• Started 1 year ago by raphoenix
  • Latest reply from ispalten
  • Topic Viewed 608 times

raphoenix

FULL STORY
http://www.computerworld.com/s.....2012-12-03

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark

Maybe that's Microsofts aim now, to do a experimental kernal that they can eventually get working (after some SP's) and advance on what they have learned from that with (possibly) Windows 9.

Posted 1 year ago

Zerri

from what i took from that article is that profit gains for Microsoft were sub par. it only talks about profits and percentages of pc's with that OS which only means its not all hyped up and not everybody is switching to it, not necessarily that its a bad OS. It shows nothing for performance or how good windows 8 actually is.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix

8 of 10 customers choose Windows 7, says PC builder

FULL STORY:
http://www.computerworld.com/s.....2012-12-07

Posted without comment.

Rick P.

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky

I think W7 will be around as long as XP; given the learning curve for any new OS it doesn't surprise me uptake is slow. MS's model on an OS's 'shelf-life' is far too short. W7 is going to be hard for them to shake off because it's so well-rounded and stable.

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten

To some extent I agree with Zerri. The article is about upgrading. Not the OS itself.

As I recall, Vista was a h/w upgrade. You really couldn't buy it without getting a new computer. That alone would make it a 'low' initial upgrade. W7 had a few things going for it. An Upgrade was available, and generally speaking, Vista was a 'problem'. Slow it seemed and it had problems.

W7 on the other hand is sort of stable and faster than Vista. Yes,W8 upgrades are available but it is basically a paradigm change in many ways. Seemingly designed for a phone or tablet and ported back to PC's. Initially it was thought a TOUCH screen was going to be required, no, it isn't, but to do some things more mouse movement and clicks ARE required. Either that or multi-fingered keyboard combinations. Add to that this, "The difference may have little to do with the two operating systems and all to do with economics and choice: " which the article states.

As for the builder reference, hard to tell. Boutique builders may do special things a Dell or HP would not do? Over-clocking for instance. Special h/w that might have problems with drivers for W8?

Any time there is an interface or programming change, user are wary. However, businesses are worse. They don't like to mix desktops in an organization. Training and service becomes an issue. Not to mention possible manual re-writes due to different screens and interfaces and possible programming changes.

Don't forget the old adage that is used for business, don't install until the first SP is out!

I've got W7 on ONE computer. Holding off 2 more. Why? Problems... wife was the one getting it. Almost 50% of her games purchased from Gamehouse WILL NOT RUN! Other problem is Norton Ghost 15 fails, first entering the license, and supposedly with other problems that might effect the ability to really backup a drive. Norton is working on it, but it is not clear if there will be an upgrade, new version (which I'd have to buy), or switch to Norton's SSR. Luckily my wife still has her OLD XP machine on the LAN working, so I'm still alive, but if these are not fixed soon that W8 machine will become a door stop and something we'd use for testing new s/w.

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.