The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

(Solved) - windows explorer.exe error / closing :(

(19 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by comfused
  • Latest reply from ScottW
  • Topic Viewed 10668 times

comfused

for the past week ive been having a real problem with my pc when i try to open certain folders that contain video files and more recentyly its started to happen when i try to open actual video files/movies. Even ones that worked normally before. its driving me crazy. I get the message gui saying..
<b> "windows explorer has encountered an eroor and needs to close"</b>

when i click on the link that says- '...data this error report contains i get the following gui message..
<b> "AppName: explorer.exe AppVer: 6.0.2900.3156 ModName: unknown
ModVer: 0.0.0.0 Offset: 00000000" </b>

the app name of course changes depending on whats crashed, last time it was- ctcms.exe- (the media player)

Ive done SafeMode scans for viruses, spyware. Used RegCure, reg mechanic. spyware doctor, antivir, avast.
but if anything the problem is worse now that when it started. Could it be some kind of malware?
Id like to avoid doin a system restore as i dont want to loose sw and or movies, tunes, and updates since my last restore point about 8 months ago. Help ...

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW

comfused, this is always a tough problem to diagnose. Since you have already scanned for malware, let's try another direction. Do you have a lot of things loading at startup? Such things that load and run in the background can cause conflicts.

Run the System File Checker (SFC) tool that is built into XP. It checks to see that no essential Windows files are corrupt or missing. From a command prompt, run "sfc /scannow". Here's a Microsoft KB article about the SFC:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310747

Finally, check the Event Viewer. It's in Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Event Viewer. Look hardest in the System and Application sections, especially for red X's. Sláinte.

Posted 6 years ago

k9

Hmm... there might be a problem with the codecs installed on your system. Did you install any codecs/codec pack recently. I had a similar problem where my explorer.exe used to crash whenever I used to open a folder containing video files and the thumbnail view has been selected. I had installed a codec pack which had messed up my pc and after uninstalling the codec pack I was relieved of this problem.

Posted 6 years ago

comfused

tanx a mill for ur advice guys, i havnt had a chance to put it to use yet but ill get crackin on it soon. i have been downloading movies and some graphic s/w lately but i always scan stuff b4 opening. i have caught some trojans etc. its not just the folders but also when i try some movie files its crashing the media players.
anyway ill have a go an let u know how i get on.

Posted 6 years ago

comfused

tanx k9 but no didnt install any codecs lately.

ScottW, i checked out -Administrative Tools -> Event Viewer. Application section, (for red X's) and found TONS of them!!

here is one that i checked the properties of... (it might as well be Klingon to me ,lol)

Faulting application explorer.exe, version 6.0.2900.3156, faulting module unknown,
version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x00000000.

0000: 41 70 70 6c 69 63 61 74 -Applicat
0008: 69 6f 6e 20 46 61 69 6c -ion Fail
0010: 75 72 65 20 20 63 74 63 -ure ctc
0018: 6d 73 2e 65 78 65 20 33 -ms.exe 3
0020: 2e 30 2e 33 37 2e 30 20 -.0.37.0
0028: 69 6e 20 75 6e 6b 6e 6f - in unkno
0030: 77 6e 20 30 2e 30 2e 30 - wn 0.0.0
0038: 2e 30 20 61 74 20 6f 66 - .0 at of
0040: 66 73 65 74 20 30 30 30 - fset 000
0048: 30 30 30 30 30 0d 0a - 00000..

this seems to relate to the media player crashing...i think but not clue as to why etc.

Posted 6 years ago

comfused

i checked SYSTEM section and i got many Warnings and Errors including this error (recent sample..)

TCP/IP has reached the security limit imposed on the number of concurrent TCP connect attempts.

0000: 00 00 00 00 01 00 54 00 ......T.
0008: 00 00 00 00 82 10 00 80 ....‚..€
0010: 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........

this was the most recent error msg/red X...
>>
The Service Control Manager tried to take a corrective action (Restart the service) after the unexpected termination of the Windows Management Instrumentation service, but this action failed with the following error: An instance of the service is already running. <<

umm...this any help?

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW

Well, this is progress. You have to take the errors in the Event Viewer one at a time and try to resolve each one. You can try googling on the error number or message to see if there's any advice out there already. Also, be careful to look at the dates on the event logs because they can be quite old. The ones we are most interested in are those with recent dates and especially since the last boot. Sometimes, it helps to shutdown the system for a few hours, then boot up to see which events are created with a timestamp after the boot is initiated.

