How-To Geek Forums / Windows 8

Windows 8's usage uptake falls further behind Vista's

(23 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by raphoenix
  • Latest reply from raphoenix
  • Topic Viewed 706 times

raphoenix
raphoenix

Difference between the two operating systems' early adoption stats widens in January

Full Story:
http://www.computerworld.com/s.....2013-02-04

Posted 1 year ago

Fhirkin9
Fhirkin9

There were not as many open source (or as many consumer-friendly open source) OS'es back then diluting market share. In this environment, you cannot compare Vista uptake to Win8's uptake, in my opinion. In the chrome and linux world, I would say Win8 numbers are actually decent. But I may be biased as I enjoy Win8, aside from some quirks which every new Win version has to suffer at first.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Windows 8 is certainly not a barnstormer. But I would be careful with the nums. It is still too early to tell. The acid test will be whether the Fortune 500 will move to Windows 8. And that will be most likely moves from XP. Windows 7 customers may not want the extra expense for relatively little gain.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

The Fortune 500 mostly run Win Office programs PLUS their own canned applications such as data bases.

If they can port such programs to hand held tablets which interact with a server, then such tasks as taking inventory, stock trading, etc.. may be viable for Windows 8.

I don't think they care much to find "the nearest Starbucks coffee shop" and other such silly apps that may be in the store.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

The VMware View Client may be an interesting application for those organizations that use Android tablets.

I wanted to try it, but you have to be a company to get the free trial version for the host. The Android part is free.

Posted 1 year ago

presence1960
presence1960

I never worry about this stuff. I use what OS I want to use because it is for me not for a popularity contest or to be part of the in crowd. That being said there are some troubling trends in the numbers Rick linked to, at least if you are Microsoft they are troubling. I will continue to use Windows 8 Pro along with my beloved Linux. I don't care what anyone thinks :)

BTW good link Rick.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Most of us use several operating systems. Question is with which one do you feel most comfortable. For me it is Windows 7 right now - although I also use Vista, Windows 8, Zorin, Ubuntu, Fedora and a few other distros off and on.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

I find myself using Windows 7 because I like to run as Administrator without all the "Run As" clicking.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

More Opinion.

New report shows Windows 8 sales remain sluggish; no significant growth in sight

http://65.221.110.110/windows/.....2013-02-04

Posted 1 year ago

presence1960
presence1960

Yep, it does not seem to bode well for MS and 8. I think that is beyond "more opinion" and settling in as fact because sales #s do not lie. It is funny though, the thing a lot of people hate, I love. I really like the screen windows 8 boots to. I don't use the tiles at all, but rather hit the windows key and type what I want to run. Way better than scrolling through menus or having shortcuts littering my desktop. It is very similar to the Dash in Unity Bar in Linux.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

I'm too lazy, I'd rather just run as ROOT. (LOL) :) :)

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

What is interesting is that Windows 8 sales are sluggish despite Windows 8 being very solid and riddled with very few problems. That was different with Vista in the beginning - especially in the driver arena. Shows again that people hate drastic changes. I bet if they put that start manu back on the desktop, it will take off. And I know that there are tweaks for that. But Mr. Joe does not want to deal with that.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

If Joe/Jane Sixpack can't download and install Free Classic Shell Start Button, they need not be on a computer. :)

http://sourceforge.net/projects/classicshell/

Posted 1 year ago

presence1960
presence1960

Lol Rick!!! Try Sabayon then. No need to bypass security measures to run as root, unlike Ubuntu, Mint, etc.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Ya ! (LOL) (LOL) :) :)

Posted 1 year ago

presence1960
presence1960

I never liked the root account being locked in Ubuntu. If someone wants to run as root, let them. If they don't know what they are doing they will soon find out. No better way to learn than from your own mistakes.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

This will fix all the problems if the system should messed up.

Just lay on another Clean Image. :)

http://lifehacker.com/5891933/.....-for-linux

Posted 1 year ago

presence1960
presence1960

I swear by Clonezilla, been using it for a long time. Works on Windows partitions too. Since everyone on here recommends Macrium Reflect I tried that out and it worked very well. I stay away from the built in windows image function.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Well you can get deep into WIMs, ImageX, deployment and such but most folks on the forums don't research the MS Tools. Is better to just do it own your own and not try to advise OPs as most don't have a clue. The ready made programs are so much easier to understand. :) :)

Much good info on MS TechNet but one has to understand it and buy some books.

Posted 1 year ago

presence1960
presence1960

I hear you. between my full time job, my home computer business and raising my 10 year old daughter who I have had custody of since she was a month old I have been slowly checking out some of the links you have provided. Rome wasn't built in a day I always say. Having used Linux as my main OS for a while, but now using Windows 1/2 the time I want to sharpen my windows knowledge. That is why I joined this forum.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!