The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Windows Mail in Windows 7

(23 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by bjel78
  • Latest reply from warlock
  • Topic Viewed 41921 times

bjel78

Hi! I have just install Windows 7 Ultimate build 7232 on my system which a Gateway FX542X 64bit. My problem is, as you probably know, Windows 7 does not come with an email program like Outlook Express ( my all time favorite) or even Windows Mail as I was using with Windows Vista Ultimate before upgrading. I need to know how I can install Windows Mail in Windows 7 step-by-step. I find some sites that indicated I could copy and paste Windows Mail from Vista into Windows 7 "program\windowsmail" using full control. However, I haven't been able to give myself full control to that folder so that I could copy and paste all the files and/or unzip the download Windows Vista Mail to said folder.

Please if anyone know how this can be done successfully, tell me with as much step-by step details as possible.

Posted 4 years ago

kelly

You need to download Windows Live Mail from the Microsoft Website. It will also ask if you want install Messenger, Writer, Family Safety etc, you can un-tick all of these and just install Windows Live Mail. This will be the same one that you have used in Vista.

Posted 4 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

Bjel78 - Windows Mail is not the same as Windows Live Mail.
Windows Live Mail is a good alternative, but if you want to use Windows Mail and as you say this can be done by copying the program from the program folder you can use free commander to browse to C:\Program Files\Windows Mail and copy that folder to you Windows 7 edition.
Hope it works!
Please post back to let us know;)

Cheers,
Sarah.

Edit: I typed Windows Live where I meant Windos Mail ! Sorry.

Posted 4 years ago

bjel78

Thank you for your quick reply, but I am not interested in Windows Live period. Microsoft wants to force on their supporters what it decide is best for us as oppose to giving us choices. I want to use either Outlook Express (which I am sure I won't be able to), or Windows Mail, and I am well aware of the difference. I just need someone to tell me how to copy the files into "program\windows Mail" folder or more specific, how do I give Full Control to myself so the files will copy. I tried right clicking on the folder and clicking on properties and editing the security to give me Full control, but nothing will highlight. It's as if it is grayed out. And also there is two Program\Windows Mail in 64bit version, and I am not sure which one I should copy files to or both. If there is an even better way than copying the files, I am open to that.

If anyone have the information necessary and is willing to share it step-by-step, I would greatly appreciate it.

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

You may need to turn UAC off, to change those permissions.

Posted 4 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

So, is there a problem with Windows Live Mail? My understanding is that Windows Mail in Vista was the follow-on to Outlook Express and Windows Live Mail is the follow-on to Windows Mail. All were developed by the same team(s) at Microsoft. Did they suddenly drop a lot of good features in WL Mail or radically change the interface?

I haven't used any of these programs enough to know how they compare. Before Thunderbird, my e-mail client was Eudora Pro. I do have OE and WL Mail configured and have used them briefly, but I don't know them well.

Posted 4 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

ScottW - there's no problem with Windows Live as fas as I know: the OP doesn't like it much and I agree. I don't like Windows Live Mail one bit.
I find it unacceptable to be forced to keep your data online instead of as a hard fact on your PC, where you can make a copy and safe it for later reference.
And don't tell me it's safe on the internet from crashes of my computer etc. I will make sure my data is safe, don't need to put in the hands of a third party that might just as well have a problem with it's server etc and then all is lost without a backup.

So to answer your question: Windows Mail is ok. I like it better than Outlook Express because it is easier to backup individual emails.
Windows Live Mail looks the same as Windows Mail, but the 'Live' character makes it a definite no go for me.
And if 7 doesn't have Windows Mail I think that is a big downside to it.

Posted 4 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Sarah, this is all very confusing. Windows Live Hotmail is the e-mail *service* provided by MS. It's analogous to GMail or Yahoo! Mail. Windows Live Mail is an e-mail *client*, software that you install on your PC. It is analogous to Thunderbird, Outlook Express, and Vista's Windows Mail. MS has done a horrible job with the naming of these items! It is a confusing mess.

