How-To Geek Forums / Windows 8

(Solved) - Windows compaterbility tool.

(6 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by StokesleyLad
  • Latest reply from Fhirkin9
  • Topic Viewed 752 times

StokesleyLad
StokesleyLad

Hi, If my memory serves me correctly I believe Microsoft made available a small tool which could be downloaded and used to scan your computer to check-out compatibility of both Hardware & Software prior to purchasing/installing Windows 7.
Is any similar tool being made available to do the same for Windows 8??
Thank you.

Posted 2 years ago

Santo
Santo

Yes, Microsoft did release "Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant" which helped users to check the hardware and software compatibility. But now I don't find the download link for it. However you may have a look at the MSDN Blog and the MS Compatibility Center.

Posted 2 years ago

StokesleyLad
StokesleyLad

Thanks for that Santo, However it would appear that the 'tool' in question in an integral part of the W8 Preview edition and one can only download it all as an ISO file or something which then has to be converted to DVD etc.
Microsoft appear to want you to jump over hurdles to find basic but essential information; hardly a good sales ploy.
Regards.

Posted 2 years ago

Fhirkin9
Fhirkin9

Without a doubt a more visible tool will be available by the release date! They cannot be that backwards!

Posted 2 years ago

StokesleyLad
StokesleyLad

Hi Fhirkin9, It looks like it's here. I came across this earlier today which allowed me to download a small 5Mg program which scanned and reported on my system. I'm pleased to say it only found 3 items that would not run and all the rest were fine.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Edit: sorry direct download links can not be posted here. Only web pages. --GMod

Posted 2 years ago

Fhirkin9
Fhirkin9

Also found this statement on the Win8 Release Preview official site "The Windows 8 Release Preview Setup program will scan your PC to determine what's compatible and provide a report that you can save or print."

Win8 Rel Prev FAQ page

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.