The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 8

Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant

(8 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by Hermitt
  • Latest reply from afuhnk
  • Topic Viewed 2841 times

Hermitt

Find out if your PC is compatible with Windows 8.
Get the windows 8 upgrade Assistant....
http://windows.microsoft.com/e.....-windows-8

Jim

Posted 2 years ago

clibay

When I run the Assistant.after a short time I get "Internet error.Error running compatibility check.Check logs for details".What's all this about?Does it mean I am not compatible for W8?

Clibay

Posted 2 years ago

ispalten

The Assistant is NOT accurate, at least not in my situation. It never flagged Norton Ghost as a problem.

It showed this :

===============

Install an app to play DVDs
You may need to install an app to play DVDs in Windows 8.
More info

Sidebar gadgets aren't supported in Windows 8
You won’t be able to use the sidebar gadgets that are installed on your PC in Windows 8.
More info

Secure Boot isn't compatible with your PC
Your PC's firmware doesn't support Secure Boot so you won't be able to use it in Windows 8.
More info

Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller Driver
Intel Corporation, Version 1.0.3.214
Not compatible

Microsoft Office Starter 2010 - English
Microsoft Corporation, Version 14.0.4763.1000
Not compatible
====

Well, Office 'seems' to work. So does the USB 3.0 from what I can tell? Dell just released a BIOS that will support Secure Boot but with NO instructions, not sure I should enable it (and probably don't want too right now).

Other stuff to look at :

===============

ATI Catalyst Control Center
Reinstall it in Windows 8

Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless for Bluetooth(R) 3.0 + High Speed
Intel Corporation, Version 15.0.0.0059

iTunes
Apple Inc., Version 10.7.0.21
Remove authorized PCs

Pinnacle Studio 12
Pinnacle Systems, Version 12.1.3.6605
==============

Have not tried Pinnacle or iTunes yet. Bluetooth drivers appear OK without a re-install, but Dell also says it has one to load?

ATI, well Catalyst Control Center asks if it is OK to run with errors. Loading package from ATI or DELL gives the same results?

The Intel 7 C216 Chipset SATA drivers FAIL to install in Windows Update. Dell had a new file for this, installs but WU still fails? Disks appear to be working just fine?

Under compatible,

Norton Ghost
Symantec Corporation

but it isn't. Will not handle the license, says it is INVALID, many people have this problem....

Don't go by everything it claims... bothers me so much I'm holding up upgrading more systems here until I can confirm the first is working fully.

Irv S.

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse

The only 2 it showed non compat for me, was, MSE, and Macrium Reflect.

Posted 2 years ago

afuhnk

Yeah MSE has to be removed since it's all part of Windows Defender in Windows 8.
My ASUS Mobo needs bluetooth drivers. Before doing the upgrade I was "forced" to uninstall the BT Suite. Windows 8 has it's own set of drivers for Bluetooth which were installed during upgrade / clean install and BT works great!
Some apps may just need an update.

A side note on Windows Defender under Windows 8, there's no contextual menu to scan a file/folder. You have to open up defender and choose "Custom Scan" then pick folder/file. It's tedious.

Posted 2 years ago

clibay

No one seems to be replying to my specific queery?

Clibay

Posted 2 years ago

warlock

http://windows.microsoft.com/e.....-windows-8 Have a read through the whole link here.

Posted 2 years ago

afuhnk

When I run the Assistant.after a short time I get "Internet error.Error running compatibility check.Check logs for details".

Have you looked at the logs?

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.