The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

Windows Media Player - Ripping

(8 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by cheekybrit
  • Latest reply from warlock
  • Topic Viewed 889 times

cheekybrit

My Vista 32 bit O.S. carries the Media Player so, after inserting a CD to rip to the Library, everything seems like it's working. The computer recognizes the disc, identifies its name and contents in a list, the rip begins and before it reaches the half way point on the first track, it stops ripping and the word 'Error' replaces the 'ripping' on the first track and then it continues to the end of the tracks, ejects the CD and I'm left asking questions about why it did that.

I removed some programs that I thought may be interfering with the Media Player but still no joy.

Does anyone have an answer to this particular problem?

I would appreciate any suggestions. Thank you all.

Posted 2 years ago

Jafo

See if this helps.

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000974.htm

Posted 2 years ago

cheekybrit

Thank you but the system isn't responding to any of the codecs that I installed. So, it must be something else.

Posted 2 years ago

bubbatie1
bubbatie1

codecs?

where did you get them from to "install" ?????? codecs are known to cause alot of problems

Posted 2 years ago

owen123
owen123

Is it one cd or all of your cds? Can You post a screenshot of your import settings.

Owen

Posted 2 years ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

cheekybrit ,

You don't need codecs to rip a cd!!!

The chances are you have a scratch/smear etc.. on either the disc or the cd drive lens.

Posted 1 year ago

cheekybrit

This initial problem began after the system was reinstalled from the original SP1 disc after the 'black screen of death' episode recently reported. Following the reinstall I began to download applications that had been removed after the crash. When I began to install audio music from CDs, this problem occurred. It seems as though there's something missing in the connection which is preventing either player (Media Player or Real Player) to function correctly. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

I tried to take a screen shot, and that doesn't work. Maybe the problem does have something to do with the reinstall; perhaps it's not reinstalled correctly?

All of my CDs are in pristine condition and they have no scratches, marks, smears, etc. This is what happens when I insert the CD:

The Windows Media Player window opens up, as normal, recognizes the disc title and lists the songs on the screen, begins to play track 1 (all other tracks are showing 'pending') and starts the rip. When the rip gets to 30% on track 1, the rip stops and each of the 'pending' words are replaced in quick succession with 'error' from track 1 to the last track, and the CD is ejected. The Media Player window remains on screen showing the words 'Insert an audio CD into the CD drive.' I click on 'Now Playing,' reinsert the CD and the CD begins to play, as normal, but within five seconds performs the same as when the computer was in the 'rip' mode.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941651 See if you have these updates installed. Also, if you are not ripping to mp3 try that.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.