However, whether you have an e-mail account with Google, Yahoo, or Microsoft, you should be able to install the Windows Live Mail client on your system and setup a POP box that will download and save all e-mails to your desktop and, if you wish, delete them from the server. So, you are not forced to keep mail online by any of these services or clients.

Posted 4 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

Well ScottW, I once gave it a try and didn't like it so I uninstalled it, but I don't remember quite what was what. Ought to give it another try, but it always is messy installing MS live products, because they update all other live apps you have and I don't want my MSN updated and whenever I try to add something from the live group I keep getting those reminders.
Same happens in respect to IE8. I don't want it, because it messes up my mht-files which I had such trouble getting back to working shape. But I get emails and addbanners on almost daily basis urging me to get IE8 which is improved for use with MSN.
Nice MS works on improvements, but they should tell me once or maybe twice and then shut up about it!

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

Sarah. Install it in a VM just to test it.

Posted 4 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Sarah, what do you mean by "MSN"? To add to all this confusion, MSN is also a group of services much like Windows Live is. Whichever MSN service(s) you are referring to, I can understand that you don't want to use Windows Live, sine it has essentially replaced most of the MSN services.

For IE8, if you don't want it, use the IE8 blocker toolkit to stop it from nagging you:
http://www.microsoft.com/downl.....laylang=en

Posted 4 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

ScottW - I use Windows Live Messenger it appears <LOL>. Thought it was MSN. Don't know anymore where these updates begin and end <LOL>.

I've set the IE update as hidden, but will use that tool you pointed to.

And there is a banner on the bottom of Windos Live Messenger (which points to the MSN website btw ...) that from time to time comes back with the remark to upgrade to IE8, apart from emails that come in my hotmailaccount that I use for Messenger, send by MS, urging me to get IE8 for better functionality with Messenger.

To add to the confusion, this is to top of the MSN website. Notice there is an icon for Messenger (the one my Messenger carries) ánd one for Windows Live - but the Messenger I have is apparently part of Windows Live.

Posted 4 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

@ LH - I think I will just wait till I have a new PC with Windows 7, because then I have to anyway <LOL>.

Posted 4 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Sarah, I should have remembered your screen shots from this other thread. It shows me that you are running Windows Live Messenger. The version that I have is Version 2009 (Build 14.0.8064.206). What about you?

The ads on the WL Messenger screens are very annoying and I wish they would stop that. Regarding the e-mails pushing IE8, are you saying that you get unsolicited e-mail from Microsoft in your Hotmail account? Is there no way opt-out? I can't believe that MS would spam that way. Also, how could they know that you are not running IE8 unless they have profiled your system and connected your identity with your e-mail account? That can't be it -- if MS were doing that, it would be front-page news on every tech website on the planet.

I don't like msn.com and never visit there on purpose.

Posted 4 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

Same version as you;)

I get email concerning WLM every once in a while and that pushes IE8. Not so often anymore - I opted out of something a while back and now they come in less often. And no I don't believe MS is monitoring anything, because I got an email like that in the period I had IE8 installed too.

I normally don't visit msn.com - was just for screenshot purposes;)

Edit: btw when I used to use msn.com to login to my hotmail I used to go straight to this screen:

But since IE8 is out I have to pass this screen first:

Posted 4 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

LOL - I just realized in that other post you linked to I did use the correct name.

Posted 4 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Sarah, they certainly have you targeted for IE8! I tried logging into WL Mail in IE7 and IE6, but never saw that screen pushing IE8. Maybe it's because you live in a EU member country.

I did notice that when I log out of WL Mail it sends the browser to msn.com. I don't usually see this because I would normally just close the tab rather than log out. One "nag" screen that I did see -- on an XP system with IE7, the home page is set to blank, but when IE is launched it goes to a "Welcome to IE8" page.

Posted 4 years ago

les1941

ScottW
you do not have to leave your live mail on the internet you set up folders just like you did in outlook express under options

Posted 4 years ago

krdinesh0704

i am unable to send the emails from windows mail.. Please help me on that..

Posted 4 years ago

vistamike
vistamike

Welcome krdinesh0704, could you start a new topic please,

Mike

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!