The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 8

Windows 8 security-Norton

(12 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by secretmechanism
  • Latest reply from secretmechanism
  • Topic Viewed 660 times

secretmechanism

Hi all I have just come from windows vista to windows 8 and apart from being slightly confused, lost, and frustrated im actually starting to find my way around, its gona take some getting used to, anyway to my question, Norton security was installed as a free 60 day trial and i want to uninstall it, any help on this would be appreciated, one other question is what do people recommend as an alternative that's been tried and tested

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

1. for uninstalling Norton you need this: https://www-secure.symantec.com/norton-support/jsp/help-solutions.jsp?docid=kb20080710133834EN_EndUserProfile_en_us&product=home&pvid=f-home&version=1&lg=en&ct=us

2. Windows 8 has built in security (the former MSE). That should normally suffice. But, of course, nothing is better than Norton. Maybe you want to keep it.

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

Windows 8 has Windows Defender installed by default and is extremely efficient. It is fact MSE as we know it in win7

Norton, McAfee often come packaged by the OEM manufacturer, they get a bung for doing so.

Personally, and with the machines I service, Norton is pretty CPU intensive (vista and win 7).

After uninstal of the 'bundled crap' and installing MSE and a few additions, machines run fine.

This is from personal experience

Mike

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Mike, I never had this problem with the recent editions of NIS. Norton was always smooth sailing and very efficient. With MSE I caught a couple of nasties that SAS found. But maybe the Win8 Defender is better.

I always got my Nortons for free. Maybe I would also first try Defender before I spent any money.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

Absolutely agree with VistaMike. Don't give your computer repair guy any more than necessary to handle.

Posted 1 year ago

secretmechanism

Ok Norton is now uninstalled even though at the end of instillation it said to restart and a button to click to restart which lead to it freezing and a window opening saying not responding so I just closed and restarted manually, and restarted my pc, after restart a Norton window opened confirming that it was uninstalled and to reinstall which of course I didn't, thanks again whs for the link, windows defender is on, updated, and everything says on or ok, not bad for a non tech head which leads me on to MSE im guessing this has to be downloaded? during the process something that's been a right pain in the ass reared its ugly head but ill search the forum for that one or start a new thread, thanks to vistamike and whs can I only accept one answer?

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

I don't really want to argue the points of Norton against MSE anymore. The problem I find with Norton is the total control it takes over your machine, tis a resource taker for sure as well

Personally Norton has given me much grief on many machines I work with.

I use; http://windows.microsoft.com/e.....s-download on my machines and clients

Edit, any answer is ok, if you have solved the problem, we can mark it as solved without accreditation

Posted 1 year ago

secretmechanism

Ill back you up on that statement mike, Norton has been a pain in my side many a time, thank you for the MSE link, which swings my vote in your favour

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

I have no stake in Norton and I really cannot argue if you guys have had problems with it. But at times, I ran 6 PCs with Norton and never had any problem. It is a very sophisticated program and you have to know your ways around it. But if properly setup, it does a superb job - at least for me. Saved my butt many times.

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

secretmechanism, please don't accept my suggestion as a pure resolve!

It is really down to the user and the way the user uses the internet

Edit, I have removed the 'solve' status because there are many here who can add comments and ideas

Mike

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

I run Norton ISS on all machines except a new one that came with McAfee. I have had ZERO problems with Norton other than an occasional 'warning' that is bothersome on new files d/l'ed, but I'd rather have that then just allowing them to run, it makes me think about it. McAfee on a new computer that is faster than any other here seems to have more of a load with it than Norton does.

I agree that years ago Norton was a 'load factor'. With today's systems you never know it is doing anything, however, I suspect if it were not there the system might run faster. Don't forget, a suite, like Norton's ISS is not just an A/V but a complete configurable Firewall as well, and if you want more there are other features like Parental Controls and a Date Safe, and more.

Like WHS, I get mine basically free on Black Friday sales, so I don't care to switch. Even then, the price, usually on sale for about $50 isn't bad for a year on up to 3 PC's.

Irv S.

P.S., not solving anything, just stating the facts as I see it.

Posted 1 year ago

secretmechanism

vistamike fair comment, anyways iv accomplished what I set out to do thanks to you guys, thanks all

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!