raphoenix
raphoenix

Full Story
http://www.computerworld.com/s.....2012-11-20

Comments Welcome, what do you think ??

Posted 1 year ago

Superevil
Superevil

I can't even give away the free copy Microsoft gave to me. That says enough right there.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@Superevil,

If You like, you can E-mail me the PID for your copy of Windows 8.

I can use it with my downloaded ISO to install on another set of HDs and keep experimenting.

Please ask the Moderator for my E-mail address.

Will be happy to accept your gift.

Remember I ask FIRST before Irv S.

Thanks Seriously,

Rick P.

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

Comments, none.... really, just one persons (although highly qualified) opinion.

Some was based on the RT as well, and the ability to do tasks. Guess what, it is a TABLET, not a PC!

------------
Nielsen based his take in part on testing he conducted with a dozen experienced PC users, who were asked to complete tasks on both traditional PCs and on the Surface RT.
-----------

and

----------------
But testing revealed that users had serious and persistent problems figuring out what Windows RT wanted from them, and were challenged by relatively simple chores. In one test, the participants were asked to compile a list of three recommendations for a night out, send those suggestions to a friend and acknowledge the reply.

"That was enormously complicated on the Surface RT because of the single window model," said Nielsen, referring to the one-window-at-a-time UI for Windows RT apps. And even though the OS offers a split-screen mode, "None of our test users were able to make this work."
--------------

I've got iPad's and I'm sure some people would FAIL that test too!!! Hah, my wife likes to work FULL SCREEN (on a 24" display yet) and doesn't have the concept of Windows and clicking on part of it or the taskbar to move it to the top of the Z-order... anytime I want to check something on her system she closed ALL open apps... and I keep telling her she doesn't need too!!! Not taking odds she could pass that test on a PC easily.

As I've used W8 more it is W7 with some 'pain'. Pain being programs that no longer work. Pain being programs that while being installed pop and Live Tile on the Start screen too. Pain being trying to find something that has moved... or no longer exists...

One thing MS did do right I suspect is the SUPPORT model. One set of source code possibly for RT, PC, Phone, and many variants. Fix it once and you are done.

You have to think of things differently I suppose. Although RT has a keyboard, whom would use it over a PC for serious work? Storage is a problem in some respects. Why play with Live Tiles when you can do so much more on a PC? It does have its place, but I'd call the RT in the same place as an iPad, essentially as a TERMINAL, not a PC... you get your e-mail, surf the web, play some games, do some social network stuff, etc., but then I could be wrong...

Mr. Evil, send me the W8 you have, save me $40 upgrade fee!!! <VBG>

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

Superevil
Superevil

Do you have an extra copy of Win7 Pro laying around?

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

My MS Genuine Downloaded copy of Windows 8 Pro (ISO) will accept any MS Genuine PID.

MS sells PIDs and not downloads.

I need another PID so I can install Windows 8 on a second older machine to experiment with.

Rick P.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

From all I read about the RT it seems to be a bummer. I will get a 32GB Nexus 7 if I can find it at a good price on Friday or cyber Monday..

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

The MS RT Surface model machine is a "Bummer".

The MS Pro Surface Model of their small machine (Intel Based CPU) will be released in January.

Windows 8 Pro Edition Software is just Windows 8 Pro Edition Software.

I'm running Windows 8 Pro software on a large Desktop Tower Intel Ivy Bridge Platform Build.

I need a second Genuine Copy of Windows 8 Pro to run it on last year's Intel Sandy Bridge Build.

Rick P.

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

The RT is FINE as long as you know what you are getting. It is a TABLET, not a PC. Although with a keyboard it is probably better suited for 'light' input duty than a pure tablet.

Storage is limited, and there is a true 'apples' to 'oranges' comparison that need be made (no pun intended).

For instance, an iPad that is a 16GB model has 13.7GB's usable by the user. A 32GB RT had 15.7GB's usable by the user. The OS and drivers take a lot of space that 'you' can't use on the RT. A 64GB iPad model has 57.3GB's usable.

The Lenovo Yoga has a 128GB SSD in it, and no OTHER sizes are available. It is a PC, not a pure tablet. W8 will take a percentage of that drive, not to mention all the apps and pictures one would put on it. When was the LAST time you had a single drive that small? Yes, there are large thumb drives today, but do you really want to do that?

BTW, it really come down to what you want to do with it AND the apps available. From the Windows Store on W8 I see many that echo the iPad versions. Many, but no where near as many.

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Here is comparison chart of what Irv S. is speaking about.

http://winsupersite.com/articl.....son-144545

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Rick, I think they'll both be bummers. The mobile world is the world of Android - and a bit of Apple.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@whs, you could be correct but Windows 8 does run Good and Fast on desktops and laptops.

Just have to customize it to run mostly in Desk Top Mode and then use Start Screen Mode for the things that it does best quickly.

Once you get a machine setup properly for Windows 8, you'll never go back to Windows 7 as there is NO use to.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

You are right. It runs very well on the desktop. I have used the pre-versions since day 1. I have even done a series of Windows 8 tutorials. But it is so damn cumbersome to use. I'll stay with /7 - at least for now.

Look here how fast I was able to boot - and that in Virtual Box (the video is real time): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAJeKCeXlUU

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@whs,

Did You see that tip I posted about enabling Hyper-V in Windows 8 ????

Don't need Virtual Box if the hardware platform Bios supports Virtual Environment because 8 already has built in support.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

I saw that. But I was running Win8 in vBox (only way to record the boot process) - not a subsystem under Win8. But that is a good Win8 feature. The one I like the best is the automatic Trim during defrag (I think you also posted that link).

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Yeah, I'm spending all my time on Windows 8 now so I can keep helping others.

The New Computers are shipping with Windows 8 installed so it's not long before there will be a lot questions. :)

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

I guess it is time for me to retire. I am too old for that stuff anyhow. I'll go play with Android on the Nexus 7.

Posted 1 year ago

Fhirkin9
Fhirkin9

@whs, Retire if you must, but we can't afford to have you retire from this forum!

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

@Fhirkin9, That is very kind of you to say that. Thank you. I am not sure though whether everybody agrees because I am not always 'easy'.

Btw: Playing with the Nexus7 is a lot of fun. Another steep learning curve.

Posted 1 year ago

pookyface

I've been using Windows 8 Pro for several weeks and the only glitch was IE10 failing to download, this was corrected by sfc /scannow.
I agree that Windows 8 is difficult to use, certainly some head scratching is needed to execute what was a simple task on Windows 7.
Embracing all platforms design concept has made Windows 8 a jack of all trades and master of none IMHO!
I have bypassed the Metro screen in favour of the Desktop and I find that more comfortable to live with, that and adding a few registry scripts to make context menu's a little more user friendly and useful, speeding up shutdown and boot times etc has made things seem a little less retarded.
I must confess I'm still not comfortable with Windows 8 on my PC desktop and plan to wipe the drive and return to Windows 7 when time allows.
Perhaps someone who has had no contact with earlier Windows OS's might take to Windows 8 like a fish to water, but for those of us who are well used to Windows 7 and earlier, it is difficult to forget the old and learn the new with its all platform embracing design. A strategic mistake? Yes, I'm inclined to agree!

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!