(Solved) - Windows 8 opinions

(35 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by Tombaugh
  • Latest reply from raphoenix
  • Topic Viewed 2597 times

Tombaugh
Tombaugh

Hi everyone,

I'm doing a research report for my A+ class and I'd just like some input on your opinions of Windows 8 so far.
-Do you like the appearance and how it operates?
-Will you buy the full version?
-Do you feel it is an easy transition from your previous OS (and was OS did you switch from)?
-Would you recomend Winows 8 to your friends and clients?
-What improvements do you feel Windows 8 needs most?
-share anything else you feel is relevant to the topic.

Thank you for your time and any information you would like to share.
Lisa

Posted 2 years ago

whs
whs

There are tons of threads on the web where this is being discussed. Just look into the relevant Windows 8 forums. No need to repeat all this stuff.

Posted 2 years ago

Shadowstriker279
Shadowstriker279

HI Tombaugh,

A friend of mine installed Winsows 8 once, but unfortunately she didn't partition it so it wiped out all of the menory on her computer as well as the old os and alot of the programs and features on it didn't work properly either . She finally got Windows 7 back on her comuter, but all her programs and files were GONE and she could'nt get them back from carbonite either. To put it one way I think that Windows 8 needs ALOT more work.

Posted 2 years ago

Tombaugh
Tombaugh

I was using this section as more of a personal interview format for the paper, not my research. That's why I'm looking for opinions and only here.

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

This makes Windows 8 Acceptable for Conventional Work Place Environments.
http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/ 3.5.0
Mar 31st, 2012 - Version 3.5.0 is released. It adds support for Windows 8 Consumer Preview

Without This Change, the Windows 8 O/S is only good for Mobile Platform Users as it stands now.

Rick P.

Posted 2 years ago

whs
whs

I did not make any change to Windows 8 (who wants a 'classic shell') and run it on a desktop and a laptop. It runs perfectly well and is a lot of fun.

The CP is fast, reliable and runs all the programs I installed. People who make the wrong installation (like this lady who did not put it into a seperate partition) are doing it to themselves. No wonder she lost all her stuff. She just did not know what she was doing.

On the laptop I installed Win8 on a USB stick. Runs perfectly and is amazingly fast (I used a fast USB3 stick).

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

whs
whs

Rick, this is a lot of garbage. Win8 is perfectly usable on the desktop. Don't listen to these morons. They are the same crowd that were bashing Vista. I bet some of them have never used Win8.

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@whs,

Remember I'm the one that thought we should have a Windows 8 O/S Category and it was done.

As for Classic Shell, I have ALWAYS used the program because of the "Fly Out" menu system.

As for Windows 8, so far I have found it Awkward to use on the dining room table with a mouse & 24 inch Display until Classic Shell was updated.

I don't have a Tablet Touchscreen PC so really can't evaluate the Win8 O/S as MS wanted us to.

Rick P.

Posted 2 years ago

Tombaugh
Tombaugh

Whs:
You use Windows 8 from a USB, do you have a touch screen or a mouse set up?
What OS are you comparing it to when you say it is amazingly fast. How does it improve on Windows 7 or Vista for what you use it for?

Rick:
In your opinion Windows 8 is awkward from a physical stand point in the mouse/touch screen difference or are there other awkward factors?

Posted 2 years ago

whs
whs

I have no touch screen. Just a 22" desktop monitor and a 15" laptop where I run it from the stick. On the desktop I run it in Virtual Box where it boots in 8 seconds. From the stick it boots in 38 seconds (from event 100 in event viewer).

The performance I compare to Windows 7. I still have a couple of Vistas, but they are on older sytems. All my Vistas and Windows 7 run on SSDs.

Don't let anybody tell you stories. Windows 8 is a great system. I am running it since September 2011 and I am completely comfortable with it. We have to consider that these are not final versions. So some applications do not yet run very well. But that will be fixed. They are not going to ship defunct applications.

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Tombaugh,

This article sums up my feelings of Awkwardness in Windows 8 pretty well with the Exception of dual displays.
http://www.pcworld.com/article....._hate.html

I'm not a good one to ask because of Disability; have to use a Large Mouse in my Right Hand and Type One Fingered on a Keyboard with my Left Hand.

Also I have been working with Electronics and Computers since the 1960s so I always have a [ healthy ] skepticism of anything new.

Rick P.

