The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

Windows Detected Hard Disk Failure

(3 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by bradsgirl
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 850 times

bradsgirl

I have received a message that Windows detected a hard disk failure and was instructed to backup files, and to repair or replace my hard disk. I've backed up my files, but how do I get my laptop, Gateway with Vista, to reformat to factory defaults?

Posted 1 year ago

vistual
vistual

do a google search for : Gateway [your model] recovery manager, or post the make and model here so you can be instructed on how to boot into the recovery manager. (that is, if you have a recovery partition) if you have an install disc that came w/ the laptop when you purchased it, insert it into the drive > reboot. soon as you see the gateway logo / splashscreen start tapping F8 key (i think) to get boot options and select boot from the disk drive option.

although i would be a little skeptical to proceed and install if i ever got an error of that sort. what if the drive is failing?
there might be a tool that you can run to test it but youd have to wait to see if thats a step others might think would be a good idea. if so they'll post a link to something that might help.

edit:
few listed right here ....
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001091.htm

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Take an image of your C partition and your recovery partition. Then you can dump those images on your new disk. See here how to image for free - it is the same for Vista as it is for Win7.

For the restore step, you will need the WinPE recovery disc. Download the .iso from my Skydrive and burn that to a CD (e.g. with ImgBurn). That will save you a few hours making a WinPE CD yourself. This is the Skydrive link. Right click on it and Download - takes appr. 8 minutes.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!