The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Windows Live Onecare going away

(18 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by ScottW
  • Latest reply from jd2066
  • Topic Viewed 6700 times

ScottW

This little news item seems to be flying low under the radar, but Microsoft has officially announced that they will discontinue Windows Live Onecare, their security suite for home users. Here is the news item:
http://www.microsoft.com/Press.....ityPR.mspx

It seems to me that this product was not doing well from the get-go. Onecare was in beta for a long time and, even after it was released, there continued to be betas of the next version available (1.5 beta, 2.5 beta). It never scored high on AV shootouts. Now after being a real product for less than a year and a half, it's end has been announced. The only good news is that they will be replacing it with some kind of free software, codenamed Morro.

Until the cutoff, however, it looks like they will continue selling this product to unsuspecting users. They are still selling (as of today) a one-year 3-user subscription for $49.95 US, with no warning that in 6 months it will be unavailable and replaced by something free. Shame on them!

Posted 6 years ago

madmacs

@Scott, are you sure Morro will always be free? I think I have read somewhere that when Windows 7 arrives it comes without Windows Defender built in as this will be taken care of from "Morro" which will cost an annual fee!! Maybe it will be free until the Win7 release??

EDIT: Sorry have just read that link, I guess I can´t believe everything that is written in magazins!! (Unless M/S has a surprise in stall!!) LOL

Posted 6 years ago

Scott

From TFA:

"Windows Live OneCare will continue to be sold for Windows XP and Windows Vista at retail through June 30, 2009. Direct sales of OneCare will be gradually phased out when “Morro” becomes available. Regardless of their method of purchase, Microsoft will ensure that all current customers remain protected through the life of their subscriptions."

My understanding is that OneCare will be updated for the entire length of your paid subscription, however long that may be. As you know, it's a full suite and *may* offer some advantages compared to Morro(?). And while it's true OneCare never scored very high in the AV tests, it wasn't the worst either. I find it more than worthy but will not renew when our subscription expires in 3+ weeks. Then again, we paid $9.99 at a Costco Xmas sale last year, so it was worth it :)

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix

Matt,
You have brought up a very scary thought.
MS has long wanted to have subscription based O/Ses and software.
Even without "Cloud" computing, they could do it like they do WGA and PA using time.
Software as service or pay as you go ??
I remember discussions like this from the 1990s.
Don't want to even think about what the future could hold :( :(
Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 6 years ago

madmacs

Rick, now "Cloud" computing definately seems to be the way M/S is going. Apparently M/S has 70000 servers worldwide which ofcourse are not always fully used, e.g. when it´s nighttime in North America the servers are hardly being used, whilst here in Europe they are working overtime!! M/S netted 60 billion dollars in 2008 and the weakest link was the Internet!! I think there´s going to be a massive change in how they are thinking, the so called Windows Azure online O/S being launched in 2010 and before that the stripped down online "Office 14" due to be released end of next year!! We´ll be in for a surprise sooner or later!!

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix

Matt,
Your post is right on target as usual !!!!
Sure glad to have you on board.
Many times I have said something in my postings concerning the MS Business Model but felt no one understood what I was referring to or cared.
It's great to know that someone else shares my observations and concerns.
Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW

I see nothing nefarious about Microsoft working on a cloud OS. It seems that Google is doing the same and probably others. At least there will be competition in this space and that should be good for us consumers.

I don't approve of Microsoft continuing to sell a product -- Windows Live Onecare -- that has no future without a warning. Yes, I'm sure they will continue to support it and put out definitions, but there will never be a version 3.0. Eventually, anyone who has Onecare will have to abandon it, find a replacement, and learn the new product. At the very least, they should fully disclose the end date to all current subscribers and potential purchasers.

Posted 6 years ago

madmacs

Scott, I agree that cloud computing can be a good thing. As you said Google (App Engine) are doing the same, along with IBM, Amazon, Sun Microsystems and CRM (salesforce.com) but M/S are planning to drastically expand their servers (up to a million) in the next few years. So why do this if they are not planning to take over the market and make us pay for online apps/software? The internet was never a big deal to M/S (they didn´t even have an online shop until recently), now they seem to be restructuring for something big!! Just a thought, nothing more, nothing less. Matt

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix

@Matt,
All I can say is you must know the History of and Follow the "Big Technology Companies" as well as us old timers do. I haven't seen you miss (even one small detail) in the on going "saga" of MS v. World or what the other "Players" are doing. Really enjoy your postings. Ever think of starting a Blog ??
Kindest Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 6 years ago

Spacegold

The backlash from business and home users alike from having to subscribe to an OS service just to use their computer I can't even imagine. The service provider would have to offer something really outstanding, that again I cannot imagine. It certainly could be a great boon to MS's competitors in the OS business. A lot of businesses have already moved over to Linux, and it wont be that long before it is ready for Joe Computer.

Posted 6 years ago

BobJam

If MS does do this "subscribe to an OS service" stuff, I pretty much agree with Spacegold that there will be an enormous backlash, especially in these difficult economic times . . . indeed, MS couldn't have picked a worse time to try and launch this nonsense.

