How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Windows is booting into Windows Boot Manager

(20 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by ShelS
  • Latest reply from ShelS
  • Topic Viewed 2191 times

ShelS
ShelS

I have an Acer Aspire 5534 I am trying to repair.
When it was given to me it was just a black screen. I tried to repair windows with the repair disk with no luck. It boots into Windows Boot Manager which says:

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. to fix the problem:
1. Insert your windows installation disc and restart your computer
2. Choose your language settings, and then click "next"
3. Click "Repair your computer"

If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.

File: \Windows\system32\winload.exe
Info: The selected entry could not be loaded because the application is missing or corrupt.

I did as it said the outcome is as follows: When the system recovery options box comes open it shows:
operating system windows 7 (correct) partition size 0 location (unknown) Local disk
I click next choose startup repair. It does it thing. Here is the diagnostic and repair details I got before clicking finish:
Startup Repair diagnosis and repair log
----------------------------------
Number of repair attempts: 1
Session details
--------------------
System Disk = \Device\Harddisk0
Windows directory =
AutoChk Run =0
Number of root causes = 1

Test Performed:
--------------------
Name: Check for updates
Results: Completed successfully. Error code = 0x0
time taken = 31 ms
---------------------
Test Performed:
-------------
Name: System disk test
Result: completed successfully. Error code = 0x0
Time taken = 32 ms
----------------
test performed
----------------
name: disk failure diagnosis
result: completed successfully. error code = 0x0
time taken = 577 ms
-------------------
test performed:
--------------------------
name; disk metadata test
result; completed successfully. error code = 0x0
time taken = 31 ms
-------------------
test performed:
------------------------
name: target OS test
time taken = 203 ms

root cause found:
-------------------------
Boot configuration is corrupt.

Repair action Partition table repair
time taken = 873 ms
--------------------------------

when it restarts I get the same windows boot manager screen as above. unsure what to try next.

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

Hi ShelS ,

Welcome to HTG ,

You may need to run the repair 3 - 5 times before you see a difference.

Posted 1 year ago

ShelS
ShelS

Thank you GuiltySpark. I will try that. If still having problems later will post them here.

Posted 1 year ago

ShelS
ShelS

ok the last three attempts to run the repair has gave me windows cannot repair this computer automatically. sending more infomation can help microsoft create solutions. I send it to microsoft as recommended. after that window is gone it says. if you have recently attached a device to this computer, such as a camera or portable music player, remove it and restart your computer.(for which i have not plugged anything into it so this error just confounds me more). the diagnostic and repair details are as follows:
Startup Repair diagnosis and repair log
----------------------------------
Number of repair attempts: 1
Session details
--------------------
System Disk = \Device\Harddisk0
Windows directory =
AutoChk Run =0
Number of root causes = 1

Test Performed:
--------------------
Name: Check for updates
Results: Completed successfully. Error code = 0x0
time taken = 31 ms
---------------------
Test Performed:
-------------
Name: System disk test
Result: completed successfully. Error code = 0x0
Time taken = 31 ms
----------------
test performed
----------------
name: disk failure diagnosis
time taken = 250 ms
-------------------
test performed:
--------------------------
name; disk metadata test
result; completed successfully. error code = 0x0
time taken = 31 ms
-------------------
test performed:
------------------------
name: target OS test
time taken = 203 ms

root cause found:
-------------------------
Boot configuration is corrupt.

Repair action Partition table repair
result: completed successfully. error code = 0x490
time taken = 359 ms
--------------------------------

Tried to restore to earlier point in time. She didn't create a restore point. So that won't work. At least she has a back up of all her photos and files, so not worried of losing anything. Unsure what to try next. It bothers me that the recovery tool says: operating system: Windows 7 on (unknown) Local Disk. could that be part of the problem? I have not worked on computers in years and then I normally always had help.

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

Possibly, Did your friend have the OS stored on an external HDD ?

Are there any SD cards and such installed which could be adding to the confusion ?

You can try using PW to see if there are any OS's and what/which drive it is on, would also tell you if there are any other devices attached : http://www.partitionwizard.com/download.html

Use the bootable cd version (free) at the bottom of page.

