The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Windows Experience Index Vista compared to Windows7

(16 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by fantazmic2
  • Latest reply from shelded
  • Topic Viewed 2043 times

fantazmic2

Has anyone else compared the Windows Experience Index in Vista to Windows7? As you can see based on my scores, Windows7 must have a different rating system compared to Vista:

Dual Boot System Windows7 / Vista Results:
Processor 5.8 / 5.3 (+5)
Memory 5.8 / 5.1 (+7)
Graphics 4.1 / 4.1 (No Change)
Gaming Graphics 5.1 / 4.7 (+4)
Primary hard disk 5.5 / 5.4 (+1)

Posted 5 years ago

0zSpitt

i scored lower on windows7 (a 3.0), but it performs better

Posted 5 years ago

whs

Those nums don't mean much. Don't worry about a few tenth back and forth. They are not based on performance measurements - just wild guesses.

Posted 5 years ago

0zSpitt

so i shouldn't think much of myself for getting a 5.6 on my newest build? i feel incomplete now :P

Posted 5 years ago

whs

Oz, if you like the way your build runs, then you met the target. Who cares about some worthless numbers.

Posted 5 years ago

0zSpitt

actually i beat my target. that dell xps quadcore q6600, junkyjunky always rated a 5.4. i was just trying to match that. the geforce 9800 pushed me past it, but the prossessor took me back to 5.6. numbers get me randy, lol

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW

The maximum Experience Index value in Windows 7 has been increased to 7.9. Perhaps the scale has been changed as well -- I haven't found a definitive answer.

Posted 5 years ago

Scott

For what's its worth, and I guess not much:

Vista

Posted 5 years ago

0zSpitt

that"s where mine came in at 3.0

Posted 5 years ago

madmacs

5.3 here!!

Posted 5 years ago

0zSpitt

i just installed it on my xps as a dual boot so i can use wmc. it rated a 2.0 on 7, and 5.4 on vista. it didn't like the seagate hard drive i guess

Posted 5 years ago

zifnab06

Scott, just a question for you. Did you have to switch to AHCI from SATA in your motherboard settings to install Win7? That might drop your score, but thats about all i can think that would do that....unless the SATA driver they have included with 7 isn't as good as the manufacturer's driver

Posted 5 years ago

LH

Um. Vista 4.5. W7 (in VM) 1.0

Posted 5 years ago

Scott

http://blogs.msdn.com/e7/archi.....index.aspx

Posted 5 years ago

LH

Forgot to mention, mine was RAM showing at 1.0
All else normal.

Posted 5 years ago

shelded

I loaded Win7 on netbook which has WinXP on it; the drivers had to be updated for Win7 so I think WEI scoring may be affected by the drivers we use. You might want to load the Win7-capable drivers on your Vista system so you compare same drivers for Vista and Win7. I got comparable-but-better scores in Win7 vs others who have Vista running on the netbook.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.