• Topic Viewed 1097 times

gedstar
gedstar

Not sure if this has been posted

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/.....987,00.asp

Posted 1 year ago

arthur30
arthur30

not much change from the original windows 8 design but overall windows 8 has some learning curve rest all is good I hope it is more secure than before the biggest problem with windows os is internet explorer

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

Might want to look at this too, http://www.zdnet.com/no-window.....s_cid=e539, it seems from that pundits are thinking the W8 Desktop is going away... hope not!

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Irv, I just read that same article. It is worrying. We better get our Linux skills beefed up.

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

WHS, well, if there is any other indication that this might be the way it will be, just look at some recent programs you have installed? We get some games from Gamehouse, and ALL those they make now and state W8 as supported NOW will place an icon on the Windows Start Screen. Even if you had turned OFF the option to put an icon on your desktop. Older programs, specifically ones that come from 'individuals' don't always do that. Note in the Blue release the ability to size Metro icons? Could it be true? I don't think so, what 'advantage' would it really be?

Also, can you send me your e-mail address? Rick P. and I were in a computer SSD related discussion and we wanted to include you but neither of us has your e-mail address. Asked the moderator's for that and have not gotten it from then yet either.

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

jmeeks49
jmeeks49

Although as for now i am running 7 and when the time comes for M$ to do a force upgrade when they stop providing updates i am with WHS i am seriously thinking about switching to Linux. I will not let any software company tell me what i can or can't do with my own systems just because they want to run a gambit on forcing a OS down our throats. it's one thing to "buy" a OS but forcing us to buy it is another thing. i will balk and go the other way before that will happen. As i have heard from multiple sources MS is hoping that windows 8 will keep them a float i have news for them they are sinking big time.

John

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

John, unfortunately it isn't the OS, as they say "it is the apps stupid"... no offense meant but it is WHAT I want to do that drives me, the OS is the vehicle that provides the mechanism to use the app.

That said, if all you use your computer for is e-mail, some letter writing, surfing the web, picture/video editing, or an occasional spreadsheet, the choice of OS and apps is wide open.

Companies that wrote internal applications, not much of choice without a lot of planning and programming. A reason some versions of Windows was slow to be adopted.

Not sticking up for MS or anyone else. Just stating facts that some might have little choice here. Want to play some games, go to GAMEHOUSE.COM and you'll see almost every game they sell is available for the PC with a few for the Mac, and PC means Windows, and some are NOT W8 compatible. Unix derivatives, nada...

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

I agree with whs.

If Windows Desktop goes away, then it's LINUX Time.

Probably a Generational Thing and the young folks will Love Windows 9, etc. with no desktop.

Posted 1 year ago

jmeeks49
jmeeks49

Irv,

i know i am just sick of bowing down to MS the only reason that i am running 7 is the ease of everything that i need in my situation for my disability. yeah, i fully admit i am a win 8 hater and will be until they do something unique with it like improving metro as far as games go i don't play that many and i wouldn't care about keeping them.

John

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

IRV, No problem. One of the mods can send you and Rick my email address. I will flag this post so that they see it.

edit: Email address sent. -- GmodX

Posted 1 year ago

jmeeks49
jmeeks49

stand in line Rick LOL LOL

John

Posted 1 year ago

jmeeks49
jmeeks49

Whs,

when the time comes to switch to Linux i may be calling ya, i have Mint loaded in vmplayer been fooling with it and i like it..

John

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

WHS, I've already gotten e-mail from a Moderator that they'll contact you for permission.

John, W8 is probably selling well as there are people buying the touch-screen products. That doesn't mean general acceptance either. Don't forget, Vista and W7 had a very slow start due to resistance from BIG customers. Think of a bank or and fortune 500 company and how many desktops they have compared to individual users. There are problem more computers in your local hospital than members here... and that is where the real 'headcount' of sales is, no individuals. Some large companies might have more machines that some cities do for everyone that lives there.

I think MS was comparing W8 vs. W7 initial sales? They are higher, but again, probably due to both the RT and its imitators and touch-screen systems that seemed to be in demand. For W7 there really wasn't any H/W 'pull' for it, only people that needed new computers.

Matters not, it will be what it will be. It is out of your (and mine) control.

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

jmeeks49
jmeeks49

then Irv,

care for some Linux? LOL LOL LOL

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

John, did you look at my little Mint tutorials. Maybe you find something that interests you. Just added one a few hours ago. You find them here.

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

WHS, it seems it is up to you to send me and Rick e-mail from the e-mail a moderator has sent me... wish we had PRIVATE messages here, sigh...

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

loudermp

I am thinking of switching to Linux also for my next software upgrade and would switch now if Linux supported gaming better or should I say if the gaming industry supported Linux, I currently use 7 but I am starting to learn Linux but by dual booting.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Have a look here. It may give you some ideas. http://www.pcworld.com/article.....ience.html

Posted 1 year ago

jmeeks49
jmeeks49

thanks wolfgang,

i love your videos!!

John

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

John, I am glad. I will add more as I come across Mint Mate topics that are worth discussing. The Skydrive PDF will then be updated.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.