Windows Live Mail versus Windows Mail

(42 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by SarahJames
  • Latest reply from SarahJames
  • Topic Viewed 95344 times

SarahJames
SarahJames

Hi Ted,

As far as I understand it Incredimail uses rootkits and is a form of spyware, so I would definitely NOT use that. I'd strongly advise your brother against installing it on his new computer!

Take care,
Sarah.

Posted 4 years ago

Ted16
Ted16

Thanks Sarah,
You have made my day, cannot wait to send this to my young brother.
All the best,
Ted

Posted 4 years ago

Santo
Santo

@Sarah

Have you tried the Windows 7 upgrade from Vista as mentioned in one of your previous post?

Posted 4 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

NO, Santo, there's no time, no time :(
I'm eager to do it now, since I probably will be able to do an inplace upgrade after all (thanks to Vistalizator), but I just can't afford to work on funstuff right now.
Will let you know when I've gotten to it :)
(Don't hold your breath for it, will take sooooome time LOL)

Posted 4 years ago

Ted16
Ted16

Sarah,
My brother says thanks but does not agree with Incredimail being spyware. says see http://www.longbraid.com/incre.....yware.html There is a link to a privacy statement on that site.
Regards,
Ted

Posted 4 years ago

TouchuvGrey
TouchuvGrey

i've been using Thunderbird for several years now. Originally with xp, then
Vista, now Windows 7. It does everything i need it to.
i prefer to avoid Microsoft products when
possible. i don't trust google or yahoo much more than i do MS.

i have a domain i own ( worth it if only to have somewhat
more private email )

Posted 4 years ago

owsjr

This is a great post for information. I still have a few questions about upgrading from Vista to Windows 7.

I have an HP laptop that had Vista and came with an upgrade for Windows 7. When I did the upgrade I did not know I could take Windows Mail folder to Windows 7, and paste it in the folder Program Files and have Windows Mail on 7.
Since I have already done the upgrade and no longer have Windows Mail, only Windows Live Mail is there a way to still load Windows Mail?
I prefer it because it allows sub-folders in my email storage folders and Windows Live dose not.

One more question: I now have an icon on the desk top, DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS. It seems to have all everything that is in MY DOCUMENTS plus some old stuff.
Is it the same thing, and can I get rid of one of them?
Thanks for all your help.

Posted 4 years ago

Bartman
Bartman

Hi owsjr. Welcome to HTG. Could you post your question in a new topic please? Thank you.

Posted 4 years ago

JonMCC33
JonMCC33

Thankfully I use Office Outlook 2007. I'm not sure I could handle the "Live" version that Microsoft put out. O_O

Posted 4 years ago

briankay

Hi Sarah,
Thanks for the excellent information ! I had a problem with Livemail also.I send & receive several emails a day to & from several friends. I decided to try Win 7 as a dual - boot to try to find a successor to Outlook Express. The biggest problem I found with Live Mail is that if I put more than 5 or 6 names in the "To" field, it told me to remove some of them. Huh? The Master/Slave thing seemed totally skewed.

I tried MS Office Outlook which seemed OK , but I never quite felt comfortable with it. Like Livemail it seemed to be more interested in doing multiple
things I didn't need while not addressing the basic need to send a simple email.

I couldn't get Thunderbird to import the addresses I'd exported from OE in either comma deliminated text format or csv format so I never gave it a chance.
Frustrated by all of this, I was about to reboot when I remembered hearing about "emulation mode". I downloaded both the Virtual Machine &
Win XP Emulator and guess what? I could now use OE again. It takes a couple of extra steps (you have to enter a password for the emulator
and manually enter your ISP password) , but it's a free download from the Microsoft website and works well. OE is the only desktop email programme I've found that will allow you to create folders containing multiple users email addresses. Outlook almost gets you there, but if you attempt to temporarily remove a name from the folder, it removes it completely from the program. Hope this helps somebody.

Posted 4 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

Thanks for that input, Briankay!

Posted 4 years ago

GKI610
GKI610

Santo, can I copy the Windows Mail folder from a computer that has Vista (burn CD) and put it on my clean install of Win 7 to avoid 'Live'?

Posted 4 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

Yes, you can:)

Posted 4 years ago

datsun1600

Umm, my first post! Great info for one as pc illiterate as me (found it via gooygle). I too have upgraded from Vista to W7 and took MS on face value and swapped Windows Mail for Live Mail. I HATE it. Can't save emails to HDD - important when using email for official/business corro - and when I print an email (again for work) it comes out in a massive font size, so a three piece conversation comes out on 6 sheets of paper! Given the sage advice above I'll be dumping Live Mail asap. Thanks

Posted 4 years ago

baldeguy56
baldeguy56

Sarah,
A very well written and informative thread. Being an Outlook2007 and Hotmail user, I must admit that I've skipped this thread, till now, because I use neither. I will come back for the info given here. I tried Windows Live and uninstalled it for the same reason you had given, "It is intrusive" (I know you're not Win Live bashing, but only providing information). The information you have provided so far convinces me more to keep it that way. I'm still looking for and awaiting the appearance of an e-mail program that will do it all with customizable features, interoperability with all other e-mail programs as well as e-mail protocals and without the intrusion. But, as ScottW would say, "That would be great in the perfect world, but in the real world..." Anyway, once again, a great thread...Garry

Posted 4 years ago

calebstein
calebstein

Just use seamonkey. Web browser and email client in one.

Posted 4 years ago

germ-x
germ-x

@SarahJames,
Very informative reading. There appears to be some good and bad points with most email clients. I am trying to replace my current webmail and Windows Live is "NOT THE ONE" as it stores my personal info on MS servers. Tried Incredimail with all the Bells & Whistles but everyone said " BAD CHOICE". I am usinf Thunderbird but not really impressed. AOL is very good but not sure about their free webmail version. Gotta get away from Juno.

g-x

Posted 4 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

Thanks guys :)
I just stick to Vista myself - problem solved :D

Posted 4 years ago

froghorn

Hi all, my first post
Just moved to a new computer with windows 7 (from XP and a bit of vista) following this informative thread (thanks Sarah) I copied the "windows mail" folder from laptop to the program file in windows7.
It did not work, clicking on winmail.exe did not appear to do anything, could not delete it, access denied.
Looked at the attrib of winmail.exe there was a "H & S" there, I assume these mean Hidden & System.
Submit for comments.
From Froghorn (could not see a box for my name)

Posted 4 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

Hi Froghorn,

Welcome to HTG :)
I recently read about someone else who had the same problem ánd solved it.
I'm on my way out now, but I'll post back later when I have found that link again.
(your name automatically appears on the left of your post).

Cheers,
Sarah.

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!