The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

windows explorer shortcut

(7 posts)
  • Started 7 years ago by stoney
  • Latest reply from The Geek
  • Topic Viewed 19582 times

stoney

In Win XP I was able to use the Explorer Icon on my desktop by making the 'Target'
C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe /n,/e,c:\

Is there a way to do this in Vista.

It allows me to open Windows Explorer at the beginning of the 'C' drive with all Folders below instead of opening above the 'C' drive in that stupid "User Name" place.

Any help appreciated.

stoney

Posted 7 years ago

supermansghost

The same thing should work in Vista, just create a new shortcut with that as the target.

Posted 7 years ago

Enno

Can you link it to the <windows key - e> keyboard shortcut? In other words, link that keystroke to the command line suggested by Stoney?

Enno

Posted 7 years ago

Scott

RESTORE = SHUTDOWN -r -t 01 (Where 't' equals 'time', in seconds)
SHUTDOWN = SHUTDOWN -s -t 01 (Where 't' equals 'time', in seconds)

-EDIT, sorry, wrong thread

Posted 7 years ago

supermansghost

Enno,

You can always add a shortcut key into the properties for the shortcut itself. Just right-click it and go into the properties, there's a box for assigning a hotkey.

Posted 7 years ago

Enno

Good idea. I've done that for other programs, why not for this?

But for others trying it, beware - the hotkey is always "alive", meaning it will override hotkeys within other programs like Word. If you go into Word, Word options, Customize, Customize Keyboard (at the bottom), you can type any key combination into the new shortcut box and it will tell you on the left if that key combination is already assigned to something else. If it is something you don't care about, fine, but if it is think again. So, for example, you probably wouldn't want to assign control-X to start Excel (but control-alt-X is free).

Thanks again (second time today).

Posted 7 years ago

The Geek

Personally I use AutoHotkey to setup all my hotkeys, because it can do a lot more than launch applications... it's easiest to keep everything in the same place.

It's a little bit more advanced, though.

Posted 7 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.