Posted 2 years ago

whs
whs

This is a typical example how a moron would operate:

""To open the Metro start page, for instance, you drag your pointer to the lower left corner of your screen. A thumbnail image of the start page pops out. My instinct, honed by thousands of Flash interfaces on the Web, is to move my pointer into the popup and click. But in Windows 8, If you do that, you actually click whatever icon beneath the popup window your pointer happens to be resting on. In Windows 8, you have to keep your pointer off screen while you click. This change is easy to learn intellectually, but harder to make instinctual, given the years of conditioning we've had to do the opposite.""

A clever operator pushes the Start (WIN) button.

Posted 2 years ago

jmeeks49
jmeeks49

i will try it..

Posted 2 years ago

Sarris
Sarris

From my previous post:

What is it going to take to get MS to understand that there are a lot of us who want just a plain old operating system. No games, no media center, no built-in browser or e-mail, no geegaw, just a plain old operating system. We really are smart enough to install the stuff we need. And NO, we don't want to go to MAC.

It strikes me that it would be a fairly easy thing to do (as outsiders are already doing, IE XP Lite, from the past). It's not like they don't make a pile of other versions anyways? It seems like all I do is monkey around with crap I don't need or want, trying to get a working professional operating system. Just install and give me a black screen with a taskbar, and I'd be ready to go.

Now, W8. I had it on a VM for a couple of weeks and it SUCKS!!! Geez, what is going on? Are 16 YO kids writing this shit or what??? Look, I'm 55, I don't use smart phones, tablet, PS, Fackbook, or any other of the kiddie crap they have forced on us.

I WANT A SIMPLE PROFESSIONAL OPERATING SYSTEM. MANY OTHERS WHO ARE ON A COMPUTER ALL DAY DO TOO! ARE YOU LISTENING MICROSOFT??

The above is really what 75% of users think, so.....who is the moron here? I think it's the sheople that accept this piss-poor product without comment.

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Where is the (WIN) key ??

I think Sarris is Correct !!

Posted 2 years ago

Sarris
Sarris

Rick, you make me laugh...................

Posted 2 years ago

whs
whs

Sarris, how do you know that: ""The above is really what 75% of users think"" -- did you survey the over 1 billion Windows users. Most people I talk to like Windows 8. I have even presented Win8 at my computer club and all members thought it was easier to use than Windows 7. And those folks were ALL older than you. A youngster like you should be more open minded to the modern world. I am 20 years older than you and like progress.

For users with reduced requirements like yours I can recommend Puppy Linux. No superfluous function.

Posted 2 years ago

Sarris
Sarris

Well, I guess an old man like you has all the time in the world to screw with totally useless stuff. I, however, don't. WORK. I do work all day on my computer and I give less than a damn about all the gee-gaw and crap. And EVERYONE I talk to (not scientific, mind you) hates it. Most IT pros hate it as well.

Also, progress is a forward movement. Windows 8 is backward, confusing, and setup for tablet use. I have a desktop computer with a mouse and a keyboard. It takes double the clicks to open programs and I don't have the time to waste.

I want what I stated above. A black screen with a task bar. I can handle the rest.

I'm done.

PS: Screw Linux!

Posted 2 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

The fact of the matter remains when you remove all the 'personal' feelings from the issue is a simple one and one other caveat.

Can MS build a system that can be maintained and still work across many interfaces and devices?

Can or will the end-users be able to easily navigate and switch operational modes?

The first is imperative in terms of support. One set of source code, one fix, albeit, there could be many branches in the code to support different systems. Single source allows fixes to be made to all versions easily.

The last one is really end-user training and resistance. Are users 'willing' to switch how they operate. Can MS make the look and feel be seamless between mouse/keyboard, touch screens, and mobile devices, both phone and tablets?

One major change now is 'no close button'. You just don't end tasks/programs. You 'switch away' from it and the OS will 'kill' it when need be. Are the millions of mouse/keyboard users going to 'like' this and easily adapt? Navigation IS different, but I'm confident 3rd party developers will 'fix' that.

Of more importance are the 'new things', like an apps store. Also will W8 create new h/w sales where touch screens become the norm?

Lastly, what is it IN W8 that will make people to want to switch? Or will this be 'forced' on you when you buy new computers?

Think of Apple though... they have computers and phones and tablets. Each sort of works different, or I should say the desktop/laptops vs. phones and tablets. No forcing one on the others. However, Apple does have to support more than one OS. Who is right here, Apple or MS, and don't forget the other fringe players today as well.

This is all about 'dominance' and 'where the money is', nothing else.

Irv S.

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!