How-To Geek Forums / Windows 8

Windows 8 uptake remains listless after public launch

(42 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by raphoenix
  • Latest reply from Fhirkin9
  • Topic Viewed 1996 times

SuperTweaker
SuperTweaker

It's catastrohic on M$ for not allowing the Start Menu/All Programs to be an option in the Control Panel. I predict this OS will go belly-up for Desktop and Laptop users around the world. The youngest generation may like it but hey, they are on iPhones and Smart Phones all day texting their brains out! Most could care less about using a PC for work and gaming. But those kids between 12 and 22 who do enjoy gaming will march those W8 computers back to the store for a refund then buy a W7 computer online - the one's remaining. Best best for any gamer is buy a package deal online and build their own PC and be sure to order a W7 Home Premium DVD (and guard it like gold).

Yep. A really dumb idea by M$ that will get swept under the rug like Windows ME did in 1999. phuuu on you M$.

Posted 1 year ago

oldgeezer

Just tried the M$ site as it says that the download is only £24.99, but it started going through the process as if it was going to try upgrading my system immediately. Has anyone gone further with it & does it let you download an iso or whatever for later installation?

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

BUMP

IMPORTANT QUESTION !!!!

I need answer also just as <oldgeezer> does.

Where are the Members who are now posting all over the forum getting their Win8 from ????

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

About time we started closing some threads

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

I got it via REGISTRATION for an UPGRADE... with a link to MS. Both the $15 and $40 USD offer for 2 systems I registered. No matter which you use, you get to see a purchase screen for $40, and on the real price screen you get to enter the PROMO code from the e-mail. If it is a registered system purchased before June 1st this year, that code drops $25 USD off the price. You can then d/l an ISO, pay $15 USD more to get a DVD, or burn it to a Flash drive.

Then all you need do is run SETUP from the created DVD and off you go.

This is for a W7 Upgrade.

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

gedstar
gedstar

Hi oldgeezer and raphoenix

I was able to download it using the windows upgrade assistant from here
http://windows.microsoft.com/e.....-windows-8
Once it's downloaded you can choose if you want to continue with the upgrade or install later, I selected install later and was able to save the ISO to my hard drive. Then I use this
http://www.microsoftstore.com/.....vd_dwnTool
to install the ISO onto a USB key.
Can know install from USB key, only takes about 15 minutes for the installation.

It's just a pity I got 2 BSOD's in 2 days after installation, so went back to Windows 7 until a SP1 comes out for Win 8

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

THANKS ALL !!!!

Was finally able to get the Win8 downloaded and saved as an ISO. :) :)

One note of caution !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Update files download to:

C:\Users\Your User Account\AppData\Local\Temp\xyzxz123-1b23-789e-1234-778cc8ea566c\WebSetupExpanded\

Do NOT Clean that Temp Folder Out by mistake using Ccleaner or such.

Best move the total Directory to a Safe Place if you want to make more ISOs.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

There is also a C:\ESD\Windows\Sources folder.

As I said above, until I can fiddle with the system, not sure how this is going to work on a Builder Machine and do a Clean Install.

Rick P.

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

Where it goes to is a FUNCTION of the settings in your BROWSER. I've changed my Browsers to always place files into my K:\InetDL folder. What you have Rick is the DEFAULT location which is in the TEMP folder.

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Yeah, that makes good sense instead of specifying things manually as there are so many updates happening now. :)

Not sure if the Win8 C:\ESD is included in the ISO or not so therefore don't know what to do with the ESD Folder.

I need to Factory Restore a Set of SSDs and then do a Real Clean Install but still not sure how the Win8 Update works.

Don't want to mess up a set of $200 Buck SSDs with a $15 dollar in-place Upgrade for sure.

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

@Rick, I have NOT given much thought about 'restoring' the W8 system other than my normal Ghost solution (which HAS a W8 problems that 'annoys' me, you can NOT license it, says it can't be used, what bothers me more, the Upgrade Adv. didn't know this would be a problem, but for W7 it knew it would, and it appears Norton is unaware of this too?).

Got to look around to see if RECOVERY/RESCUE disks can be made, but some is 'buried' within W8 where you can go back to a clean system. Not sure if you can do a clean install from the upgrade media though? Something I have to figure out soon to be safe. I'd hate to have to put on W7 and then do the Upgrade.

Never got asked for a license number? Might be inside the image for upgrade already or it used the same as the old W7?

Still holding out my W7 until Norton fixes Ghost but the problem I had on the New Dell was cleared by doing a System Restore to the Install state. Weather and all Live Tiles now work correctly. Have to put things back slowly to see which update broke it. Suspect a Dell file... I've done the MS Windows Update and the chipset update that I had fail before went on. That was a file I got from Dell the last time and installed before doing the Windows Update... Dell had 7 drivers to be replaced.