If it was a boom time and everbody was prosperous, that may be different. But right now people don't have much disposable income and businesses are scaling down. Very bad timing to ask people to dig into their already light wallets. Plus, unemployment is going up, and Joe Computer just flat out does not have the money to be spending on this stuff. When it comes to a choice between putting food on the table and subscribing to an OS service, Joe's going to spend what little money he has to put food on the table.

In fact, I bet the free software offerings are going to be more sought out now. Linux, as Sapcegold pointed out, and all open source offerings are going to have an opportunity.

The MS marketing people better take a look at the 6 O'Clock news on the economy! Helloooooo . . . !

Posted 6 years ago

madmacs

@Rick, i wouldn´t even know where to start using a blog, lol. I´ve never been into social networking, blogs, etc. Also I don´t see myself qualified enough to "seriously" write about the "big players". I´m just a chef that (for the past five years only) has taken an interest in reading a lot about computers and the world surrounding them. There are plenty of "Geeks" here that know a lot more than I probably ever will!! That´s why I came here, lol.

@Spacegold and BobJam, as I said in my previous post "Just a thought, nothing more, nothing less." M/S wouldn´t have to make us pay annualy for a whole O/S but could instead sell a "lightweight" O/S as normal, then make us pay for "add-ons". Is this a bad thing? Not neccesarily , there are plenty of features in Vista I don´t use (ie. Firewall, Defender, Meeting Space, DVD Maker etc., etc.). If M/S brought an O/S that was cheaper/faster that we could design "online" for our own special purposes then it could even be a good thing!!

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066

Just to clear some things up here:
According to what Microsoft has released when OneCare goes away a new free AntiVirus program will be released.
There is no subscription anymore for it nor is there going to be one for Windows. Anything that says otherwise is just spreading a rumor.
Microsoft is not doing a disservice buy leaving OneCare on the market, it is still a good AntiVirus and anyone with a OneCare Subscription can use the new free AntiVirus program when their Subscription is up.
I'm glad Microsoft is releasing a free AntiVirus for free. Then everyone will have a good free Firewall (Windows Firewall), Anti-Spyware (Windows Defender) and Anti-Virus.
People will no longer need the performance lowering programs of Norton and McAfee or use free ones that want to sell you an updated version (though not all may do that).

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix

@Bobjam,
AGREE.
Any Non-Free software which I cannot run without these machines being on line; I shall have (NO) part of.
Just like "Joe Computer", "Rick Retiree" has no funds for Non-Free frivolity.

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066

Replies:
> "If MS does do this "subscribe to an OS service" stuff, I pretty much agree with Spacegold that there will be an enormous backlash, especially in these difficult economic times"
Indeed I think many woudn't want that.

> ". . . indeed, MS couldn't have picked a worse time to try and launch this nonsense."
Except, that they aren't. People have been saying Microsoft wants to do a subscribe to the OS service for at least the last 8 years and nothing has ever come of it.

> A lot of businesses have already moved over to Linux, and it wont be that long before it is ready for Joe Computer.
Like my point above, people have been saying this for many years and it hasn't happened yet so I wouldn't expect it to happen anytime soon.

Normal Message:
Besides the other points, many people probably wouldn't be to willing to tie to their OS to Microsoft after the incident of Microsoft's activation servers going down and not being able to use their legal copies of Vista RTM.

Edit:
To add to my message on Anti-Virus above, there are probabably Anti-Virus programs that are not as big of performance hogs as Norton and McAfee though I think it's still possible that Microsoft's free Anti-Virus could be faster then them as Microsoft knows how Windows the best.
I don't really want them to make the Anti-Virus makers go out of business as that would suck for those employees.
Also I would agree with ScottW above the Microsoft should at add a notice to OneCare that they will need to switch to a different program.
Though as long as the free Anti-Virus comes out before the subscription expires I don't think the lack of a notice is that big of a deal.

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix

@jd2066,
Yeah, nothing ever came of PA or WGA either; right ?? MS just let those ideas go by the way side also. (LOL) (LOL)
Just having a bit of with you. :) :)
Best Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW

It's not clear yet what Microsoft's free AV software, codenamed Morro, will be like. It may not be a full security suite in the way that Onecare is. It may not be a suitable replacement for all the Onecare subscribers.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morro_%28software%29

Personally, I would be very disappointed if I purchased some software and then found out a few months later that it would no longer be sold or developed and that this was known for many months and I was not told. And I'd really be upset if the manufacturer started giving away the same (or similar) thing that I paid for, free to everyone who didn't!

BTW, from the article on Morro, I noticed that I had the dates wrong and Onecare has been around for a full 2.5 years, not 1.5 as I stated above.

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066

@raphoenix:
Despite your post being a joke I'll still respond:
Actully PA wasn't talked about for as long and isn't as bad as it could be.
WGA was something that I don't think anyone really saw coming. I was only talking about things people said Microsoft was going to do and did or didn't do.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.