The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 8

Windows 8 success?

(13 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by phil4a
  • Latest reply from jmeeks49
  • Topic Viewed 1548 times

phil4a

You are publishing so many articles on how to do things in Windows 8 that we are all familiar with in previous versions of Windows. It seems to me to be a nightmare to swithch from Windows 7 that works so well. i suspect that most of us who have very recently invested in Windows 7 will not rush into Windows 8. With enough resistence from the people, Microsoft may very well choke on bringing out such a version so soon after seducing us into Windows 7.

Posted 2 years ago

whs
whs

Well, Windows7 has been around for quite a few years now and it is time to get a new OS. Question is whether Windows 8 will be attractive for the desktop user. The way it is layed out it seems to be mainly catering for tablet and smartphone users and I am sure in that market it will be a big success.

The new Metro interface is not to everybodies liking on the PC and it certainly requires some getting used to. Nevertheless, there are some assets in Windows 8 (e.g. speed, security) that will make it attractive. And all new PCs after the end of this year will come with it anyhow. So there is no avoiding it.

Posted 2 years ago

Sarris
Sarris

From my previous post:

"What is it going to take to get MS to understand that there are a lot of us who want just a plain old operating system. No games, no media center, no built-in browser or e-mail, no geegaw, just a plain old operating system. We really are smart enough to install the stuff we need. And NO, we don't want to go to MAC.

It strikes me that it would be a fairly easy thing to do (as outsiders are already doing, IE XP Lite, from the past). It's not like they don't make a pile of other versions anyways? It seems like all I do is monkey around with crap I don't need or want, trying to get a working professional operating system. Just install and give me a black screen with a taskbar, and I'd be ready to go.

Now, W8. I had it on a VM for a couple of weeks and it SUCKS!!! Geez, what is going on? Are 16 YO kids writing this (expletive deleted) or what??? Look, I'm 55, I don't use smart phones, tablet, PS, Facebook, or any other of the kiddie crap they have forced on us.

I WANT A SIMPLE PROFESSIONAL OPERATING SYSTEM. MANY OTHERS WHO ARE ON A COMPUTER ALL DAY DO TOO! ARE YOU LISTENING MICROSOFT?? "

I guess you can tell from the above, I'm not a fan. If you ask me, it looks to me like a they're starting a new Vista fiasco. The kids who "play" on computer will love W8, those of us who "work" on a computer will probably hate it. Let the kids play, I'll stick to W7.

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@Sarris,

You summed it up very nicely in your posting.

It's a "Generational Thing" !!

To stay viable, MS Corp must cater to the Younger Users in the New Information Age and leave the older folks behind.

Tis Very Sad but that is way of mankind from the dawn of human history.

The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit
Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

-Omar Khayyam

Rick P.

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi
Xhi

Bump

Posted 2 years ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

I'm stuck on W7 like some people still are on XP...don't want to change! If it's not broke...

Posted 2 years ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

Everyone seems to hate win 8 before its officially come out but give it a few years when the price of touch screens come right down and I have a feeling most will come round.

Posted 2 years ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

GS

Most people are Luddites, including me, at heart...learning hurts!

Posted 2 years ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

Tony,

You are not a Luddite, you are a geek. And geeks love a challenge ;)

Posted 2 years ago

jmeeks49
jmeeks49

GS,

Even though that the above statement that you made might be true and have some merit to it in my eyes MS has to cater not just to the 2nd generation (as Rick stated)but people who are running 7 and don't want to upgrade right away there are some of us who are on fixed income who can't buy a new OS every two years. Hell, i am still working on paying the two computers off from dell that i bought for my wife and i. I really don't want to learn the metro interface because as you pointed out the market for metro is for touch screens and wheather that's good or bad time will tell but i am afraid that win 8 will be the middle man like windows me was for 98 and XP i sincerely hope not but if you think back when MS was marketing windows me they was marketing it to be a bug fixer for win 98 to give them enough time to get XP out.

John

Posted 2 years ago

germ-x
germ-x

It all comes down to the corporate bottom line and competition. If they don't stay competitive there won't be a bottom line to worry about.
Like Rick said theyr'e not concerned about us older people. Time has passed us bye. Personally I was satisfied with XP lass all the crapware. Visited Vista for a while until Win7 came out and now I think I'll just stick with Win7. Heck in a few more years PS's will be obsolete. The smart watch is coming next.
It would be nice if we had a totally custom install option that would allow one to pick and choose what features to install or pass on.

Posted 2 years ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

John,

I do agree with you, I was just pointing out that in time things will become easier to interface with (even though it may not seem it now).
Many people hated win7 until they started working with the finished article and all that it brought to the table, a learning curve will always be there and win8 is no different but there will be a variety of versions of it, one with all the trimmings and one with the basics of what an everyday user needs.

I myself can barely afford a new pair of pants these days but as I say in time...

"Tomorrows another day". :)

Posted 2 years ago

jmeeks49
jmeeks49

me too i am wearing shorts to. lol lol lol i agree and i understand what you mean but unlike 7 8 has a different way to get to the main desktop and yes it will be a learning curve for those who want to go with 8 myself and i? are ok where we are at will i eventually go from 7 to 8? probably, but it will have to show me a little more promise than it has up til now. i never hated 7 was i skeptical? yes, like most new OS'S you never know what to expect but i guess MS is baking on 8's appeal of metro i guess time will tell.

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.