The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 8

Windows 8 Question

(7 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by katsmyname
  • Latest reply from mfletch
  • Topic Viewed 388 times

katsmyname

So, new computer with Windows 8. Great, no problem. Except, from Metro, how do I close a window, for example Internet Explorer? I have been using Task Manager to end task, but that seems kind of silly.

Posted 1 year ago

oldgeezer

When you move the mouse to the top of the Window it changes to a hand, you are then supposed to click and drag it to the bottom of the screen to 'close' it. Note that this doesn't actually end the running of the app, it just 'hides it, much like a tablet (which is what Win8 is designed for). The alternative is to press the 'Alt' and 'F4' keys which works with any version of Windows.

Posted 1 year ago

afuhnk
afuhnk

The alternative is to press the 'Ctrl' and 'F4' keys which works with any version of Windows.

You mean 'Alt' + 'F4'

http://www.howtogeek.com/11858.....windows-8/

Posted 1 year ago

oldgeezer

Many thanks - slip of the keyboard ;-)

Posted 1 year ago

afuhnk
afuhnk

It happens ;)
I got confused there for a second. I tried 'Ctrl' + 'F4' here in Chrome and it closed the currently opened tab, so I tried it with Metro apps just to make sure ;)

Posted 1 year ago

oldgeezer

I'm not called 'oldgeezer' for nothing, it#s only because I can't spell anything more complicated......

Posted 1 year ago

mfletch
mfletch

Move the mouse to the top left of the screen and a small window will show now move the mouse down and all open windows will show then all you do is right click on the window you want to close and click on close,

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!