The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 8

Windows DVD Maker on Windows 8?

(3 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by cowgod
  • Latest reply from warlock
  • Topic Viewed 6614 times

cowgod

I already posted this question on SuperUser, but I am dying to know the answer, so I'm hitting up you guys here too. If it's possible to use Windows DVD Maker on Windows 8, can How-To Geek PLEASE write an article on it?

Something I really miss in Windows 8 is the Windows DVD Maker.

I tried to get it running on Windows 8 by copying the DVD Maker directory from Windows 7 over to Windows 8. When I run it, I get the error "MPEG-2 encoder is missing."

I had hoped that this could be resolved by installing the Media Center add-on for Windows 8, but that did not have any effect.

Several forum posts have suggested installing a codec pack such as the K-Lite codec pack, but I have always had bad experiences with those. I did, however, try to install the Shark007 codec pack, but that didn't work either.

I know there are other DVD making programs out there, some are even free, but the few I have tried do not compare to Windows DVD Maker's simplicity and beauty. Is there any way to make it work on Windows 8?

Posted 1 year ago

Ricyteach

I second this request. I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 8. The DVD Maker program files are in my windows.old folder. I get the same "MPEG-2 encoder is missing" error when I try to run it.

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

http://www.eightforums.com/gen.....maker.html There is a suggestion to try from Lonewolf on this forum link. Didn't try it myself no W8 here yet.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.