The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 8

(Solved) - Windows 8 Update vs. Clean Instal. - USER FOLDER

(10 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by afuhnk
  • Latest reply from afuhnk
  • Topic Viewed 3020 times

afuhnk

I'm a big fan of clean instals. However, I want to try the Upgrade before doing a clean instal.
I also "move" my user folders to a different drive, disable pagefiles, hibernation etc (because I use ssd and have tons of memory etc).

Has anyone upgraded (to Release Preview) with their user's folder in a different drive?
Does the upgrade messes up these folders and creates new ones in the default folder or does it remembers my settings and uses the non-default location I switched them to?

Thanks.

Posted 2 years ago

frasergr

I also have my User profile located on another drive and am wondering how the upgrade will effect this (if at all). I'm hoping we can get an answer before Friday but either way I'll be doing it and report back.

Posted 2 years ago

afuhnk

About to upgrade my work pc to 8 Enterprise - will move a folder to a different location before to try.
Will update later today.

Posted 2 years ago

afuhnk

Confirmed working.
Settings same as prior to upgrade.

Posted 2 years ago

afuhnk

*Can't activate yet, though. So some settings and features are disabled until official lunch date/time.

Posted 2 years ago

Fhirkin9

I wonder if that is 12:01 am Eastern Time Friday?

Posted 2 years ago

Fhirkin9

Can I just copy my user folder over to a diff drive? Or is it more complex, like disabling page files as was mentioned. I plan to clean install tonight or tomorrow when the DVD is delivered....

Posted 2 years ago

afuhnk

It was at 12:01 eastern time.
Bought the 40$ for my home pc and the 15$ for my laptop.
I did an upgrade (worked perfectly fine) on my home pc at 12:05 and yesterday ended up doing a clean install - disabling hibernation and page file (well.. setting it to bare minimum - 800mb to 1000mb). I'm leaving Search + indexing on for now.

The whole point of using different folders (in my mind, anyway) for your user's files is to avoid data loss in case the drive goes bad or when you want to reinstall. So changing the default location to a different folder within the same partition (or different partition on the same drive) where the OS is is actually pointless. All my users' folders files are on a different drive.
Once in Windows 8 I simply changed the location of the default folders to where they always are. Same procedure as Win7 and Vista. (Right click - Properties - Location - Change).

Posted 2 years ago

frasergr

I haven't upgraded yet (I will be shortly) but it sounds like my method of changing the "Users" folder location was done differently than others here. Rather than doing the "Properties --> Location --> Change" method, during my last Windows 7 install I went into OOBE audit mode which allowed me to change the location of my entire "Users" folder which includes all users and AppData, rather than manually moving individual folders after install.

Posted 2 years ago

afuhnk

Can I get more info on that method please?

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.