price version.
However, I believe there is some kind of preordering thing where Win7 Home Premium costing around £50 or probably about $50 for the Yanks :-( :-( :-( Also, the Vista upgrade DVD allowed one to 'upgrade' onto a clean system, maybe Win7 will be similar?
This is link for MS preorder
I think apart from 100 consecutive days of support, one has to pay about £40 for support from MS even for a retail product, and forums like this one tend to offer far better tailored and faster support.

Posted 5 years ago

LH
LH

JH. How nice of you to say so :)

Posted 5 years ago

robotsneedhugs2
robotsneedhugs2

How much cheaper, do you think, will Windows 7 OEM be than Retail? On Newegg, Windows Vista Home Premium Retail is $224.99 whereas the OEM is only $99.99. Will the OEM for Win7 have such a price difference? Or do you think, since it's new, it will be like 2 bucks?

Posted 5 years ago

LH
LH

http://www.howtogeek.com/forum.....replies=36
http://www.howtogeek.com/forum.....replies=10
Doesn't exactly answer your question but...

Posted 5 years ago

robotsneedhugs2
robotsneedhugs2

Thanks, but I'm wondering how much the OEM will be, not retail.

Posted 5 years ago

LH
LH

About the same as it is now, between retail and OEM.

Posted 5 years ago

robotsneedhugs2
robotsneedhugs2

So I can expect it to be like $100, or so, less?

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.