The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

windows media player 11 and xbox 360

(10 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by ogos
  • Latest reply from Scott
  • Topic Viewed 30614 times

ogos

I am running windows xp with windows media player 11....Trying to share media with xbox 360.
It was working fine a week ago but now it doesnt work at all. When i click share my media in windows media player library nothing happens i click on the ok button then it stays depressed for a few seconds then comes back on like i didnt do anything.
Im not running any firewall but the windows firewall. Tried turning that off and didnt work either same thing happens....nothing
Any help would be appreciated...thx

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

ogos, hi and welcome. There are a lot of things that can go wrong in this process. Since media sharing is giving you trouble, check in Services for the Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service and make sure it's not disabled. Mine is set to "manual". The executable for this service is "wmpnetwk.exe", which will probably show up in Task Manager when the service is running. Also, under Services, it should be "Started" when media sharing is enabled. Finally, leave the Windows Firewall on and there should be an exception for the Media Sharing service.

When you click on the box, "Share my media", does a check mark appear in it? Once you are sure media sharing is running, if there are still problems we can check your network settings. Would you be willing to try a 3rd party media sharing tool?

Posted 5 years ago

satansoldier
satansoldier

This doesn't work with Home SP3, also, i was having trouble with this at one point, i just shut down my xbox router modem and computer. started my computer and turned sharing on then restarted it and turned everything else on.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

satansoldier, what do you mean when you say, "this doesn't work" with XP Home SP3. What this?

I just tested media sharing from my XP system which is running XP Home with SP3. I enabled media sharing in WMP 11, turned on the Xbox 360 and I see it in the media sharing window. I select the Xbox and choose allow. Back at the Xbox, on the media blade I can see music from my WMP library just fine. I also verified that under XP SP3, the WMP Network Sharing Service is started, and wmpnetwk.exe and wmpnscfg.exe are showing in Task Manager. My firewall on that system, which is not Windows Firewall, alerts me that a service is opening port 10243 and I allow it. And there you have it.

Posted 5 years ago

satansoldier
satansoldier

Something must have been updated since i last tried it then, It wouldn't work when i installed SP3 and a look around the xbox website made specific mention of SP2 but not 3, so i assumed it would not function and reverted back to SP2.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

@satansoldier, apparently you are not alone. I was not aware that this was a known problem:
http://forums.microsoft.com/Te.....;SiteID=17

I probably have not used WMP Media Sharing under XP since I installed SP3. I use my Vista box to host media for streaming to the X360. However, when I just tried it yesterday, it worked. My XP SP3 system is fully patched -- perhaps there was a recent patch that fixes the problem. Or maybe it's necessary to delete the old connection data from the Xbox in order to establish a new one.

@ALL, there are several 3rd party apps that will stream media to an Xbox 360 and other devices, as well. One of the easiest to use is Orb:
http://www.orb.com/

A more full-featured tool, but also more complex, is TVersity, which I used back when it was a pre-release beta. It is now at Release Candidate 4
http://tversity.com/

Posted 5 years ago

ogos

Have you checked to see if the dependant services are started? Those services are:

1. HTTP SSL.
2. Universal Plug and Play Device Host.
3. SSDP Discovery Service.

This is what helped me get media sharing going. Have to make sure these 3 services are started.
For me 2 and 3 were disabled...when i started these services it worked fine....thx for the help

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Ogos, glad to hear that you got it working.

Posted 5 years ago

spoulsen82

If anyone is still following, I am having this same problem...
I have done everything listed above, and STILL cannot connect. The services are all on, I allowed sharing to my 360 in WMP (this is what really blows my mind, I can see my 360 in WMP and even can get its serial number, but cannot stream to it) I also opened the ports that the xbox folks told me to open which my router mfr told me i didnt really need to do.
I spent over 3 hours on the phone wth Xbox and my router manufacturer, and still, no fix...
any other ideas out there?

Posted 4 years ago

Scott
Scott

spoulsen82, welcome to HTG. Please
consider starting your own new thread
as this one is old and will be closed.

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!