The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - Windows Logon Screen

(7 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by gregg
  • Latest reply from gregg
  • Topic Viewed 1818 times

gregg

Can I change the Windows (XP and 7) logon screen — change graphics, remove certain items, add some items, change locations of the items on the screen
Gregg

Posted 4 years ago

MrMac
MrMac

Yes you can. There is a program located here that you can use. :)

Posted 4 years ago

Aleeve
Aleeve

Stardock Logon Studio is very good for XP (and Vista)

Posted 4 years ago

gregg

If I use Stardock Logon Studio and change the logon screen, am I voiding my warranty

Posted 4 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

gregg, you can review the Microsoft End-User License Terms for your OS, which includes warranty info, here:
http://www.microsoft.com/about.....fault.aspx

In the terms for OEM installs of Vista, I find these statements notable:

"If you follow the instructions and the software is properly licensed, the software will perform substantially as described in the Microsoft materials that you receive in or with the software."
"The limited warranty covers the software for 90 days after acquired by the first user."
"This warranty does not cover problems caused by your acts (or failures to act),..."

I expect that "your act" of using Stardock or other tweaks/hacks would exclude you from warranty coverage if your OS no longer performs "substantially as described". The XP terms are similar. Also, if your 90 days are up for an OEM install, go nuts because you have no warranty anymore. Also, Windows 7, being a Release Candidate, has no warranty so hack away!

Posted 4 years ago

cameronthebeast

I have stardock logon studio, it works great, sometimes causes my laptop to crash after changing the screen, but its nothing you cannot simply fix. It will not void your warranty. there are plenty of other backgrounds made for logon studio also that you can download. hope it works great for you!

Posted 4 years ago

gregg

Thanks everyone--

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!