How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Windows Live Email

(10 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by SqBear
  • Latest reply from Xhi
  • Topic Viewed 347 times

SqBear
SqBear

How can I "copy" the names and email addresses from my contact list to Word?
I have several "distribution lists" and I need to copy the lists to Word to double check the names against our membership list for proper distribution via emails.

All I can see that I can do is "copy to" and "move to" or "email to" and it gives me a list of the distribution list folders or a blank email to send the contact a message.

Thanks
Dave

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

Better idea is to export your contact list as a Comma Separated Value file (.csv) which can then be opened and manipulated easily in Excel or any spreadsheet.

Posted 1 year ago

oldgeezer

As XHi says, if you look along the menu bar in your Contacts folder there is an 'export' button - that gives you the option to save your contacts as a spreadsheet file (Excel) - Word is capable of importing csv files as well, it just appears as a table, but Excel is more flexible if you have a lot of contacts/columns.

Posted 1 year ago

SqBear
SqBear

Thanks guys....
However, if I "export" the names in the selected distribution file, will this case the names to dissapear from the contacts list/folders?
To me "export" means "send away, get rid of, etc."??

Posted 1 year ago

SqBear
SqBear

Xhi and oldgeezer, I took your advise on the export....
However, and I still do not know what the heck I am doing either.... What I am asking for are just the names in a particular folder.
I have 52+ folders of various clubs/units, each with from 8 names to 108 names+. I want a list of the names from a particular folder.
When I exported as suggested, this exported the entire contact list, not just the particular folder(s) that I wanted. I opened the folder, selected all the names, clicked on "export" and followed the directions. It still exported all of the names in the contact list, not just the names in the folder I selected.
Make sence? I'm a newbieeee here, have patients, and thanks for the reply to my post as well.
Also, when I clicked on the "report" in the post I did not know that it accepted the answer as "solved". Really, my problem is not solved.
Thanks again guys!!

Posted 1 year ago

SqBear
SqBear

Xhi and oldgeezer, Have you had a chance to review my last post question? Or am I missing where the answer is? Also, how do you log off thsi web site? All I see is Log On, not a log off. When I close the web page and come back, it still has me logged on and again no log off area. Remember, i too am a very newbieeee here and am working my way around.
Thanks

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

Logout is top righthand corner of page.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Logout is on top right hand corner.

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

I think he may be referring to a cache problem (not really a problem) but if the OP was to go to several different pages then the Login option goes away and Log out is offered.

Similar thing happens to me it just corrects itself after a couple of pages.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

Back to the problem at hand. I have looked at my windows live and I can not find out a way to do what you are asking. It only seems to Export the whole list and not the sub Categories.

Edit: Here's how to do it.

Plagiarized from http://answers.microsoft.com/e.....f644da279d

Create a new temporary folder on your desktop.
In WLMail's Contacts window (Ctrl-3), select the category in the left-hand pane
Press Ctrl-A to select All
Drag the selection and drop it into the temporary folder

Added by me:
Get Free VCF to Excel XLSX Converter 2.0a Beta, Go to the "External Mirror 1" to download. (Ignore all other Download buttons).
Extract the zip file downloaded and in the folder created (Free VCF to Excel xlsx v2a) click on Free VCF to Excel xlsx v2a.exe
In the window that comes up click Select VCF Files and navigate to the folder where you stored you vcf files.
Use CTRL + A to select all. Click Open and then click on Create Excell File.
It will create the Excell file in the same folder as your VCF files named Vcf to Excel File.xlsx
Click on it and there they are.

It is a little bit of work, but it does work.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!