The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

Windows Defender with Windows 7

(6 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by chmcgee
  • Latest reply from LH
  • Topic Viewed 2596 times

chmcgee

I read through the forum, but didn't see anything like the problem I'm having. I'm running Windows 7 64bit, everything was working fine for days, then I downloaded windows tweak and disabled the task manager. Right after that I rebooted the computer and a message displayed at start up saying "Service has stopped" (for defender), after waiting a minute defender starts on it's own but I have to click on the X to get rid of the Defender screen. Every time I turn on the computer this happens. I went back into Windows Tweak to enable the task manage again but I still get this message at startup. I've tried to disable Defender by unchecking "Real time protection" box and unchecking the "use this program" box but I get a different screen saying "Defender has been turned off, if you are using another program that checks for harmful or unwanted software, use the Action Center to check that programs's status" and this pops up at every startup also. I just got Qwest high speed internet which gives you Norton as protection which I had about a week before I did the window's tweak (Disable the task manage). I went into the task manager and it shows Norton as running fine. I tried system restore but that didn't fix it either. I really think windows tweak created this problem cause it happed right after I disabled the task manager but just incase I went into Nortons to see if I could tell Nortons to let Defender run with along with it but did not see such a option, oh-yea I even turned Nortons off but that didn't help either. I'd like both to run but if not how do I ger rid of Defender and those messages I get at startup? I've also tried the command prompt "winmgmt/salvagerepository but same results. I hope someone has the answer............I'll check back tomorrow.
thanks,
chmcgee

Posted 4 years ago

baldeguy56
baldeguy56

chmcgee, Hi and welcome to HTG forum. You cannot uninstall Win Defender in Win7 or Vista, as it is integrated into those operating systems, unlike XP where you can uninstall Win Defender. All those alerts, I believe, could be coming from Security Center located in the Control Panel, which you can change the way Security Center alerts you. But, that will not solve your initial problem, only rid you of the prompt annoyance.Being not familiar Norton products,if it is a Suite and includes anti-spyware functionality, I would reason that Norton would turn off Win Defender.I use Microsoft Security Essentials, which turns off Win Defender, because it has its' own anti-spyware.
If you are sure when you installed Norton, that, Windows Defender was running alonside with Norton, may I suggest turning Windows Defender on by going to the control Panel-Administrative Tools-Services where you can double click on windows defender and stop and restart the service, and make sure it's set to Automatic or Automatic/Delayed Start. Reboot and see if this resolves your issue.
Personally, I would not use any kind of 3rd party program to tweak Windows, especially in Win7 and Vista.I used a few well known tweakers in XP and had nothing but problems. See if you can go into the program and reverse what you tweaked or maybe it might have a "Set back to defaults" setting you can use.Then, uninstall it...Garry

Posted 4 years ago

chmcgee

Thanks Gary, I tried all of your suggestions but had no luck. Windows Tweak does have a default button but that didn't solve the problem either. I basically downloaded Tweak just to get rid of the shortcut arrows on the desktop icons...........man, am I sorry I went any further with it...........anymore ideas?

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

chmcgee,

Never run more than (1) Active AV on a system at a time.

Suggest you uninstall Norton and ONLY run Microsoft Security Essentials as active AV.

Microsoft Security Essentials takes the place of Windows Defender.

You will end with a Clean Install shortly if you keep trying to run more than (1) Active AV at a time and it serves NO purpose attempting to do so.

Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 4 years ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

Hi chmcgee

Use this to get rid of your shortcut arrows next time...safer for idle curious hands! :)

http://www.softpedia.com/get/D.....over.shtml

Tony

Edit: OOPs!...thought it was Vista! Don't know if it works in 7

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

Or,
http://www.howtogeek.com/forum.....post-89056

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!