The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Windows Firewall wont start

(16 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by Vynniewh
  • Latest reply from Vynniewh
  • Topic Viewed 589 times

Vynniewh

WIndows Firewall is giving me the error code "0x8007042c" which means either the firewall is disabled or there is malware in my computer. I already scanned my system for malware and found 11. I deleted them all but the firewall still isn't responding. I opened up Services from the search box in the Start Menu and went down to Windows Firewall. It is set to Automatic but it is stopped. When I try to start it I get an error message saying "Windows could not start the Windows Firewall service on local computer. Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start." I'm not sure what to do from here. I really need help asap.

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi

You may need to go on to method 3 in this senario. ā€œ0x8007042cā€ error message when you try to start Windows Firewall

Posted 2 years ago

Vynniewh

I tried that and I'm still getting the same error

Posted 2 years ago

GuiltySpark

@ Vynniewh ,

What AV are you using ?

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse

What A/V are you running ?

Posted 2 years ago

Vynniewh

I'm running Eset Smart Security

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi

Eset Smart Security has a firewall that comes with it. Only one firewall can run at the same time. This may be the problem.

Posted 2 years ago

Vynniewh

Should I uninstall the program then?

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse

It has it's own firewall, and you can't run 2. Disable one of them.

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi

Leave well enough alone. Why do you want Windows Firewall if you already have one?

Posted 2 years ago

Vynniewh

The main problem I'm having is whenever I try to download a program like World of Warcraft my computer closes everything and then restarts itself into safe mode every time. I was able to download Ventrilo but I can't download World of Warcraft. I had no idea what was causing this since I've never seen this happen before and I thought maybe it was the firewall preventing me from downloading the program. When I went to take a look at the firewall it said that the firewall was not in its recommended settings and I got the "0x8007042c" error code when I try to set it back to its recommended settings.

Posted 2 years ago

GuiltySpark

What site are you trying to download WOW from ?

Posted 2 years ago

Vynniewh

From my battle.net account on the official website. I'm using firefox and when it saves the download file and I double click on it to run the download everything closes and my computer restarts in safe mode

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi

A working firewall would not act like that. If one thinks the firewall is the problem one disables the firewall to find out.

Posted 2 years ago

GuiltySpark

I would first check to see that your computer meets all requirements for the game to run, then take it up with their forum as it may be a bug in their download.

Edit : try installing it this way : https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/booting-windows-in-safe-mode

Posted 2 years ago

Vynniewh

My old computer that I played WoW on is the same computer I have right now. I know its not a bug in their download because the same thing happened when I tried to download pandacloud antivirus which I also had on my old computer and it worked just fine

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.