The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

(Solved) - Windows mail

(6 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by Leasholm
  • Latest reply from SarahJames
  • Topic Viewed 634 times

Leasholm

I appear to have lost windows mail. I have never used it so don't know if it was ever there but it is not in the start menu list or desktop. Any clues to how to get it back?

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi
Xhi

Have you looked at C:\Program Files\Windows Mail\WinMail.exe? That is where it is normally located.

However Windows Mail is no longer being supported or encouraged. There are many other good email clients if you need one, including, but not limited to, Windows Live Mail and Mozilla Thunderbird.

Posted 2 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

@ Xhi - What are you on about? Nothing wrong with Windows Mail and it's a darn sight better than Windows Live Mail.
That it isn't available in Win7 doesn't mean you have to cripple Vista for it.

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi
Xhi

Nothing wrong with Windows Mail. I have it on one of my Vista computers. It's just that it is on it's way out like Outlook Express. I liked it, too and used it for many years, but now except for XP it is no more. Just recommending a look toward the future.

Posted 2 years ago

nosparks

@ SarahJames - I agree with you! I liked Outlook Express. Windows Mail with Vista is very similar and the fact that Microsoft includes Windows Mail with Windows 7 (yes its there) and not have it work seems just ludicrous to me.

I use Windows 7 pro 64 bit and I do use Windows Mail. Sites like http://www.mydigitallife.info/.....windows-7/ and others give directions as to what's required to have it work.

Posted 2 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

Win8 is the future, oh wait, that was win 3.11 ...
Not much interested in the future, just interested in what works ;)

I love Windows Mail and I like it even better than Outlook Express for the simple reason that it makes backing up your emails a breeze.
Everything is stored as eml files in subfolders.
And you can even make a template in Explorer to display emailfolders with all kinds of emailproperties, so you can browse your backup folders without the need for a seperate app and you can open each eml on it's own.

And ok, I must admit Windows Live Mail supports the same (but is a hassle when you want to include pictures and the layout is terrible if you use multiple mailaccounts), but Thunderbird doesn't. There is another one that does save everything as eml too, but I forgot the name. I can look it up if needed.

So like nosparks I've taken Windows Mail with me on Win7 computers where possible ;)

Accepted Answer · Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.