The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Windows Media Player / Itunes

(19 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by Tricia
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 5491 times

Tricia

I have 500 GB of music in MP3 format on an external hard drive and I only have a 100 GB hard drive on my computer. Can I listen to that music through Windows Media Player in the location its in without copying it to my computer due to lack of space...if so how? Can I copy some of the music into my Itunes so I can upload songs to an Ipod? If so how? Thanks

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

You can listen to music stored on an external drive. I do this all the time. Just open the song (file not folder) and double click on it. If your file association is correct, it should work. Mine are all .wma though.

Posted 6 years ago

Tricia

I've been waiting for you to respond. Thanks
I did that and it does work but I have over 60 playlists that I want to listen to without having
to select "a" song. Is that possible? Do I copy Windows Media Player to the hard drive to do that?
Sorry new to all this music stuff as you can see! ;)

Posted 6 years ago

Tricia

P.S. I had to uninstall Itunes to be able to do that.

Posted 6 years ago

Tricia

Hey WHS did I lose you? I know this isn't a very hot topic with computer geeks...but you seem to be
the one who has answered the most questions with music on this site...Can I use both Windows Media Player and Itunes? I'm confused and need your help pleaseeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!

Posted 6 years ago

Tricia

I was hoping to try and solve this problem today so I can then try and figure out how to load
music onto an ipod I got 5 months ago! Thanks

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

Playlists will play as usual - the whole thing. I also just found one lone MP3 song that I once downloaded from Amazon to my external disk. That one worked too. For better contol I suggest you enable Media Player on the toolbar. Right click on the toolbar > Toolbars > click "Windows Media player". Now start Media player and minimize it. You will then see the contols in the toolbar - very handy.

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

Tricia, you did not loose me. I am just slow. Before I give you an answer I always double check that it really works - just to make sure. And that takes time. I know nothing about itunes. Sorry but I cannot answer you question regarding that. Why do you want to play with itunes rather than media player?

Posted 6 years ago

Tricia

When I start Windows Media Player this is the message I get

Windows Media Player cannot play the file. If the file is on another computer, verify that you are connected to the network. If you typed a path, verify that it is correct. If the problem persists, the server might not be available.

If I go to my E: drive directly and double click a song it plays???

Posted 6 years ago

Tricia

Sorry didn't mean to rush you...

I don't really want to use Itunes but I need Itunes to load songs on to Ipod? You can't load songs
to the ipod from Windows Media Player (atleast that's what I was told)

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

This is normal. If you want to start from the media player, the file has to be "local". You have to start from the disk for the "externals".

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

Ipods usually have their own wizard to load stuff. And they load directly from the files. At least my Sansa E250 works that way. Look at the manufacturers website for the Wizard once.

Posted 6 years ago

coates719
coates719

Read this tutorial from iLounge about managing your iTunes library on an external hard drive.

http://www.ilounge.com/index.p.....ard-drive/

I use iTunes for my music and have no complaints.

Posted 6 years ago

Tricia

Coates719 I am reading it now. Thanks

Posted 6 years ago

Tricia

Does't Itunes have a 32,000 song limitation though? I have way more songs on my hard drive?

Posted 6 years ago

coates719
coates719

I believe this was something that older iTunes versions were restricted by.

I'm pretty sure the latest version doesn't have such limitations.

The only real way to find out is give it ago.

Posted 6 years ago

Tricia

Thanks to all I'll keep you posted!

Posted 6 years ago

Tricia

Coates719: Thanks for the article it was very helpful. Instead of importing all of my music into Itunes I just have Itunes pointing to my external drive so that it doesn't copy and/or convert my MP3 formats and I can still play the songs in Itunes. The way I did this was by reinstalling Itunes and deselecting Copy files to Itunes Music when adding to library. I now have over 180,000+ songs available to me in Itunes without using up my computers hard drive space. Thanks

P.S. to WHS: I learned alot from you to especially the minimizing of the media player that was really helpful! Thanks

This is an awesome site I'm glad I found it! And I'm sure I'll be back with more silly questions...keep up the good advise!

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

Tricia, there are no silly questions, just silly answers! We are glad you like it in our company.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.