The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

windows encountered a problem copying files

(18 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by amberlynn82
  • Latest reply from LH
  • Topic Viewed 74744 times

amberlynn82

I am trying to copy some pictures onto a cd, which I have done hundreds of times on this exact same computer. However, when I am trying to do it now it keeps giving me the error message.

Windows encountered a problem when trying to copy this file. What do you want Windows to do?

And then it gives all of the detailed information for the picture. I have tried saving it to desktop and then copying, changing the file name, and nothing will work. I tried copying some files onto a DVD and that is when it first gave me this same exact error message. I didnt think anything of it, but got the same message now when trying to use a CD-R. Could I have messed something up inserting the DVD? It is a DVD - R/RW hard drive so I dont know why it didnt work anyway. I need to copy pictures to discs all the time for my business, can anyone help me? Oh, and BTW, the control + c option did not work to copy the text in the error message. Thought you might like to know. Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me. Oh, and I have XP

Amber

Posted 6 years ago

Budohorseman
Budohorseman

What is the source of the picture and what type is it (.jpg, .tif etc)?

EDIT: And is it just one of the pictures that it can't copy?

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

couldn't you just rewrite the error message and post on here that would help a lot

Posted 6 years ago

Smashpmk712
Smashpmk712

@Jack, 'Windows encountered a problem when trying to copy this file. What do you want Windows to do?'
I think this is the error amberlynn82 is getting

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

o i thought there might be more to it but ya i guess i wasn't really thinking i only slept like 3 hours last night lol

Posted 6 years ago

amberlynn82

'Windows encountered a problem when trying to copy this file. What do you want Windows to do?'

Yes, this is the error message that I am receiving.
Budo - the file type is a jpg but it will not let me copy anything whatsoever to the disc. No pictures, no files, no anything. The source of the pictures is a memory card. I tried saving them to the desktop and then tried copying them that way but that didnt work either. The files I tried to copy to the disc are just some zip files that I have saved that I tried just for an experiment. Nothing will copy to this disc at all. I have tried other discs as well and get the same message, so I know that its not the disc.

Posted 6 years ago

Budohorseman
Budohorseman

Go into the Control Panel, System, Hardware, Device Manager and see if your CD/DVD ROM is on there (should be near the top) and see if there are any warnings on it (a yellow caution triangle). That will let you know if there is a problem with the driver for your drive.

Posted 6 years ago

amberlynn82

Nope, no triangle. It says it is working properly. I appreciate you trying to help me out.

Posted 6 years ago

Budohorseman
Budohorseman

Is it reading from CDs/DVDs ok? I'm heading out of the office and then dinner with the wife, but if you could post your make and model of your pc (and your drive if it was added on after you got the pc) and I'll check back later on tonight.

Posted 6 years ago

amberlynn82

I never even thought to try that, but yes it is reading CDs perfectly. I have a dell xps m140 laptop. The drive was already installed when I got it. Thank you so much!

Posted 6 years ago

Budohorseman
Budohorseman

Here is the driver list for your laptop. http://support.dell.com/suppor.....#38;impid= I would get the applications first, specifically the Sonic Solutions stuff. If they don't work for you we will need to track down which of the 12 possible drives you have (actually if you go back up and repeat the control panel stuff, just click on the + by your drive and it will give you the model). The apps are the easiest fix so try them first. Now I'm really outta here ;-) I'll check back later on tonight--good luck!!

Posted 6 years ago

amberlynn82

For no reason whatsoever I tried copying to a brand new disc just one more time before I re-installed the drivers and it worked! Why it didnt work before I have no idea, but it still would not copy to the DVD. So I tried installing all of the driver updates and it still wouldnt work. I would like to start copying to DVD because I can fit so much more on there. Do you have any idea why this wont work? Thanks again so much for helping me, sorry I didnt get back sooner. :)

Posted 6 years ago

nburrell11
nburrell11

Maybe try taking ownership of a file. here is a easy way to do it. http://www.howtogeek.com/howto.....-in-vista/

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

Did you use the same make CD's as you have used previously. Some optical drives do not write to all CD makes. On mine I was advised that certain CD's of certain manufacturers don't work.

Posted 6 years ago

Smoose

Just disable any mounted drives on your computer... Solved my problems...

Posted 5 years ago

PCMBLR

Problem Solved !! Apparantly i too faces similar problem and tried to do a lot of research and finally discovered the solution:

1. Check if the disc is DVD. In xp you cannot write on DVD disc withour third party software such as nero even though the drive is DVD Write.
2. Change the CD. Some cd have issues. change it and surely it will work.

All the best.

Regards

Posted 4 years ago

chrischuan

I encountered same problem as amberlynn82. I copied files from DVD onto my E drive to view pics and videos. After that, I am not able to copy any files to external disk whether its a DVD disk or CD disk. Do I need to use Nero? Can I use Microsoft software? Any help is appreciated.

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

chrischuan welcome. Please post your questions in a New Topic.

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!