Oh, speaking of System Restore, since I had Ghost working on W7 and didn't want extra writes to my SSD C: drive I disabled System Restore on W7. My SSD on the system is 128GB's in size and about 50GB's were in use. Well after the Upgrade it seems W8 always enables System Restore, which I guess was good as I could do the Restore and go back to the install state. It was less than 3GB's in size. Now I'm not sure I want to keep it active? At least for now as I'm not confident Ghost will allow me to recover anything, if one part is broken, who knows what else might fail?

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@Irv,

Macrium made with AIK will do about what Ghost can do.

Am a bit annoyed with Asus for not providing updated MB drivers and thus having to search Intel all the time.

No one yet has posted if Windows 8 Upgrade will Clean Install From Scratch ????

I guess I'll have to be the "Goat" and fix it if it won't.

Not sure if SSD TRIM is passing through to SSD Raid 0 Arrays as bench marks are coming down.

Is a "pain" to have to Factory Reset SSDs about every three months.

A lot of work I can see coming.

I thought computing was suppose to be getting simpler - Man was I Wrong !!!!

Just ain't up to all the work needed to be done today.

Rick P.

Posted 1 year ago

oldgeezer

There's a useful post here by Ed Bott which answers some of the questions above, including mine:

Ed Bott on ZDNet

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@oldgeezer,

The article is CONTRADICTORY as it implies one can Clean Install Win8 however cannot Dual Boot a machine.

If one is running multiple instances of Windows 7 on the Same Machine, then one can use the Bios and Dual Boot.

Builders are not going to destroy all the Windows systems on ONE Machine just use Windows 8 on it.

I started to reference that article yesterday but found too much contradiction with no emphatic answers.

Rick P.

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

Not sure about contradictory? I'll assume the clean install is over the 'legal' W7 which is read by the install before the process starts. Keeping the old W7 and doing a NEW install to a clean partition IS NOT supported. The bottom line, you can't keep the old W7 around.

=================
Dual boot options

I just bought a Windows 7 machine and purchased the $14.95 Windows 8 upgrade. Can I keep my Windows 7 running and install Windows 8 on a second partition or in a virtual machine. The "Upgrade Assistant" looks for an existing OS so I could not figure out a way to do that easy.

Technically, no, that is a violation of the license agreement. The upgrade replaces the old license completely. The terms are written in very clear language:

The software covered by this agreement is an upgrade to your existing operating system software, so the upgrade replaces the original software that you are upgrading. You do not retain any rights to the original software after you have upgraded and you may not continue to use it or transfer it in any way.
==============

Seems CLEAR to me.... and the only mention of CLEAN was here (and in a comment that wasn't to 'clear')

==================
How do I get to 64 bit from 32 bit Windows?

There is no way to upgrade from a 32-bit copy of Windows to 64-bit, or vice versa. You must backup your data, create bootable media, and do a clean install. After you’re done, you’ll need to reinstall your programs and restore your data.
==================

So I'd say there is no way to do a CLEAN install? I never saw an option to FORMAT during the upgrade, but I didn't boot the upgrade DVD I made either?

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@Irv,

Read again the article.

"Can I burn the download file to a DVD or a USB flash drive so I can use it as a bootable disk for formatting my PC in future and also guide me on how the serial key works in this case.

Yes. Choose the Install by creating media option (shown in the screen above). above Here’s what your options look like:"

=====================================

That has to be contradictory. :(

If true I can Clean Install on one Array and Bios Dual Boot Win7 on another Array on the same machine with Genuine License and Payment for Both O/Ses.

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

Hmm, Rick? Not sure?

Might have answered only the first part, "Can I burn the download file to a DVD or a USB flash drive", or took the last part to be can I format a disk with it? Nothing said 're-install' W8 clean, other than the dangling " also guide me on how the serial key works in this case." which he did not answer.

Ed's a nice guy, had dinner with him probably almost 20 years ago, ask him <VBG>.

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@Irv,

Ed's giving us a "hint" me think?

I know I'm going to be "The Goat" on this issue just cause I got the Big Machines which can do. <VBG>

I'll get busy tomorrow and see what happens.

Rick P.

Posted 1 year ago

oldgeezer

Also, wait for 'part 2' where he says he'll go through upgrade paths and activation issues.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

READ ALL the Talkback Comments (5 Pages).
http://www.zdnet.com/the-ultim.....000006815/

This is suppose to work to fix the Activation Process.

set
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Setup/OOBE/MediaBootInstall to 0
Run slmgr /rearm
Reboot
Run activation again

****Also in the Comments, Ed Bott says he's still testing the Upgrade because of all the problems evidently.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!