How-To Geek Forums / Windows 8

Windows Blue Update Leaks Out, Screenshots Posted

(38 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by gedstar
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 1097 times

Eddiebug1
Eddiebug1

looks like W7 is the best windows os to date.

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

Pretty much the consensus here Eddie.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

+1, I would say so too. And wait, it is not over yet. It is going to get worse. The desktop is going to disappear completely over time.

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

@whs, Your are usually right. I hope not this time:(

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Windows 9 is not slated to get Desktop from rumor articles read today.

LINUX appears to be operating system for big machines in the future.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

I hope not too. But take a closer look at Blue. They are pulling more stuff away from the desktop into the playmobile UI. They count on the millions of people that don't know how to operate a PC anyhow. For them a kindergarden level UI is probably welcome.

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

What are businesses going to use, all laptops?
Edit: also for heavy gamers. What about them?

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Laptops are slated for "The Can" also !!

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

I personally can't see this happening now? Businesses are not about to re-write programs.

To me, I like to overlap windows when I'd doing things and rarely, other than games, use Full Screen. Blue it seems will allow 2 Metro apps to be visible at the same time. This is NO WHERE NEAR the same thing. Until Metro will all as many apps open and visible on the Windows Start Screen I can't see the desktop going away.

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Every day I read that more and more commercial users go to open source. Just last week the Britsh goverment ordered their agencies to use nothing but open source in the future. Today I read the same about the city of Berlin. The city of Munich has converted already. So there are options and that is good. If only these Linux guys would get a bit better organized.

But now the Chinese goverment has decided to team up with Ubuntu and develop a universal desktop OS. And the plan is that all Chinese PC manufacturers must offer it. And since most PCs are being produced there, that will be interesting to watch.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

I agree with WHS.

Think MS is "cooking it's own goose" by not being flexible with change and customer needs.

Posted 1 year ago

jmeeks49
jmeeks49

ok whs, Rick, Irv,

Yeah i am still a Windows 8 hater and let me tell you why and i will break it down.

1. For most folks Windows 8 would be ok but not for the disability community why is because of the touch interface that some people can't operate because of possible bad mobility functions with hands or fingers.

2. in order for someone to operate Windows 8 they would have to find a third party application to do it or extra hardware.

3. Although MS has a ease of access in all of the versions of windows some that they have in there are ok and some are not and some people will still have depend on a third party application to navigate through all of the menus. i just wish that MS would incorporate more Assisitive Technology to peel to those who need it and not have to make them to spend more money than needed to on software or hardware that should be available to that consumer base to start with.

i thought about writing a email to MS but i don't know who i would write to and besides it would probably fall on deaf ears. if you have a contact i will be more than happy to try.

soapbox off LOL LOL LOL

John

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

Posted without comment, BUT it is basically 'what I said', wait, that is a comment, isn't it?

http://www.zdnet.com/five-reas.....s_cid=e539

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Right Irv, I saw that too. Ed Bott is one of the best analysts on the web. Let's hope he is right. Sounds logical what he says.

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

Yeah, good respected guy. Had lunch with him many years ago when he wanted writers for articles on OS/2.

Did you GET the e-mail from me WHS?

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Nope, no email from you. I just checked.

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

I used the email address I was sent? It didn't bounce? It was sent to w*********s@***.com where the *'s represent a letter? Ask a moderator for my e-mail address then please?

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

OK, I have asked LH to send me your email.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.