• Latest reply from raphoenix
  • Topic Viewed 2597 times

Sarris
Sarris

I think MS has their head up their ass.

Posted 2 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

Sarris, I don't think so, at least not in the planning for the future.

The posture is correct, one code source, runs on everything. The implementation, that is something else. What one can do with a finger or fingers isn't always going to translate well into mouse and keyboard methods.

Look back though... DOS, we all knew how to issue commands and run the rudimentary DOS executables. Today, this is done via the GUI mostly. How many times do you see people post here how to run DOS commands? People FORGOT.

Win3.x was the first 'real' windows, the first 2 and some other vendor tries were just that.

We've moved forward. We've changed the way we compute.

The real question isn't 'one size fits all' but 'can it'?

Irv S.

Posted 2 years ago

Sarris
Sarris

Yeah Irv, I know. I just find that the computers in general are becoming toys, not a tools. I want my computer like a toolbox. I want lots of storage space but nothing in the drawers until I put it there. And I want to pick the tools, not someone else. I also don't like it when the drawers are full of non-removable tools as well.

And no, one size doesn't fit all.

Now I'm done.

Sarris

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

I found the (WIN) Key, got a "boot manager missing" notification.

I think Sarris is Correct !!

@Irv,

Windows can't force anything on anyone, WPA, WGA, etc.... is all volunteer stuff.

And who gives a "flip" about an Apps Store ??

Posted 2 years ago

warlock
warlock

My opinion only, have been following the thread. I did not install W-8 but looked at the demos and other posted info. I agree with Sarris about the toy comment. That is what happened to cell phones also. All I want to do is call someone or text. No apps no internet, hard to get a plan without those. Some of the people at work might as well carry around a notebook as big as the phones are getting. Again as Sarris said, give me the computer and let me choose what I want in it.

Posted 2 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

Rick, "And who gives a "flip" about an Apps Store ??"

You are kidding, right? MS does!!!! Have you ever heard 'it is the apps stupid?'? That is what sells. I don't care what you think about ANY tablet, but what is the BIG differentiators between Apple and other tablets. THE APP STORE!!! And it IS a money maker for Apple and the vendors. Yeah, Apple has a TIGHT control on what the apps are and do, but that is what makes the difference. It isn't the volume either, but the QUALITY.

MS needs the APP STORE to be as good as or better than Apple's or they will have a hard time cracking the tablet market.

Have any of you actually used a tablet? Different animal from a PC, but other than the OS, one can do the same things. Some better, some worse, FAR worse. A tablet, and a phone, are finger devices mostly. Apple now has dictation on the iPad's, good for short e-mails (with some possible edit corrections), and it removes on headache or the need for a keyboard for some.

MS has competition, and they have to do something or the company could be in trouble. Even the model they use for Work and the office suite has changed. Some driven by competition, some due to a new model to retain the revenue stream.

OS's usually have an evolutionary step as they go forward. Think new file systems, or new h/w supported. What will W8 support that is 'new' or contain. No, changing apps and how they work doesn't count.

If everything was 'even' and you had all the apps the same on every OS, people would use what they want, Apple's, Unix variants, Windows, etc. but it isn't like that. You've both got invested apps, training, knowledge, and h/w that has to be supported, and you only have one path to do all this. Yeah, some can 'leave' Windows and do all they want, but not the greater masses of users. We're 'captured' unless we WANT to change.

No, you can't get a computer and choose what you want. That is backwards. You have to decide what you want and then get the computer that delivers that. What you want drives what you use (oh, I think were back to the apps?).

Irv S.

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Irv,

You forget, I KNOW all that stuff since I've been into electronics and computing since the 1960s.

I was speaking to the Apps Store from a Builder point of view.

The days are FAST approaching when I will HAVE to use a Tablet to communicate.

The very thought of being ripped off even more by MS and Apple is so depressing
that I'd rather not even think about the subject.

Rick P.

Posted 2 years ago

whs
whs

Rather than continuing with these doomsday scenarios and general unhelpful comments I think we should discuss where you guys see problems.

I have worked with Win8 for over 6 months now and have not yet seen anything that I could not do. All my applications that I have installed run - even rather major ones. All my system settings can be done, all the system functions I use work and are very easily accessible. So what is missing.

The few additional applications that they put on the CP I just ignore. Most do not work very well yet anyhow. But I am sure they will fix that until RTM. And what is wrong with additional choices. Nobody is forced to use that stuff - but other people may want it.

So specify where you have real problems and we will see how to solve those. That would be a positive approach. And people who have only seen videos of the system and have not really worked with it should obstain.

Posted 2 years ago

youknowita
youknowita

for me, widows 8 is so far, my OS is vista. .......

Posted 2 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

Whs, I do have it installed in a VM, may not be a good indicator, but most of it works. I think Rick has it installed as well, natively.

First of all, I'm a firm believer in that a program, and to me W8 is a program, I use should be intuitive and I should have to read documentation to use it. W8 fails on this as it doesn't work like Windows does.

XP had a Media Center Edition. Reminds me of W8 to some extent. However, one could just stop starting the Media Center and you were running XP Home. I've not figured out how to make this happen in W8, but have not tried too hard nor looked for 3rd party apps to do this.

To me, Metro apps are geared toward user that are not using mice and keyboards for running.

Irv S.

Posted 2 years ago

Tombaugh
Tombaugh

Great info, a little hot at times but great info.

So, why if you are are so experienced in this sort of electronics/computer building do you expect MS to build your dream OS? If you like the idea of an empty tool box as I'm sure others would, build it and they will come. Sit on the sidelines and complain about what is on the shelf and they will just pitty you and walk away. I think Sarris has a great idea, for some.

I agree with whs, to live is to evolve, to evolve you have to get out of your element and really make a go of something new and different.

I've been a computer USER for 20+ years, but being a woman, I felt like an outsider when I asked newbie tech questions. Now I just ask, time is precious and I want to know.

This is VERY helpful for my opinion section of my research report. I thank you ALL very much for your honest input.

Lisa T.

Posted 2 years ago

whs
whs

Lisa, this is a classic discussion between people who like and those that don't like. The ones who like usually have some decent experience with the product and have tried all angles. The ones that don't like usually go by hearsay (remind you the MS Mojave project with Vista).

I can deal with people who have genuine questions after they tried a product and discovered some hard stops - or what they think is a hard stop. But people who only voice opinions and rant are no serious didcussion partners - especially when it is obvious that they know nothing.

Accepted Answer · Posted 2 years ago

Veegertx
Veegertx

Gosh I missed this.
Want me to get out of a shell i've been in since Win 3.1? I Agree with Sarris. There are some want an OS to come up with taskbar and none of the junk. Win 8 looks like something for those that need lead by the hand. Yeah I have a technet subscription so have the latest and am not impressed.

And as usual who the crud they have making background images a 3 year old? That is one sick looking fish so I'm modding dll's and replacing them images to see if I can make it bearable.

raphoenix classic shell link is only thing makes Win 8 bearable for us old geeks. least till I figure out how to do it myself. Why do they not give us an option for Power User?

Posted 2 years ago

Tombaugh
Tombaugh

Well I thank you all for the input it was ALL helpful and I got the A I was after.

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Classic Shell (Redux Post)

Version 3.5.0 Supports Windows 8 !!

http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/

Enjoy !!

Rick P.

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.