The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

(Solved) - windows media player cannot play mp3

(7 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by vunfah
  • Latest reply from SarahJames
  • Topic Viewed 26423 times

vunfah

when i am wish to play a mp3 format song by using windows media player 11, it cannot play at all. Not juz this songs cannot play, but almost all the songs on my computer cannot play too..!!!! there is an error message after the songs cannot play:" An audio codec is needed to play this file. To determine if this codec is available to download from the Web, click Web Help." after i hv click web help, such message is appear: Windows Media Player Error Message Help
You've encountered error message C00D10D1 while using Windows Media Player. The following information might help you troubleshoot the issue.

Codec is missing
Windows Media Player cannot play the file (or cannot play either the audio or video portion of the file) because the MP3 - MPEG Layer III (55) codec is not installed on your computer.

The missing codec might be available to download from the Internet. To search for the MP3 - MPEG Layer III (55) codec, see WMPlugins.com.

i need help, any suggestion that i can solve this problem...? thanks!!!!!

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

Rather than playing around with the missing codecs (which can be quite messy), I suggest you use the VLC player - http://filehippo.com/download_vlc/ - that plays nearly anything.

Accepted Answer · Posted 5 years ago

nerdygeek6
nerdygeek6

hi vunfah, i'd say uninstall wmp (roll back) and then get the latest version of it again.

Posted 5 years ago

nike1
nike1

Yeah i doo agree with whs, but if you still would like to be able to play music with WMP, here's a codec pack.

http://www.free-codecs.com/k_l.....wnload.htm

That also gives you a whole bunch of video codecs.

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

Before you download any Codec pack, I suggest you read this excellent wiki article by ScottW: http://www.howtogeek.com/wiki/.....ks_Are_Bad - I had my reasons to suggest VLC.

PS: You cannot uninstall WMP - it is an integral part of Vista OS.

Posted 5 years ago

nike1
nike1

@whs, Wow. I'm just shocked now. I'm probably never going to install a Codec pack again.

But instead of installing a codec pack, why can't vunfah just install a single mp3 codec? Wouldn't that solve the issue? That way he can still use WMP, if he want to that is.

VLC is great, but i usually only use it for playing videos/movies. The biggest reason for that is because the playlist isn't in the same window as the player. If you want to see the playlist you have to open it in a seperate window. I don't like that, but that's just my opinion. :)

Posted 5 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

@ Vunfah: To answer nike1's question: yes you can download the single codec and install it :)
Here is some more info about codecs.

You can download the codec here (mind you I haven't tested this - I'm just reporting it, since my own codecs work ok and I don't want to mess with them. Had serious trouble because of a codecpack a year ago and ScottW spent quite some time helping me fix it).

The site has a forum too, so if WMP doesn't find the codec after installing you can ask them for more help too.

I'd also install VLC player as Whs suggested, simply because it is a wonderul player that will allow you to play just about anything. I've had corrupted mp4 files that Vlc player will play, whereas other apps just won't.
I found that a lifesaver, because now at least I could see if there were important files amongst them and even if no other app played them, at least I could see them ;)
(Sorted it eventually, but that is another story ;D).

Cheers,
Sarah.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.