The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Windows Easy Transfer can't create my user account

(2 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by parisblues
  • Latest reply from ian2
  • Topic Viewed 3456 times

parisblues

I'm trying to transfer my documents and settings from an old computer running Windows XP SP3 (32-bit) to a new computer running Windows 7 Professional (64-bit), using a Belkin Easy Transfer Cable for Windows 7. I am the only User (and the Administrator) on both computers.

I have successfully installed the Easy Transfer software that came packaged with the cable onto the old computer, and have succeeded in getting the two computers to connect via the cable. On the new computer, I am shown a "Choose What to Transfer" window that lists both the User account in my name and the Administrator account, plus a "Shared" account (which is empty). By default, all three are selected. I have tried all possible combinations (all three accounts; only the two accounts that contain files; each of those two accounts alone....), and each time I click on the Transfer button, I get a message saying: "Windows Easy Transfer can't create your user account on this computer." No troubleshooting suggestions are offered. What the heck do I do now?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Posted 4 years ago

ian2
ian2

You could take a look At This

Just a guess:
If your transferring your user account and settings ,if you have the same name on the W7 computer ,try renaming
the xp username first .

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!