Edit : I should also point out that PW can fix MBR (master boot record) and might be able to fix boot config but can't remember off the top of my head.
Burn using : http://www.filehippo.com/download_imgburn/

Posted 1 year ago

ShelS
ShelS

No the OS is on drive C as I have installed a few programs for her in the past. I am one hundred percent sure the OS is on C. No there is no SD cards or such installed.
When I boot from the recovery cd at the system recovery options screen when I click load drivers and then click ok it opens the open file window I see in the drop down Look in: Desktop, libraries, system, computer, acer (c:), system reserved (d:), pqservice (e:), cd drive (f:) repair disc windows 7 64-bit, boot (x:)
Is there something else we can try other than burning the disk at the moment? I will have to run to store to pick up blank media.

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

Try the commands given here : http://www.howtogeek.com/howto.....-problems/

Posted 1 year ago

Ruja

When you are on the recovery environment, press SHIFT + F10 to open a command prompt. Then run this command:

sfc /SCANNOW /OFFBOOTDIR=c:\ /OFFWINDIR=c:\windows

Also, for a complete bootloader repair try this. From the "Load Drivers" open file dialog, take note of the drive letters and their sizes too. Then mark your Windows 7 partition as active. Use the following commands:

diskpart
(you are now inside DISKPART>)
list disk
select disk 0 (select the hard drive with Windows 7, sizes in bytes are shown)
list partition
select partition 1 (select the partition with your Windows 7 installation, sizes in bytes are shown)
active
exit

You can now try to restart. If it is not fixed, try to repair your bootloader. Run the following command, where C: is your System partition (check the drive letter):

\windows\system32\bootsect.exe /nt60 C:

Then run:

bootrec /fixmbr
bootrec /fixboot
bootrec /rebuildbcd

Then restart your computer.

Posted 1 year ago

ShelS
ShelS

same problem with everything I try. i am at a complete loss at the moment. considering going back to factory settings.

Posted 1 year ago

ShelS
ShelS

ok tried going back to factory settings now I have : Restore failed - Error code = 1117 (The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.)

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

Is that by using the eRecovery option ?

Posted 1 year ago

ShelS
ShelS

yes

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

Could be a number of different problems here, go into the BIOS and check to see if there is a HDD test option - just to rule out a failing HDD.

Where did the Repair disc come from ?

Posted 1 year ago

ShelS
ShelS

I did not find a test option.
When she bought the laptop she bought three of the same ones. I sat a burned the 3 recovery disk, the windows recovery disk and the drivers disk for each one of them. I had her give me two of the sets when she brought the laptop over for me to see if I could fix it.
Is there something I could run to see if its the HDD?

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

There are but would need to know what make your HDD is.

Posted 1 year ago

ShelS
ShelS

toshiba hdd2h24 by the way thank you so much for your help.

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

I cannot find a bootable tester for that HDD, if you have a HDD casement/reader you can connect it to a computer and try one of these sites : http://www.hgst.com/support/downloads/#WINDFT

Or

http://storage.toshiba.com/sto.....-utilities

Both have to be run from within windows (i think).

The link I posted earlier about PW allows for you to run a surface scan of the disc to pick up problems and also fix the MBR.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Why don't you just reinstall the OS and activate it with the Key on the COA sticker. You can get the .iso from here: http://www.mydigitallife.info/.....tal-river/

Posted 1 year ago

ShelS
ShelS

I dont how I did it but ... I decided to try the Recovery Disk set. got to the disk 3 it was running as normal. then it popped up with that Restore failed - Error code = 1117 (The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.) click exit. removed the disk then it started restarting over and over. I hit the F8 just to see what it would do. I got it to come up in the log screen for safe mode and etc. I chose safe mode with command prompt. It has started listing all the processes it is loading. I seems to be stuck. I had read somewhere else where another tech asked for the last three that loaded. I dont know if it will help but they are as follows:

Loaded: \windows\system32\drivers\hwpolicy.sys
Loaded: \windows\system32\DRIVERS\fvevol.sys
Loaded: \windows\system32\DRIVERS\disk.sys

After a few moments I got a blue screen that didn't stay long enough to read it. I tried to recreate it with no luck in reading it. After another try I was able to get back into the log on choice screen again. Going to try some of the other choices. to see what I get.

Posted 1 year ago

ShelS
ShelS

Here is what the blue screen reads:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

CRITICAL_SERVICE_FAILED

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. I f this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup options, and then select safe mode.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x0000005A (0X0000000000000001, 0X0000000000000001, 0X0000000000000000, 0X0000000000000000)

Collecting data for crash dump...
Initializing disk for crash dump...
Beginning dump of physical memory.
dumping physical memory to disk: 100
Physical memory dump complete.
Contact your system admin or technical support group for further assistance.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.