How-To Geek Forums / Windows 8

(Solved) - Windows 8 official release date

(30 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Ara
  • Latest reply from Fhirkin9
  • Topic Viewed 1939 times

Ara
Ara

I bought a laptop within this month and bought Windows 8 from xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx for $15.
My laptop is Windows 7 Home Premium (64bit).

1. How will I receive the Windows 8?
2. Will it be Home Premium (64bit)?
3. Any idea when it will be released?

Thanks,
Ara

Edit by mod Link deleted because it did not work

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

Ara, could you please explain further?
Could you please post the specs (make and model of new machine) to see whether it is worth the upgrade, should you even need it.

Mike

Posted 1 year ago

oldgeezer

You need to register for the offer (you should have received details from the retailer) - here's the UK registration page: https://www.windowsupgradeoffer.com/en-GB/Registration There's also an FAQ page on the same site.

Just noticed you priced in dollars so here's the US site:

http://www.windowsupgradeoffer.com/en-US

You get it as a BIG download initially - I don't think the offer includes media for that price. It is the 'Pro' version that you should be getting and you should receive an email with instructions on or soon after October 26th.

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

Given what I said above there has to be caveats before 'upgrading'
8 is a completely different operating system as we know it.
A laptop will not like it but a tablet might (if you wanna use one)!

Win 8 is going to be a very different environment from Vista and 7 and I think this is where we are all going wrong.

On a personal basis, I will not be using 8 as an operating system.
On a business basis, nor will my business clients be even thinking about it. (just got some out of XP)

As an everyday win 8 user, that user is gonna be completely confused and bored.

Posted 1 year ago

Fhirkin9
Fhirkin9

It seems definitely to be geared toward a tablet, but once you get used to it, its not that big a deal. I will be buying Win8 Pro. I have enjoyed the Preview, and do not have any other Win license, so getting the new 8 will make sense, but, and this is the deal breaker, only if the rumored ability to downgrade my machine back to 7 Pro for free (or any other Windows after XP) is true. That is, if I eventually get sick of having to leave the Metro side and hit the desktop side. I have adapted to ignoring the Metro interface for the most part, but this is not a tablet or touchscreen. Microsoft will have (if they don't already have) an online tool to determine if a currently running Win7 PC will run Win8.

Posted 1 year ago

NSDCars5
NSDCars5

Yes, you can downgrade to Windows 7 or Vista, but only if your computer comes pre-installed with Windows 8. Not with the upgrade offer. But you can use the factory restore partition/disc to come back to W7, if your notebook comes with it.

Posted 1 year ago

Fhirkin9
Fhirkin9

I would be purchasing the Retail, full Win8 Pro...software only. I like my PC ! This article talks about using "Legacy mode" in the BIOS to downgrade,,,it remains to be seen if it holds true. Downgrade rights ?

Posted 1 year ago

NSDCars5
NSDCars5

Quote from the article you linked to:
"Traditionally, downgrade rights are available only from OEM copies of Windows, those that are pre-installed by computer manufacturers. It looks to be the same with Windows 8: The software license for the retail version of Windows 8 Pro omitted the section on downgrades."

Posted 1 year ago

Fhirkin9
Fhirkin9

Since the retail version has not been released, I am going to wait and see on this part. It doesn't make a lot of horse-sense for me to purchase the retail Win8 pro and not get Win7 if I want, when, for the same price, I can buy a Win7 Pro OEM and then later purchase the Win8 upgrade version if I feel the need moving forward. Thanks for your input!

Posted 1 year ago

Kestrel10
Kestrel10

I have used the RTM version of Windows 8. It is horrid.
I will not be upgrading any of our PC's or laptops. Anything new that comes in with Windows 8 installed will be downgraded to Windows 7 before going to the end users.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@Kestrel10,

I don't understand your last posting ??

Posted 1 year ago

Kestrel10
Kestrel10

What's not to understand? Trying to warn others not to upgrade to Windows 8.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

But Win 8 is new fun operating system ??

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

http://www.engadget.com/2012/0.....whats-new/

@kestrel10, I guess you used this and didn't like it, and you take care of the computers in your company.

Posted 1 year ago

Kestrel10
Kestrel10

Yes, I got the RTM version via the Microsoft licensing site, as it gives us access to the latest versions with our site agreement. I do indeed look after the computers & network, so this is my opinion.
Others may love it, but I find the interface to be very bad for a computer. A touch pad would be the best choice for Windows 8, as it is slightly reminiscent of IOS5 - 6 on the ipad & Andriod.
I feel it is a bad choice for a desktop environment & users will soon get tired of it not working the way they are used to. I know my users would, they are impatient at the best of times :-)

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

Thanks for your input.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Informative !

Posted 1 year ago

Kestrel10
Kestrel10

No problem, I would prefer to give my opinion than see others disappointed if they upgrade & are not aware of the interface.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Yeah Thanks ! I'm kinda new to computing. :)

Posted 1 year ago

Superevil
Superevil

@Fhirkin9

I'll be aquiring a copy of Win8 Pro from Microsoft for free shortly after the release and have no desire for it so if you have an unused Windows 7 license you'd like to trade for it, let me know.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!