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW

I have a Creative music player (Zen vision:M), so I recognize ctcms.exe as Creative MediaSource. However, the error log says you are running version 3, it seems, and the latest is version 5. Since you are having trouble with it, you should try uninstalling CMS and all of it's plugins. An uninstall should not delete your library and playlists, and you can also back them up in the settings menu.

You should then go to creative.com and find the latest drivers and software for your device which will hopefully include CMS 5. Update the drivers and software as recommended by Creative and see if it stops crashing.

Posted 6 years ago

comfused

cheers for that,
this is the most recent error, if its any help, (from bout an hour ago..)

Faulting application explorer.exe, version 6.0.2900.3156, faulting module unknown,
version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x00000000.

regarding creative mediaplayer, u think its possible that mitebe the problem? i dont seem, to be havin any other major issues with other apps, just when i open certain folders with video files in them or when i try to run some video files? altho its crashing on the other players also, AMplayer and winamp etc.
This problem only started after downloading a few movies with uTorrent, tho previous downloads have worked fine.

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW

comfused, oh yeah, I forgot about the folders. This is somewhat reminiscent of a problem we have seen before with others who had problems with video codecs and/or DirectShow filters. In fact, that's what k9 was suggesting and it's a good idea. Some folks have been cured of this ailment by uninstalling codec packs. And those codec packs would not have to be installed "lately" -- if they were installed at any time in the past I would still be suspicious.

Also, we have seen folks who had trouble opening folders with pictures and/or videos in them because Windows is trying to render thumbnails and that means it has to read the files. If there is a problem with your DS filters, this could be a symptom. The Geek has an article on how to do this in Vista. I don't know how to do it in XP, but this article looks promising:
http://www.mydigitallife.info/.....indows-xp/

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW

As for MediaSource, I was only picking on that one because of the Application Crash error that you posted. Also, version 3 is quite downlevel. However, if other media player apps crash, too, then it's probably not specific to CMS.

Also, I mentioned above about running the System File Checker (SFC). I still think that you should do that. It ensures that all the system files are right which is just good diagnostic procedure. It means that we can rule out all of that as a potential problem.

The next step after the above is to use the K-lite Code Tweak Tool to check out your DS filters and codecs. That's getting a bit ahead, but in case I'm not around, one of the other geeks can follow my lead.

Posted 6 years ago

comfused

tanx, ill give it a go. i just yesrday did a 'chkdsk in the cmd window/dos.

chkdsk c: and then
chkdsk /f

then restarted pc, but got no issues/errors showing up..

ok, ill try removing those codecs. Will stuff run ok without them? what about DivX codecs, just got the divx pack lately too.

also i know theres a way to disable thumnail view but will it effect folders with pics in them. i have a lot of pics, gifs etc an it reallt useful to see whatswhat thru thumnail view... ?

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW

comfused, we are testing the theory that generating thumbnails for videos may be exposing a codec conflict. So, disabling all thumbnails is one way to check it. Of course, that will disable thumbnails for pictures as well, but all the thumbnails will come back when the problem is resolved.

Here's another idea. Let's go straight to the K-lite Codec Tweak tool to see if it detects any codec problems and maybe it won't be necessary to disable thumbnails at all. Get the Tweak tool here:
http://www.free-codecs.com/Cod.....wnload.htm

Select the options Detect broken codecs, Detect broken DirectShow filters and run it. If it finds a problem you can let it fix it, or you can post the output here if you would like a second opinion.

Posted 6 years ago

comfused

dude i got it sorted!! :) i uninstalled a bunch of codecs (acf3 filter, vidX, and one other) they came in a sort of codec bundle an i installed them months ago but only started havin problems last week r 2. Its worked a treat anyway so i guess i shuda listen to you an k9 sooner. I really was paraniod about virus or malware i guess. now i got complete thumnasils views and i can play my vids again. cool, and thanx again!

a bit less comfused

Posted 6 years ago

comfused

umm how do i mark this as solved? :) or maybe admin can ..

cheers :)

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse

Too late begorrah :)

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW

comfused, I'm glad it's working for you. Score another point for codec pack removal. Thanks to k9 for thinking of it. I'm going to start asking everyone with a problem to start by removing all codec packs!

Posted 6 years ago

maatty

Thank you ScottW, I benefited a lot from your replies.

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW

Maaty, it's nice to know that something that I wrote 3 months ago can still help people. Can you please give us a brief summary of your problem and the solution? It always helps to track the solutions that work. For example, the system file checker (SFC) has rarely fixed a problem, but removal of codec packs has a very high rate of success. Thanks.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.